BYU Hoops 2013-2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
    Whether they are draft worthy or not is of little consequence but to answer your question, probably not. But it doesn't matter. What you should be focused on is the program's trajectory. IMO enough data exists to suggest 2013 was an anomoly and that with the current classes set to enter the program over the next 3-4 years, BYU will be in a prime position to make some good runs in the NCAA tournament.
    I don't think I have been this interested in a spring recruiting period for basketball in a very long time. Like you I agree that the future for BYU is very bright, but if we go into next year and the year after starting both Nate Austin and Josh Sharp at the 4 and 5 respectively I might lose the intensity of interest I have before we get to those promised glory days on the horizon. If Rose can somehow come through with Tummala and perhaps a graduate transfer who is a legit D1 4 or 5 it could go a long way to taking advantage of what I think will be two really good perimeter players the next two years in Carlino and Haws. Throw in the athleticism of Collinsworth and the hopeful scoring ability off the bench of Skyler Halford and the pieces are there for perhaps a run before the Lone Peak Great White Hopes get their feets underneath of them.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
      There are 4000+ D1 basketball players and 60 draft spots each year. lets say 1000 a year leave for graduation or NBA that is 1000 for 60 spots. that is .06 draft spots per player or .17 draft spots available per D1 team and you are wondering if BYU can have one each year?

I don't think so.
      Travis Hansen got drafted 10 years ago. Starting with him until today BYU has had 4 players drafted in Travis (who was probably the best wing at BYU since Richie Webb and much better than most wings at BYU since then), Aurajo, Plaisted and immer. 4 draft picks in 11 drafts. I think that probably works out to about 1 draft pick on the roster. A couple of years we might have where you have two. I think that is something BYU can accomplish.

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
      -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
        There are 4000+ D1 basketball players and 60 draft spots each year. lets say 1000 a year leave for graduation or NBA that is 1000 for 60 spots. that is .06 draft spots per player or .17 draft spots available per D1 team and you are wondering if BYU can have one each year?
        The numbers are even worse than that when you consider that a good number of those 60 draft spots go to overseas players.

Comment

• Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
          KC had a FTA/FGA ratio of 0.500. Jimmer's was 0.368 that same season. Carlino's was 0.188 last year.
          Great point.

Comment

• Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
            Great point.
            Any points that include Kyle Collinsworth and free throws are not great.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Sai said on Tuesday that he was still considering his top 5 which was BYU, ASU, Miami of Ohio, Pitt and Nebraska. Then it was tweeted, never by Sai but by various inside sources, the he would make his decision Tuesday nite. He did not. Then it was tweeted, again not by Sai but by various inside sources, that he would make his decision Wednesday afternoon. He did not. Then it was tweeted later Wednesday afternoon, again not by Sai but by various inside sources (this one a fellar named Pizza Pipeline who appears to be a BYU supporter and somewhat avid Cougarboard participante) that Sai was down to only ASU and Nebraska and would make his decision in mere minutes. The mere minutes came and went. More minutes came and went. I don't know yet where Sai plans to play ball the next 3 years and I can't really tell for sure if Pitt, Miami of Ohio and BYU have any more chance at this moment than Florida Gulf Coast or California Lutheran College.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                Sai said on Tuesday that he was still considering his top 5 which was BYU, ASU, Miami of Ohio, Pitt and Nebraska. Then it was tweeted, never by Sai but by various inside sources, the he would make his decision Tuesday nite. He did not. Then it was tweeted, again not by Sai but by various inside sources, that he would make his decision Wednesday afternoon. He did not. Then it was tweeted later Wednesday afternoon, again not by Sai but by various inside sources (this one a fellar named Pizza Pipeline who appears to be a BYU supporter and somewhat avid Cougarboard participante) that Sai was down to only ASU and Nebraska and would make his decision in mere minutes. The mere minutes came and went. More minutes came and went. I don't know yet where Sai plans to play ball the next 3 years and I can't really tell for sure if Pitt, Miami of Ohio and BYU have any more chance at this moment than Florida Gulf Coast or California Lutheran College.
                This is being reported with the tenacious accuracy of a Big 12 expansionist.
                Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

• I'm not expecting Sai to make it to Provo unfortunately.

The more I review our current roster the more I hope Mika is an immediate impact player. We are lean in the frontcourt.
                  "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                    Sai said on Tuesday that he was still considering his top 5 which was BYU, ASU, Miami of Ohio, Pitt and Nebraska. Then it was tweeted, never by Sai but by various inside sources, the he would make his decision Tuesday nite. He did not. Then it was tweeted, again not by Sai but by various inside sources, that he would make his decision Wednesday afternoon. He did not. Then it was tweeted later Wednesday afternoon, again not by Sai but by various inside sources (this one a fellar named Pizza Pipeline who appears to be a BYU supporter and somewhat avid Cougarboard participante) that Sai was down to only ASU and Nebraska and would make his decision in mere minutes. The mere minutes came and went. More minutes came and went. I don't know yet where Sai plans to play ball the next 3 years and I can't really tell for sure if Pitt, Miami of Ohio and BYU have any more chance at this moment than Florida Gulf Coast or California Lutheran College.
                    ASU

https://mobile.twitter.com/SaiTummal...92212429549568
                    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                      That sucks. Three weeks ago he was pretty much BYU's to lose.

Comment

• Ian Harward medically retired.

Also Brandon Davies is one of 60 players invited to Chicago for the NBA combine.
                        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                          Ian Harward medically retired.

Also Brandon Davies is one of 60 players invited to Chicago for the NBA combine.
                          Nice. I'm really glad to see he's giving it a real go. He may make a roster and prove me wrong. I really hope he does.
                          "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Ian Harward medically retired.

That's a big deal. Good for BD.
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                              That's a big deal. Good for BD.
                              It is a big deal. Portsmouth really helped him like it helped Travis Hansen. He an Olynyk were the only WCC players invited. Delly and Elias Harris were not. Harris is someone who should have jumped to the league. He was a late lottery pick once upon a time.

The Harward thing is interesting only because we have a week before signing period ends and we only have 10 scholarships tied up and 6 of those are only going to returning players. KC, Mika, Worthington and Halford get the other 4. Worthington may be playing a lot more than we expected with a lack of bigs on this roster. I can't imagine Rose trimming anyone else right now like has been suggested. We had just one scholarship available going into the offseason, now with Delgado gone and Harward quitting we have 3. Is there anyone else out there BYU is looking at? We need help down low bad. Missing on Sai was big. Had ASU not jumped into the mix at the end I am sure he would have signed.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

It is a big deal. Portsmouth really helped him like it helped Travis Hansen. He an Olynyk were the only WCC players invited. Delly and Elias Harris were not. Harris is someone who should have jumped to the league. He was a late lottery pick once upon a time.

The Harward thing is interesting only because we have a week before signing period ends and we only have 10 scholarships tied up and 6 of those are only going to returning players. KC, Mika, Worthington and Halford get the other 4. Worthington may be playing a lot more than we expected with a lack of bigs on this roster. I can't imagine Rose trimming anyone else right now like has been suggested. We had just one scholarship available going into the offseason, now with Delgado gone and Harward quitting we have 3. Is there anyone else out there BYU is looking at? We need help down low bad. Missing on Sai was big. Had ASU not jumped into the mix at the end I am sure he would have signed.
                                Where have I been? When did Delgado leave?
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X