No announcement yet.

2018 - 2019 BYU Hoops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Rose with some energy on the sideline right now.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Why do they ever intentionally give the ball to Worthington? Not smart!

Comment

• Embarrassing.
          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• We might not finish much higher than 5th this year.

I think Gonzaga, SMC, USF, LMU are all better than us.

Comment

• Not a smart team this season. Not impressed with the defense. Gaels got open looks all night. When they went to zone, it looked like nobody knew what they were supposed to do. Except for St. Mary's they knew exactly how to attack it.

It was the same story as most all of the losses this season - poor defense, bad turnovers leading to fast-break points, poor 3-point shooting, and poor free-throw shooting.

Not a big fan of the design of the offense so far. Yoeli is getting touches on the perimeter instead of in the paint or on the block. The few times he is getting the ball on the block, he hasn't been able to make the opponent pay for bringing a double team. All the ball handoffs up top rarely produce any kind of advantage. The offense is not putting guys in position to score. And I agree completely with whoever said earlier that they should not be going to Worthington intentionally as a scoring option. They did it on consecutive possessions and, predictably, it did not end well.

I'm kind of sorry that I found the game on the ESPN Roku channel after realizing my DVR didn't record it.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• this isn't rocket science. byu doesn't have enough good players. at last count, i think they had two.
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                  this isn't rocket science. byu doesn't have enough good players. at last count, i think they had two.
                  this isn't rocket science. crappy coaching.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    I hate to go this direction because I really like Dave Rose and he's done some great coaching in the past. But I can't see the talent issues they may have being bad enough to mean losing to teams like Weber State, or not being competitive at all with St. Mary's when the Gaels are having a down year. We have also seen these same players even this season play well at times, like beating the snot out of a good Utah State team or blowing out Utah, which are both better than some of the teams we've played embarrassingly bad against. In fact, USU is one of the best teams we've played according to the metrics the committee uses.
                    Last edited by BlueK; 01-07-2019, 08:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                      this isn't rocket science. byu doesn't have enough good players. at last count, i think they had two.
                      I agree there's a paucity of talent, but the reason for the lack of talent is the reason I think Rose has to go: 1. Lack of development, 2. Poor talent assessments, and 3. Early transfers/leaving early to go pro overseas.

There's a perception that BYU cannot develop you into a next-level player, and it's tough to argue against.

I think Rose is likely the GOAT hoops coach at BYU, but all good things must come to an end.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        nice thing about college sports is that even if you feel the actual coaching is amazing, i.e., X's and O's - but the talent is lacking, it is still ultimately the coaches fault. whether its recruiting, talent evaluation or player development - or X's and O's for that matter, ultimately this is definitely on Rose. that can't be argued.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                          I

There's a perception that BYU cannot develop you into a next-level player, and it's tough to argue against.
                          Poor performance right now is on Rose, but I think this perception of not developing some stellar raw talent is pretty faulty. Do we have specific examples of players who didn't develop into good pro players who actually should have? Mika maybe? But he left before anyone had the chance to turn him into that, if it was going to happen at all. He has coached some who became very good in Europe like Travis Hansen, Cummard, Plaisted... Over the years he has definitely recruited good college-level talent but really no one who was ready made or even develop-able NBA level, IMO.
                          Last edited by BlueK; 01-07-2019, 08:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                            Poor performance right now is on Rose, but I think this perception of not developing some stellar raw talent is pretty faulty. Do we have specific examples of players who didn't develop into good pro players who actually should have? Mika maybe? But he left before anyone had the chance to turn him into that, if it was going to happen at all. He has coached some who became very good in Europe like Travis Hansen, Cummard, Plaisted... Over the years he has definitely recruited good college-level talent but really no one who was ready made or even develop-able NBA level, IMO.

That's my point. It seems the perception is that there's no long-term value staying at BYU. We're not recruiting one-and-done kids, so it's pretty disruptive when players bolt for middle-manager money or transfer (whether forced or willingly) and succeed in other college programs. That's a Rose issue, IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                              That's my point. It seems the perception is that there's no long-term value staying at BYU. We're not recruiting one-and-done kids, so it's pretty disruptive when players bolt for middle-manager money or transfer (whether forced or willingly) and succeed in other college programs. That's a Rose issue, IMO.
                              This goes well beyond BYU these days and is a sign of where the college game is today. I recently read there were something like 200 college players who left last year with NCAA eligibility still on the table. Unfortunately, leaving early knowing your most likely bet is to play overseas is now seen by many players as a good option. One and done just means something different than it used to. And our very best players sometimes do fall into that new definition now -- maybe not after just one year necessarily, but it seems the culture around the college game has changed now to where it's gotten unlikely to expect any talent good enough to eventually be paid at any pro level to stay in college all four years. The thing is, Mika getting pro coaching for a couple of years now hasn't exactly developed him into NBA talent either. I understand Bryant leaving as he redshirted and had accomplished what college is supposed to be about in getting a degree.

Could a different coach have somehow gotten Mika to stay longer? Maybe, but that's not really answerable.
                              Last edited by BlueK; 01-07-2019, 09:02 AM.

Comment

• Hardnett is transferring. I fear that his leaving is not a simple issue of role or playing time. It seems that Rose is not connecting with his players and has created a culture where players, lesser talents and major contributors alike, take the first train out.

Comment

Working...
                                X