BYU vs. SDSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYU vs. SDSU

I didn't get to watch the epic battle between SDSU and Utah, but I understand the Aztecs gave the Utes some trouble with their full court press. I'm wondering if SDSU will try the same thing against BYU. I can see how a good press would bother a team that isn't used to or doesn't like to play at a fast pace, but wouldn't pressing BYU be counter productive if you're SDSU? BYU plays best in transition and the press tends to promote a transition game. Wouldn't the Aztecs be better served by trying to force a half court game instead?
    Last edited by BlueK; 11-19-2014, 11:21 AM.

Stanford tried that last year.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

As soon as we beat SDSU we can move on to talking about how they're overrated and the win isn't really as good as we thought -- just like we did last year with Stanford and Texas. Although Stanford and Texas actually proved to be very good teams. The problem was, last year's team was a little schizophrenic. LMU, Pepperdine, Portland, Pacific were bad or at best, very mediocre teams BYU had no business losing to. And contrary to current popular opinion, Dave Rose's teams did not lose a lot of those kinds of games in his earlier years. Sure, there is a Lamar or two in his early history, but the fact is, if you look it up, until the post-Jimmer period, bad losses from Dave Rose's teams were rare. My working theory about BYU's inconsistency last year is that it had a lot to do with Matt Carlino's inconsistent play, but that probably isn't the only factor.
      Last edited by BlueK; 11-20-2014, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
        As soon as we beat SDSU we can move on to talking about how they're overrated and the win isn't really as good as we thought -- just like we did last year with Stanford and Texas. Although Stanford and Texas actually proved to be very good teams. The problem was, last year's team was a little schizophrenic. LMU, Pepperdine, Portland, Pacific were bad or at best, very mediocre teams BYU had no business losing to. And contrary to current popular opinion, Dave Rose's teams did not lose a lot of those kinds of games in his earlier years. Sure, there is a Lamar or two in his early history, but the fact is, if you look it up, until the post-Jimmer period, bad losses from Dave Rose's teams were rare. My working theory about BYU's inconsistency last year is that it had a lot to do with Matt Carlino's inconsistent play, but that probably isn't the only factor.
        I looked up Matty's stats so far with Marquette last night because I was curious. Through 2 games he's going for a little over 10 ppg on 34% shooting. So basically about what he did for us. I loved his heart and wanted him to be great but he just was too inconsistent. I did see he has over 5 apg though.

SDSU game tips off at 11:30pm for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
          I looked up Matty's stats so far with Marquette last night because I was curious. Through 2 games he's going for a little over 10 ppg on 34% shooting. So basically about what he did for us. I loved his heart and wanted him to be great but he just was too inconsistent. I did see he has over 5 apg though.

SDSU game tips off at 11:30pm for me!
          Yeah, his numbers so far with Marquette are pretty much what he did for BYU. Carlino is a strange player in many ways. He doesn't shoot well most of the time, but he can get assists and play decent defense. He can make his team look very good if he's making his shots, or very bad if he's not. The problem is he's such an inefficient scorer who has the ability to play a great game once in a while. He shouldn't be taking 9 shots a game if he's only going to make 3, but the temptation to take the game into his own hands all the time is what gets him and his team into trouble. He was pretty good with assist/turnover ratio, but the problem is a missed shot is most of the time the same thing as a turnover, and he missed too many shots. But BYU just didn't have enough decent shooters last year, so their best hope was either that it would be a night that Carlino was making shots (like vs. Stanford and Texas) or that we're playing someone that is far enough below us in talent that it didn't matter if Matty was 3-11 that night.

Chase Fischer can replace Carlino's points, but he's proving to be able to do it way more efficiently. Plus, he's a SG and can easily be replaced with Winder if he has a bad game. Much harder to do that with Carlino when you're counting on him to play the point. We'll have to see what happens, but at this point I'm really expecting BYU to be more consistent and less unpredictable than last year.
          Last edited by BlueK; 11-20-2014, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Carlino had the wow factor but we need the 3-pt factor more. Getting it past halfcourt against the press may prove a bit more challenging but I'd have to say it's a net gain. A lot of basketball to be played before that really plays out though.
            "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
              Carlino had the wow factor but we need the 3-pt factor more. Getting it past halfcourt against the press may prove a bit more challenging but I'd have to say it's a net gain. A lot of basketball to be played before that really plays out though.
              I am not worried about the press as Collinsworth is tall enough to see over it and pass over it.
              Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

I think we'll do ok against the press, and BYU is most comfortable in transition. Matt also had the bad habit sometimes of going into the air in the backcourt when being pressed, hoping to find someone to pass it to and not always succeeding. Since SDSU pressed in their last game, I'm pretty confident Rose will have them ready to expect it.

Comment

SDSU leading CSU-Bakersfield 22-12 at the half.

Comment

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                    SDSU leading CSU-Bakersfield 22-12 at the half.
                    A dominating defensive performance has Bakersfield in the game on the road against a top 25 team.
                    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

A dominating defensive performance from a team that just joined D1 a few short years ago. SDSU's offense appears to have major problems right now. As good as their defense may be, they'll need at least enough points to not look ridiculous to beat BYU's offense.

By the way, nice comedy from one poster on cougarboard:

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=13319565

Who will score for BYU? Geez, hard to answer about a team that averages 96 ppg.
                      Last edited by BlueK; 11-21-2014, 07:50 AM.

Comment

It will be our first test to see how the team will unfold.

My audacious speculation is that Haws Fischer Halford and Winder will carry the bulk of the load. We will get very little inside.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

SDSU's offense is really bad. I know the Utes were thumping their chests about their dominating defense, but CSU-Bakersfield forced SDSU to 14-57. 3-24 from 3. Polee was the only Aztec in double figures with 13 and it took 14 shots with just 3 made FGs to get there.

BYU will struggle to score inside the arc because of the length and quickness of SDSU. But my hope is that BYU can get some outside shots to go down that will open up things underneath. It will be a really interesting game. I really like BYU's chances in this game, especially since it is away from Viejas.
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                            SDSU's offense is really bad. I know the Utes were thumping their chests about their dominating defense, but CSU-Bakersfield forced SDSU to 14-57. 3-24 from 3. Polee was the only Aztec in double figures with 13 and it took 14 shots with just 3 made FGs to get there.

BYU will struggle to score inside the arc because of the length and quickness of SDSU. But my hope is that BYU can get some outside shots to go down that will open up things underneath. It will be a really interesting game. I really like BYU's chances in this game, especially since it is away from Viejas.
                            Sounds hopeful. A team that can't score against a team with a questionable defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                              Sounds hopeful. A team that can't score against a team with a questionable defense.
                              CSU-Bakersfield is no defensive juggernaut and held SDSU to fewer points than Utah did. SDSU's offense is that bad.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X