No announcement yet.

BYU hoops for 2012-2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I've mentioned on here before, but I've watched and rewatched several games from The Jimmer season. I noticed at the time, but really began to appreceiate with each subsequent viewing is how good of wing defenders Charles and Kyle were. They both covered up a lot of Jimmer's defensive weaknesses. The both were exceptional at going from helping Noah/Brandon in the post to closing out to the 3 point line. This was especially true against SDSU and UNLV.

IMO Kyle can be a very effective 3rd option, especially if he can hit the 17 footer consistently. I doubt he will ever be a great 3 point shooter, but if his mid-range game improves it will open up his slashing.

Jay did bring up a good point, I had chosen to forget. How overwhelmed by the situation he was in the Florida game. The poor kid wanted nothing to do with the ball. It would be easy to bag on him, but considering I choke at making 3 foot putts, if a milkshake is on the line, I will keep quiet.

Comment

• Originally posted by byu71 View Post
      If the spread is that big I would be tempted to break my long term pledge to never bet on BYU and jinx them. Actually, if the odds were good enough on a straight up bet, say 3-1, I would really be tempted to put some money on BYU.

10 games at a neutral site, Gonzaga wins 9 or 10. However, they are going for number 1 and BYU has sucked lately. I am guessing the spread is going to be closer to 5.

Probably no one noticed but me. The spread opened at 5 and is now 6. I still probably won't be getting the respect I deserve from everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by byu71 View Post
        Probably no one noticed but me. The spread opened at 5 and is now 6. I still probably won't be getting the respect I deserve from everyone.
        Interesting. I thought it should be about 8, but they would give GU an extra 1.5 of love, due to their ranking. Oddsmakers must be feeling the Big Mac is going to have a big influence. Though the line is already jumped to 6.5 at several books; I'm guessing the sharps hit the 5.0 and 5.5 lines really heavy, early.

Basketball lines are much harder to guess (for me) than football. If I was to bet, I would stay away from 90% of all basketball games, meaningless baskets at the end of games, always seem to come back and bite you in the butt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
          Interesting. I thought it should be about 8, but they would give GU an extra 1.5 of love, due to their ranking. Oddsmakers must be feeling the Big Mac is going to have a big influence. Though the line is already jumped to 6.5 at several books; I'm guessing the sharps hit the 5.0 and 5.5 lines really heavy, early.

Basketball lines are much harder to guess (for me) than football. If I was to bet, I would stay away from 90% of all basketball games, meaningless baskets at the end of games, always seem to come back and bite you in the butt.
          In ESPN the Mag last week they had an article about a guy who made a killing betting O/U in basketball. The books back in the day would take the O/U and then divide that in half for the line at the half. Well the guy noticed a disproportionate amount of scoring in the 4th quarters due to lots of FT attempts in tight games. He was laying out crazy bets and killing it. Until the books caught on and started altering their lines.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
            In ESPN the Mag last week they had an article about a guy who made a killing betting O/U in basketball. The books back in the day would take the O/U and then divide that in half for the line at the half. Well the guy noticed a disproportionate amount of scoring in the 4th quarters due to lots of FT attempts in tight games. He was laying out crazy bets and killing it. Until the books caught on and started altering their lines.
            There are still holes available to be exploited (college football)....
            Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post

I don't bet BB games either, especially I don't bet BYU. Suprisingly I advise some friends from time to time and they have come out pretty good. Overall I think the bookies give BYU BB and FB more credit than they should. Indy may have statistics that prove me wrong on that.

This game though to me it is more about Gonzaga. They have a lot riding on this game. Number 1, 1st round seeding and more national exposure. Losing to BYU would be a bad loss, much like Indiana vs Minnesota.

Like I said before, if I could get 3-1 odds, I would be a bundle, like $20 on BYU winning the game.

Comment

• Tyler Haws gets some run in an article from ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ege-basketball
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                  Tyler Haws gets some run in an article from ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ege-basketball
                  I'm not familiar with the Lou Henson award. Any prestige associated with it?

Here is the list of 2013 candidates.

A couple of familiar names on there, including Dellavadova. McDermott has to be the front runner.

One glaring omission from the list is anyone from Gonzaga. Are they not considered a mid major any longer, or does the national media not think much of olynyk?

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                    I'm not familiar with the Lou Henson award. Any prestige associated with it?
                    It's often confused with the Lute Olson award.

Comment

• I have no inside knowledge of the situation, but have heard some rumblings: I would not be totally surprised if Carlino is not in a BYU uniform next season.
                      - See more at: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsby....XlP6rM9Z.dpuf
                      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                        I would rather Rose had said I should have put Matt back in. Goat has beaten this drum for awhile, a team that starts BZ just isn't very good. Add Cusick to that.

I like Jay Drew. He made good observations.
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

• I will be disappointed if Carlino doesn't play for BYU next year. He's inconsistent as hell, but he's a good player.
                          I'm like LeBron James.
                          -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                            I will be disappointed if Carlino doesn't play for BYU next year. He's inconsistent as hell, but he's a good player.
                            BYU will be a worse team next year without him. Period. Carlino certainly has his share of flaws, but if the light bulb can go on at some point he is an above average PG (relative to BYU's PGs of the past).
                            Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

• Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                              BYU will be a worse team next year without him. Period. Carlino certainly has his share of flaws, but if the light bulb can go on at some point he is an above average PG (relative to BYU's PGs of the past).
                              Agree 100%.
                              I'm like LeBron James.
                              -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                                I agree with this. It's been his style since high school to transfer when the going gets tough. I hope he sticks it out. Improvement from him will be key to being a better team next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X