Cycling Miscellany

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OceanBlue
    replied
    20 miles with a new chain and cassette. Feels like a new bike. Riders in front of me no longer hear me coming !

    30 minute run run tonight. 185 lbs this morning from 208ish nine weeks ago.
    Last edited by OceanBlue; 07-28-2014, 04:39 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • OceanBlue
    replied
    20 miler at day break. I wish I was more of a morning guy during the week because it is so much more mellow on the roads at that hour...cooler too. 134 miles for the week. Not bad given the back and hand problems early in the week that lead to bike being refitted. Next week starts my ninth week.

    Snuck in a 30 minute run this afternoon. First run in 8 weeks since Achilles sidelined me. Acupuncture got rid pain but I did feel minor discomfort today at end of run today.
    I've got my eye on a spring duathlon.
    Last edited by OceanBlue; 07-26-2014, 02:34 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • OceanBlue
    replied
    20 miler. Pretty nice ride against wind on the way out and 20 plus mph on the way back. I want a bike as light as my wife's new bike.

    Leave a comment:


  • mtnbiker
    replied
    Originally posted by OceanBlue View Post
    16 miles today as it was storming and I snuck a ride in before the weather got too bad. Bought my wife an entry level Cannondale today. Hopefully we can do some riding.
    Nice! My wife started with a Cannondale, and it served her well. Now you'll have to teach her how to draft so she doesn't get frustrated with the headwinds.

    Leave a comment:


  • OceanBlue
    replied
    16 miles today as it was storming and I snuck a ride in before the weather got too bad. Bought my wife an entry level Cannondale today. Hopefully we can do some riding.

    Leave a comment:


  • OceanBlue
    replied
    That's really very nice of you and I'll run it by him and send something your way as the time gets closer. Much appreciated. The selecting of bishoprics in Provo for students must be a huge undertaking. I'm pretty sure his email said the Bishop is a U guy. Should be interesting.

    Leave a comment:


  • mtnbiker
    replied
    Originally posted by OceanBlue View Post
    I'm about 5 foot 9 and a half and I'm riding a 54 and the bike I looked at was a 52 but it was a bad fit.

    Not related to biking but my son, a soon to be freshmen at BYU, was assigned to the Provo YSA 50th ward. It is hitting home that he is leaving in a month. From the barrier islands of North Carolina to Provo Utah. Culture shock ?
    I'm only an inch or so taller, and I'm riding a 54. Just think, though, my first road bike was a 59. Talk about stretched out. A more relaxed riding position is much better for me.

    If you send your son's contact info, we might have to see about inviting him over for brisket or something from the smoker. How's that for culture shock?

    Leave a comment:


  • OceanBlue
    replied
    Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
    How tall are you, and what size frame are you riding now? How tall is your seat post? Want to post a pic of it and maybe of you on it?
    I'm about 5 foot 9 and a half and I'm riding a 54 and the bike I looked at was a 52 but it was a bad fit.

    Not related to biking but my son, a soon to be freshmen at BYU, was assigned to the Provo YSA 50th ward. It is hitting home that he is leaving in a month. From the barrier islands of North Carolina to Provo Utah. Culture shock ?
    Last edited by OceanBlue; 07-23-2014, 08:14 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • PaloAltoCougar
    replied
    Originally posted by creekster View Post
    More like 30 years. I so remember how guys in the peloton complained about index shifting because other riders could hear that you were changing gears and also tell how many you had changed!
    When we're going up a long grade, I'll occasionally upshift 2-3 gears as I rise out of the pedals for an extra push. Mrs. PAC hates that sound as she thinks/knows I'm about to throw down and break away, although she quickly answers.

    Leave a comment:


  • mtnbiker
    replied
    Originally posted by OceanBlue View Post
    Did my daily 20 miler. After spending a hour and a half in the bike shop I got my bike refitted. The owner of the LBS also watched me ride and told me some things. These last eight weeks I've been riding a good bit of the time in the hardest gear. Had no idea you were not supposed to because it felt fine to me. He changed the aero-bars to a position that is now much more comfortable. My back still bothered me some but not as bas as yesterday. The pain today could be from yesterday.
    There aren't too many bike shops that have real fitting pros. Glad you found one that works for you. It's interesting to see what a difference a lighter gear and higher cadence can do. I'm more used to grinding it out on a mountain bike, so when I go to a road bike and switch to a higher cadence, it feels a little strange for a while.

    Leave a comment:


  • creekster
    replied
    Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
    Index shifting has been around for over twenty years now. Reaching down to your down tube and having just the right touch to move from one gear to another was a real art back in the day.
    More like 30 years. I so remember how guys in the peloton complained about index shifting because other riders could hear that you were changing gears and also tell how many you had changed!

    Leave a comment:


  • RC Vikings
    replied
    Originally posted by OceanBlue View Post
    The carbon also has indexed shifting ?
    Index shifting has been around for over twenty years now. Reaching down to your down tube and having just the right touch to move from one gear to another was a real art back in the day.

    Leave a comment:


  • OceanBlue
    replied
    Did my daily 20 miler. After spending a hour and a half in the bike shop I got my bike refitted. The owner of the LBS also watched me ride and told me some things. These last eight weeks I've been riding a good bit of the time in the hardest gear. Had no idea you were not supposed to because it felt fine to me. He changed the aero-bars to a position that is now much more comfortable. My back still bothered me some but not as bas as yesterday. The pain today could be from yesterday.

    Leave a comment:


  • PaloAltoCougar
    replied
    Originally posted by OceanBlue View Post
    38 miles on a bike I was thinking of buying. My back and the bike did not get along. Took my old bike to LBS and got refit. I was told by my bike guy I have horrible form and that's why I'm having hand issues. He did some adjustments on the bike which hopefully will help my back and hand issues.
    Getting fitted properly by someone who really knows what they're doing may be the best thing you can do to ensure comfort and performance. When we got our road bikes five years ago, the owner/manager of Palo Alto Bicycle, who's very experienced (rides with LeMond on occasion) and very gracious, spent over an hour with the missus and me. Since that time, with M-PAC doing most of the work, [humblebrag alert!]we've racked up over 35,000 miles combined on the same steeds with no back, knee or hand issues (knock on wood). The missus gets hot feet occasionally, but that's a shoe issue. Or an old woman issue, but don't mention that to her.

    Leave a comment:


  • OceanBlue
    replied
    38 miles on a bike I was thinking of buying. My back and the bike did not get along. Took my old bike to LBS and got refit. I was told by my bike guy I have horrible form and that's why I'm having hand issues. He did some adjustments on the bike which hopefully will help my back and hand issues.

    Leave a comment:

Working...