No announcement yet.

2017-2018 BYU hoops........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So if Emery has to sit for a few games for the alleged NCAA violation, how does that affect the team? Is it a non-factor?

Hopefully it's just a vindictive family member stirring up crap hoping something sticks and a Trib reporter gleefully trying to sling mud at BYU. I'm not sure how losing Emery short or even long term really affects the team though.

Comment

• Apparently the allegations aren't serious enough to put Nick on the bench tonight. That's good news.

Comment

• Originally posted by BYUMizzou View Post
        Apparently the allegations aren't serious enough to put Nick on the bench tonight. That's good news.
        Well, it isn't an official game, so I wouldn't expect anything.

Yoeli with 17 and 19

Comment

• Haws actually looks like he's in worse shape than he was last year.
          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
            Haws actually looks like he's in worse shape than he was last year.
            Childs looked pretty good last night. The rest have some work to do.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
              Haws actually looks like he's in worse shape than he was last year.
              Here are my very early season overly optimistic thoughts:

1.) I think Yoeli Childs is the best basketball player at BYU since Jimmer already. I don't know if that will be enough to move BYU off the bubble this year but having a legitimately good player to build upon is a good thing. Good teams usually start with really good players. I think Yoeli had developed into such a player.

2.) I think the defense is much improved. Along that thought I believe the Schroyer hire has upgraded the coaching staff significantly. That will likely have a bigger impact than I was expecting. I think you can see it in the efficiency of the offense and the effort and organization on defense.

3.) I hope either TJ or Elijah Bryant can step up and be a first team all conference performer. If that happens, then BYU will get off the bubble.

4.) I worry about the 5. But I think if the star power steps up and the expectations of the 5 are fouls, rebounds, make your layups and free throws and at least an effort in post defense then there might be enough on the squad. I do not include Payton Dastrup in those expectations.

5.) I believe the pieces are there that the rest each have the ability to step into a defined role and BYU will not be hurt putting Nixon, Seljaas and Hardnett on the court.

6.) I tend to think redshirting Emery might be a good idea for him and perhaps even the team. I think the kid is just not going to have his head in the game. I hope the NCAA can get its decision out and this entire bad experience for the kid (I am talking more the divorce than the NCAA violations which I think just make the bad year public and revisit it for him) can start to be put behind him and he can move on with his life.

I wonder if BYU had a practice earlier in the day before the exhibition? The team really ran out of steam in half 2.

Things are better than last year but the only way I think the improvement will be enough to get BYU out of the NIT will boil down, IMO, to whether or not Bryant or TJ can make that jump from good to very good. I think the improved coaching, having more depth and better role players will be enough if BYU's "b" option can be 1st Team all conference caliber. I am confident "c" and "d" will be 2nd team caliber (if Emery can find a role and not try to do too much), but to get over the hump I think BYU will need one more to go alongside Yoeli.
              Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
              -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
              -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• I've read several people saying that they expect hardnett to start, or at least play significant minutes at PG. How do you see the starting rotation settling out? I'm guessing it would be Emery, Haws, Bryant, Yo, and Nixon (based on all of the chatter about his fitness improvements since the mish). Any chance we seen Heljaas or Hardnett break into the starting rotation anytime soon?

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                  I've read several people saying that they expect hardnett to start, or at least play significant minutes at PG. How do you see the starting rotation settling out? I'm guessing it would be Emery, Haws, Bryant, Yo, and Nixon (based on all of the chatter about his fitness improvements since the mish). Any chance we seen Heljaas or Hardnett break into the starting rotation anytime soon?
                  Assuming that Nick Emery's eligibility situation works itself out favorably I think the starting lineup we have had in both exhibitions is what we see:

TJ
                  Nick
                  Elijah
                  Yoeli
                  Worthington

While Nick is out I would think Hardnett will start in his place:

Hardnett
                  TJ
                  Elijah
                  Yoeli
                  Worthington

I agree with the sentiment that Hardnett will essentially play starter minutes. He wasn't a bad shooter in JC so I think while his role is to be a pass first pg/creator he will not be a liability shooting behind the arc. He is a complete player IMO. I don't know if it will really matter who starts because I believe both Emery and Hardnett will both play 25 mpg and it will have to do with matchups/needs/who is playing well that day as to who finishes. I see Seljaas being more a role player being a shooter off the bench. He does not strike me as complete a player as Hardnett. I do not believe either Bergerson or Brown will play any significant minutes- barring injury or foul trouble. I really like the 5 perimeter players BYU has. I am an optimist but I think this is about as talented and deep as one can reasonably expect at BYU. Two black kids, only 50% RMs. These are numbers that will likely be the things people point to if the teams turns out better than many are expecting.

For the bigs off the bench I expect BYU to play Shaw and Nixon. No post player but Yoeli is good so there is not reason for delusions but I think all 3 can be decent enough that we are not enormously exposed with them in the game. I think all 3 can be steady. That has not always been the case. I am not as convinced about their steadiness yet as I am about Yoeli's star power - time might expose them to not being steady. But I really am buying on Yoeli. I think he is going to be really good this year.

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                  -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• That's not a terrible rotation. The lack of production from the 5 spot will be a problem, but I'm more concerned about not having a defensive stopper at the 3. Bryant is a decent defender, but he's not nearly good enough to be able to cover up for the poor perimeter defense of Haws and Emery. Emery can been really good when the effort is there, but he seems to take far too many plays off to be counted on consistently. TJ's defense is just as bad as Jimmer's was. However, The Abwow/Jackson Emery combo was strong enough to more than make up for it at the 2/3 positions.

Comment

That's not a terrible rotation. The lack of production from the 5 spot will be a problem, but I'm more concerned about not having a defensive stopper at the 3. Bryant is a decent defender, but he's not nearly good enough to be able to cover up for the poor perimeter defense of Haws and Emery. Emery can been really good when the effort is there, but he seems to take far too many plays off to be counted on consistently. TJ's defense is just as bad as Jimmer's was. However, The Abwow/Jackson Emery combo was strong enough to more than make up for it at the 2/3 positions.
                      We just don't have that defensive combination, but the 5 will be a dark hole or vacuum for production. Dastrup's poor play is one of the great disappointments.
                      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

I've read several people saying that they expect hardnett to start, or at least play significant minutes at PG. How do you see the starting rotation settling out? I'm guessing it would be Emery, Haws, Bryant, Yo, and Nixon (based on all of the chatter about his fitness improvements since the mish). Any chance we seen Heljaas or Hardnett break into the starting rotation anytime soon?
                        We don’t play a pg. any of the following can trigger our offense: Eli, TJ, Jahshire, Nick, Zac.

Comment

• Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                          We don’t play a pg. any of the following can trigger our offense: Eli, TJ, Jahshire, Nick, Zac.
                          I believe both Haws and Bryant have more assists than Jahshire through the two exhibitions. I think the way the system is set up this works well.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                            I believe both Haws and Bryant have more assists than Jahshire through the two exhibitions. I think the way the system is set up this works well.
                            I didn't watch the Exhibition but the close score worries me. Why was it so close?

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                              I didn't watch the Exhibition but the close score worries me. Why was it so close?
                              I don't know for sure and one very legitimate reason might be BYU is not that great.

I also thought I heard that BYU had already had a practice earlier in the afternoon. If that is true that really explains why BYU was so lethargic in the second half. Let us recall that with about 5 minutes to go until half BYU was up 32-10. Up to that point BYU had been efficient, and never hurried, on offense and had played very rugged team man-man defense. There was a lot in that 15 minutes to get excited about.

Lots of kids played that will likely not see many minutes in meaningful games. They did so when BYU already had gotten a huge early lead that Westminster just chipped away at.

I guess what I am saying is that game gave everyone evidence of what they are looking for. If you want to find evidence that this team is better and perhaps even good then I think it was there. If you want to believe we will be what we have been the past two years that was there as well.

My optimistic opinion is that things are getting better. I think that when the dust settles the addition of Schroyer might be the best addition. Competition has stunk when I watched and I am an optimist but I really think there is more structure and organization on both sides of the court.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                                I don't know for sure and one very legitimate reason might be BYU is not that great.

My optimistic opinion is that things are getting better. I think that when the dust settles the addition of Schroyer might be the best addition. Competition has stunk when I watched and I am an optimist but I really think there is more structure and organization on both sides of the court.
                                All of these explanations make sense. I like what I'm hearing but I usually do during pre-season. I was hoping the explanation might be along this line of reasoning.

Comment

Working...
                                X