Cycling Miscellany

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bo Diddley
    replied
    Originally posted by OceanBlue View Post
    19 miles with little wind and low temps. For the first time I did not feel like this was a challenge. Time for a longer ride. If the weather is right tomorrow will be a forty miler. When I ride in the morning I don't eat or drink anything before ride. Today the ride was late and I had eaten. Maybe it made ride easier ?

    Bo, I'm pretty new to everyday riding(7th week) I think I've started to plateau and adjustments will be made. To me the weather plays a large role on the type of workout I have. The more hot and humid the tougher the ride. I have a running background(10 marathons,sub 1;20 half) and I'm not beat up like I was back when I trained sixty miles a week. I may try doubles some days as well making one day a week a long ride.
    I've done a lot of running just because of my job. I love how much easier cycling is on the body.

    Leave a comment:


  • OceanBlue
    replied
    19 miles with little wind and low temps. For the first time I did not feel like this was a challenge. Time for a longer ride. If the weather is right tomorrow will be a forty miler. When I ride in the morning I don't eat or drink anything before ride. Today the ride was late and I had eaten. Maybe it made ride easier ?

    Bo, I'm pretty new to everyday riding(7th week) I think I've started to plateau and adjustments will be made. To me the weather plays a large role on the type of workout I have. The more hot and humid the tougher the ride. I have a running background(10 marathons,sub 1;20 half) and I'm not beat up like I was back when I trained sixty miles a week. I may try doubles some days as well making one day a week a long ride.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bo Diddley
    replied
    How long do you feel like the training curve for cycling is? At some point, you surely plateau in your performance. No doubt there are fitness factors, but for an otherwise fit person, there's going to be a lot of muscle training in the trunk. What has been your experience?

    Leave a comment:


  • OceanBlue
    replied
    Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
    Why steel? I haven't read anything on this, so I don't have any opinion...just curious.
    I'm no expert but steel last longer and is just a tad heavier but not enough for most to notice. Steel also has more give. This is just from me reading reviews and not from experience. Maybe RC or someone else can explain more.

    Leave a comment:


  • mtnbiker
    replied
    I like my carbon bike. It's very light, and at least as vertically compliant while being rigid enough in the bottom bracket as my old CroMo bike was.

    Leave a comment:


  • ERCougar
    replied
    Why steel? I haven't read anything on this, so I don't have any opinion...just curious.

    Leave a comment:


  • OceanBlue
    replied
    I ride aluminum as well but I'm thinking of getting a new bike in the next year. I have been reading about steel vs carbon and they sure have strong opinions on both sides. I will be taking my son to BYU in August and may drive up to Idaho and meet with the Kelson bike guy. I'm leaning toward steel myself.
    Last edited by OceanBlue; 07-16-2014, 03:24 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dwight Schr-ute
    replied
    Originally posted by OceanBlue View Post
    17.40 in a rush this morning but I snuck a ride in before a day of work.

    Carbon or steel ?
    Steel.

    Leave a comment:


  • creekster
    replied
    Originally posted by OceanBlue View Post
    17.40 in a rush this morning but I snuck a ride in before a day of work.

    Carbon or steel ?
    I still ride aluminum. What do I know?

    Leave a comment:


  • Pelado
    replied
    Originally posted by OceanBlue View Post
    17.40 in a rush this morning but I snuck a ride in before a day of work.

    Carbon or steel ?
    Steel. CO2 is destroying the world.

    Leave a comment:


  • OceanBlue
    replied
    17.40 in a rush this morning but I snuck a ride in before a day of work.

    Carbon or steel ?

    Leave a comment:


  • OceanBlue
    replied
    20 miler with lots of wind that is much easier to take when it's nice and cloudy. I should be living in Oregon given the weather I prefer.

    Leave a comment:


  • Lost Student
    replied
    http://www.ksl.com/?nid=1171&sid=30661279

    Did anyone else sign up for this ride a couple of months ago and get shafted? I took off the entire day from work the day before the ride so my wife could drive down to SLC to meet her father (who drove from freakin' Anacortes, WA) so they could ride together. They actually went to the fairgrounds that morning at 7am or whenever they were supposed to and were surprised to find practically no one else there.

    Smith guaranteed everyone would get their money back within six months.
    Something tells me I won't see a refund. Even if they do, it would be a pretty insignificant redress compared to the loss of time by my wife, my FIL, and me.

    Leave a comment:


  • Pelado
    replied
    Originally posted by OceanBlue View Post
    Not possible from where I live. The airport at First Flight airport is the start and finish of my daily ride.
    No other starting points or destinations available?

    Leave a comment:


  • OceanBlue
    replied
    Not possible from where I live. The airport at First Flight airport is the start and finish of my daily ride.

    Leave a comment:

Working...