No announcement yet.

Cycling Miscellany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to take another look at shoes and saddles.

My backside is nearly always sore. I did get fitted to my bike, which resulted in greatly reduced tingling of the "undercarriage" and toes. Moving the cleats on my shoes further back resulted in even less numbness in my toes. But I noticed Saturday that by the end of my long ride, it felt like I had been standing on a narrow/pointed rock all day - as my foot was sore right in the middle of my pad.

I can only guess that some combination of shoe and saddle is the culprit.

Any suggestions as to which you would look at switching first? I'm hesitant to do both at the same time, as I hear my high school science teacher's voice telling me that introducing too many variables to the experiment will result in inconclusive findings in the end...

Comment

• Greetings bikers, I too am now biking as nagging injuries have pretty much stopped my running. I'm on a used Trek 1200 and today I bought shoes and had clips put on. My local bike shop guy also informed be that if I keep my tire pressure at 120 instead of 70 I might go a little faster. Today I did twenty miles before going to bike shop then after getting my new stuff I did 15 more and rode a bit faster. I ride on Saturday mornings with a buddy from Church and he slows down for me and I'm tired of it. He bikes to his office everyday and has done so for about six years so I have to be patient with myself. I hope to bike four days a week at twenty miles per day then one longer day at about 50 miles and build up.The sixth day is for touch rugby or a track workout depending on leg issues.

Comment

• Welcome to the club, OB. I tend to keep my tires pumped near the high end of the recommended range, but my local shop now tells me that, contrary to my longstanding belief, higher pressure isn't necessarily a plus as it's better to have good traction and a comfier ride for best performance, esp. over longer distances.

If you can ride 20+ miles four times a week you'll improve rapidly. Good luck.

Comment

• PaloAlto, thanks for the tip on the tires. Knocked out 30 miles this morning and am feeling pretty good. I might try to do 50 on Saturday but we will see. I really would like to get to up to 20 mph as my "regular" speed. I'm at 16 to 17 now.
          Hopefully with practice I can get there.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post

2. I'm on a Fizik saddle and it's the most comfortable I've ever had but if you don't mind the extra weight, an extended breaking in period or the threat of them getting ruined by the rain then I would go along with Creek, buy the Brooks.
            These things?

http://www.amazon.com/Brooks-Standar.../dp/B00BCU5PJI
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by OceanBlue View Post
              PaloAlto, thanks for the tip on the tires. Knocked out 30 miles this morning and am feeling pretty good. I might try to do 50 on Saturday but we will see. I really would like to get to up to 20 mph as my "regular" speed. I'm at 16 to 17 now.
              Hopefully with practice I can get there.
              Oh, youth... 17-18 mph is my current cruising speed in the flats. At 20+ you're moving into the range of RCV, BigPiney and P'dip, among others. Of course, climbs kill an average (a few thousand feet of elevation gain knock our ride average to as low as 14, and 15+ is pretty common). Join Strava to see how you're doing among active cyclists in the area over the same segments. But be warned, it can be pretty humbling until one realizes you're being compared only to those who are really active and fit, not the vast majority of the local population that's home on the couch.

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                YES!!! That's just like my favorite saddle.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                  Oh, youth... 17-18 mph is my current cruising speed in the flats. At 20+ you're moving into the range of RCV, BigPiney and P'dip, among others. Of course, climbs kill an average (a few thousand feet of elevation gain knock our ride average to as low as 14, and 15+ is pretty common). Join Strava to see how you're doing among active cyclists in the area over the same segments. But be warned, it can be pretty humbling until one realizes you're being compared only to those who are really active and fit, not the vast majority of the local population that's home on the couch.
                  I don't have to worry about a few thousand feet of elevation here in far eastern NC. It's green grass and high tides forever. Humidity has been down the past few days which is nice. I'm going to check out Strava now.

I will be in Provo in late August, is that a fun place for biking ?

Comment

I will be in Provo in late August, is that a fun place for biking ?
                    I would recommend the Alpine Loop. It's a beautiful ride. However, I recommend you train on some hills before trying to tackle it.
                    When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

• Brutus, Just looked up the ride and that may be a little much, if I read correctly it's 5,000 to 8,000 elevation. The elevation here in our beach town is 15ft.

Comment

• Did we ever find out if GM got defrauded on his road bike purchase? That is pretty much the most interesting thing to ever be posted in The Bike Shop.
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Brutus, Just looked up the ride and that may be a little much, if I read correctly it's 5,000 to 8,000 elevation. The elevation here in our beach town is 15ft.
                          Sounds like you *might* be up to a leisurely ride along the shore of Utah Lake.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                            Did we ever find out if GM got defrauded on his road bike purchase? That is pretty much the most interesting thing to ever be posted in The Bike Shop.
                            DH mocks the cycling forum only because he's on the outside looking in and he so badly wants to be a part of the cool group. And he knows he's doomed for life of never having a Lotoja sticker on his back window.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                              DH mocks the cycling forum only because he's on the outside looking in and he so badly wants to be a part of the cool group. And he knows he's doomed for life of never having a Lotoja sticker on his back window.
                              If DH ever wanted to become an insider, he knows that he just needs to put a call into a certain former attorney friend here in town and accept the donated bicycle.

One call, that's all, DH.
                              I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Brutus, Just looked up the ride and that may be a little much, if I read correctly it's 5,000 to 8,000 elevation. The elevation here in our beach town is 15ft.
                                The missus and I have done the Alpine Loop (w/the Dude, mtnbkr, et al.!) and enjoyed it, despite living at sea level. If you can ride for 2+ hours, with the leg strength sufficient to crank at the speeds your talking about in the flats, the Alpine Loop is definitely doable (and recommended). Just prepare your self to muddle along at 6-7 mph for an hour or so.

Comment

Working...
                                X