Hard tail or full suspension?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • creekster
    It is NOT a monkey!
    • Nov 2008
    • 22661

    #1

    Hard tail or full suspension?

    I am planning on replacing my old mountain bike, which in the day was a decent bike: a cannondale Jekyll with fulkl suspension, hydraulic hayes brakes etc. But it is worn, the shocks need to be rebuilt and the total for repairs makes it not cost effective to fix it, so a new one it is. I am torn between hard tail and full suspenion. Any thoughts or suggestions?

    I dont ride a mountain bike that often, btw, and when I do it is all off road, as I have a touring frame I can use ofr loaded riding with rack and other bikes for other purposes. SO this is just for off road. WHen I do ride off road I do all sorts fo types of riding. Hence my quandry.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.
  • Uncle Ted
    The Big 12 money shot.
    • Apr 2010
    • 28853

    #2
    Originally posted by creekster View Post
    I am planning on replacing my old mountain bike, which in the day was a decent bike: a cannondale Jekyll with fulkl suspension, hydraulic hayes brakes etc. But it is worn, the shocks need to be rebuilt and the total for repairs makes it not cost effective to fix it, so a new one it is. I am torn between hard tail and full suspenion. Any thoughts or suggestions?

    I dont ride a mountain bike that often, btw, and when I do it is all off road, as I have a touring frame I can use ofr loaded riding with rack and other bikes for other purposes. SO this is just for off road. WHen I do ride off road I do all sorts fo types of riding. Hence my quandry.
    I think you should get both. Besides it is good for the economy to spend money.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

    Comment

    • ERCougar
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 10978

      #3
      IMO, a full suspension is for people who want to ride aggressively. And by aggressively, I mean fast--faster than most people's caution will allow them to go. I guess it's also nice if you ride exclusively washboard roads, but then you need to find a funner place to ride. Bike shops will tell old guys that their backs will thank them for the full suspension, but I think this is overblown. You pay a lot for full suspension, both in cost and weight, and I just don't think it's worth it for most folks. Slow down and your back will be just fine.
      That said, I ride a full suspension, but I ride a lot harder than most people. Even so, I still have kept around my hardtail because I love the climbing ability.

      You're smarter than this, so I know you won't, but if anyone else is reading this, don't go cheap full suspension. That is by far the worst choice.

      Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

      Comment

      • creekster
        It is NOT a monkey!
        • Nov 2008
        • 22661

        #4
        Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
        IMO, a full suspension is for people who want to ride aggressively. And by aggressively, I mean fast--faster than most people's caution will allow them to go. I guess it's also nice if you ride exclusively washboard roads, but then you need to find a funner place to ride. Bike shops will tell old guys that their backs will thank them for the full suspension, but I think this is overblown. You pay a lot for full suspension, both in cost and weight, and I just don't think it's worth it for most folks. Slow down and your back will be just fine.
        That said, I ride a full suspension, but I ride a lot harder than most people. Even so, I still have kept around my hardtail because I love the climbing ability.

        You're smarter than this, so I know you won't, but if anyone else is reading this, don't go cheap full suspension. That is by far the worst choice.

        Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
        I am fortunate to have quite a few fun trails within a mile or two of my house. Both fire roads and single track. PLus I like to go fast and there is nothing like floating down a techinicla single track on a full suspension. THat said, climbing with one makes me curse on almost every stroke. A hard choice.

        Maybe Ted is right, both would be great, but I need to convince my wife.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

        Comment

        • ERCougar
          Junior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 10978

          #5
          Originally posted by creekster View Post
          I am fortunate to have quite a few fun trails within a mile or two of my house. Both fire roads and single track. PLus I like to go fast and there is nothing like floating down a techinicla single track on a full suspension. THat said, climbing with one makes me curse on almost every stroke. A hard choice.

          Maybe Ted is right, both would be great, but I need to convince my wife.
          Then get a good full suspension. The climbing difference isn't that huge, I think. The mistake I see people make is that they buy a cheap full suspension or they spend way you too much for the kind of the rider that they are.

          A 29er will smooth out a lot of those fire road bumps. The best rider I know just bought a new hardtail 29er.

          Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
          At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

          Comment

          • creekster
            It is NOT a monkey!
            • Nov 2008
            • 22661

            #6
            Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
            Then get a good full suspension. The climbing difference isn't that huge, I think. The mistake I see people make is that they buy a cheap full suspension or they spend way you too much for the kind of the rider that they are.

            A 29er will smooth out a lot of those fire road bumps. The best rider I know just bought a new hardtail 29er.

            Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
            The 29er does look appealing, but I have heard mixed things about the size for single track.

            INterestingly, the shop I am frequenting is trying to push me into a hardtail instead of full suspension. I think they have a lot of hard tail stock.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

            Comment

            Working...