Emery The Younger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by creekster View Post
    Are you confusing the right to do something with the prudence of doing something? No one thinks he doesn't have the right and ability to tweet stupid things. But the tweet about the coaching staff, coming as it did in the midst of a recruiting effort, was self-centered and foolish. Will it harm him in his life? Hard to say, but that isnt really the point. The point is that it was impriudent, self-centered, ignored the context that his own poor choices created and then, when he withdraws the tweet and posts a non-apologetic apology (read it, not a word of apology is there), he follows it up by congratulating the kid for choosing other than BYU. Nice work, Nick.

Maybe we can have a clear-thinking cage-match between Nick Emery and Jemele Hill; that would be entertaining.
    No, I'm not.

People make imprudent decisions all the time. Some with consequence, some without significant consequence. I think this congratulatory tweet is of the latter variety.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

To be clear, I am not upset. It just makes me shake my head and feel sorry for the kid. He clearly needs to grow up but, given all the chances he has had to overcome immature choices, I am not sure he ever will.
      At least he's not openly bragging about intercoursing intercoursing garden tools. So he's shown some base level of maturity. Plus, he's like what? 23? He's got some time to start acting and thinking like the middle-aged group of internet trolls we all are.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
        No, I'm not.

People make imprudent decisions all the time. Some with consequence, some without significant consequence. I think this congratulatory tweet is of the latter variety.
        No one has claimed, AFAIK, that there are "significant consequences" to either tweet, unless you include causing a large number of people who were previously disposed in your favor to now think, with substantial evidence, that you are a selfish, childish, jerk.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
          His actions leading to NCAA violations hurt himself and the program. Sure, if you want to continue to be upset with him over that, go ahead. His tweets? Not so much.
          His tweets about sketchy coaches and encouraging a kid not to play for the program, yeah that isn't helpful at all. He continues to drag the program into his mire.

Comment

No, I'm not.

And you continue to ignore the context of the "congratulatory tweet."

Comment

No one has claimed, AFAIK, that there are "significant consequences" to either tweet, unless you include causing a large number of people who were previously disposed in your favor to now think, with substantial evidence, that you are a selfish, childish, jerk.
              I think that is exactly the implied assertion being made by many in this thread. My assertion is that none of this really matters at all, so why are we (and so many others in the BYU fanbase) getting worked up about it?

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
                And you continue to ignore the context of the "congratulatory tweet."
                I'm not ignoring it. I just don't think that context is overpowering and provides only one lens through which to view his comment.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I think that is exactly the implied assertion being made by many in this thread. My assertion is that none of this really matters at all, so why are we (and so many others in the BYU fanbase) getting worked up about it?
                  Falafel, I like you, but wow you can be really obtuse sometimes.

Nobody is getting worked up! We are commenting on Emery's continued poor judgement. He posted a tweet that resulted in a long string of angry replies by fans. He is doing damage to himself. End of story.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

And this tweet shows just how immature and how little self awareness the guy has.
                    I'm not sure you can say that definitively, but whatever. I'm sure the thin-skinned portion of the fanbase could find fault with nearly anything he says at this point.
                    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                      I'm not sure you can say that definitively, but whatever. I'm sure the thin-skinned portion of the fanbase could find fault with nearly anything he says at this point.
                      They are only thin-skinned on this issue because of his prior tweet. He created the context. It is not fair to blame the fans for this one. They have been incredibly patient with him.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Falafel, I like you, but wow you can be really obtuse sometimes.

Nobody is getting worked up! We are commenting on Emery's continued poor judgement. He posted a tweet that resulted in a long string of angry replies by fans. He is doing damage to himself. End of story.
                        Imandlkasdjon is...and there are plenty of Cougar crazies that are freaking out about Nick on twitter. I actually think fan responses to Nick could be more detrimental to the program than Nick's little tantrum.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          They are only thin-skinned on this issue because of his prior tweet. He created the context. It is not fair to blame the fans for this one. They have been incredibly patient with him.
                          Until they weren't. I really, really wish that Nick had just kept his mouth shut. But fans piling on the guy was also not a great look for BYU. "Nothing to see here" was the right approach.

Comment

His tweets about sketchy coaches and encouraging a kid not to play for the program, yeah that isn't helpful at all. He continues to drag the program into his mire.
                            Once the coaches removed him from the program, he no longer has enough weight to drag the program anywhere. I understand not liking him, (NCAA investigations are never good) but his tweets at this point do nothing other than make certain fans angry. He has zero influence over recruits. Sure you can be angry, annoyed, bothered, or whatever emotion you wish to feel about it. I just don't know why anyone would ascribe any significance to what Nick Emery does at this point.
                            Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Now you're just being stubborn. I am always stubborn. Thus, we are on the cusp of a long exchange that no one else will likely ever read. But it goes like this:

1. He urges a recruit to go elsewhere--ANYWHERE-- other than BYU because the coaching staff is dishonest.
                              2. He withdraws the tweet but never apologizes. It was a curious construction suggesting to me that he posted only to calm BYU fans down without ever needing to actually apologize.
                              3. When the recruit chooses a different school he pointedly congratulates the kid (and is there some relationship there that would create an expectation of a public congratulation?) implicitly affirming his previously stated view of the BYU program.

Does it matter? No more than any of the crap we talk about here matters. Are we worked up? I am not, but some might be. ANd if they are they can easily justify it when a kid like that who took a free education from BYU, traveled the world representing the school, broke NCAA rules that resulted in injury to the school and his former teammates then turns on the program claiming the coaches are dishonest, presumably because they no longer wanted him. It is a bad look, might harm BYU recruiting, and makes him look incredibly selfish and childish.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                                You are ignoring that the annoyance here isn't based on some speculative analysis, it is a tweet on the same topic, the same recruit, and promotes the same implicit criticism of the coaching staff.
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                                X