Something is horribly wrong. Too many upsets. VCU 4th place in the Colonial. What does the tournament even mean when this happens too often?
What's wrong with the NCAA playoffs?
Collapse
X
-
What's wrong with the NCAA playoffs?
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
--Jonathan SwiftTags: None
-
I wonder if there'll be some pressure (from somewhere) towards contraction after this year and last. The power conferences have got to be a little bit pissed that the 4th place team from the Horizon League gets a ticket to Houston. Not to mention the slot Butler's been hogging for two years now!Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.
Dig your own grave, and save!
"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American
"I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally
GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!
-
What's the problem? The victories are legitimate, right?Originally posted by SeattleUte View PostSomething is horribly wrong. Too many upsets. VCU 4th place in the Colonial. What does the tournament even mean when this happens too often?
So what if they were the 4th place team. They WON. They beat a #1 seed. Kansas never really had a shot in the 2nd half other than a few spurts to get within 5-6 points.
Comment
-
No, I think we should have just had some experts vote on it. Save us all the hassle. You know: drama, magic, passion, excitement. All that nonsense.Originally posted by LiveCoug View PostSeriously. This is ridiculous. After the regular season, it should have just been an and one tournament with Duke, Kansas, Pitt and Ohio State."There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
"It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
"Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster
Comment
-
such is the nature of a single elimination tournament. If you have a bad night, you're done. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, rather, I think it's working like it should.Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
God forgives many things for an act of mercyAlessandro Manzoni
Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.
pelagius
Comment
-
Anything can happen in a one-and-done tournament.
If every matchup was best-of-5 or best-of-7, it would definitely be a Top 5 team that would win it all. Of course, it would also take way too much time to play that type of tournament.
If the NBA did a single elimination tournament on neutral courts, you would see some non-elite teams win it occasionally too.
Comment
-
Yeah, you're right. Winning a championship on the court is so much worse than letting computers decide who plays for it.Originally posted by SeattleUte View PostSomething is horribly wrong. Too many upsets. VCU 4th place in the Colonial. What does the tournament even mean when this happens too often?
I get the feeling that you're just ticked because your team is one of VCU's bitches."Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill
"I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader
Comment
-
I think winding up in the Sweet 16 with two double digit seeds between them and the FF and then crushing Richmond is the worst thing that could have happened to Kansas. They decided it was a done deal before facing VCU. Classic overconfidence. Pin this loss on Bill Self.When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
--Jonathan Swift
Comment
-
You're right. VCU had nothing to do with their win.Originally posted by SeattleUte View PostI think winding up in the Sweet 16 with two double digit seeds between them and the FF and then crushing Richmond is the worst thing that could have happened to Kansas. They decided it was a done deal before facing VCU. Classic overconfidence. Pin this loss on Bill Self."Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill
"I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader
Comment
-
-
I think a bowl system in college basketball would be awesome!"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf
Comment
-
SU:
I'm not implying you said (or think) this. Just thoughts of mine.
People talked about how amazing it was that U Conn won 5 in a row to win the big east tourney. Hey, even the selection committee awarded them. This is after their regular season which wasn't the best.
Fast foward to today. VCU wins 5 straight and in final four. Do we think they are deserving of the best four, even though their regular season wasn't the best? There are similarities to both situations.
Just thoughts. Do we think that the winner of the tourney is the best team?"Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"
"So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"
Comment
-
Hats off to VCU for winning five straight games. Doesn't change my mind that the First Four is a stupid idea and needs to be done away with. Unfortunately, the powers-that-be are probably sold on the idea with VCU's performance. If anything, it just gives more ammo to those who think expanding the tournament even more is a good idea.Originally posted by SeattleUte View PostSomething is horribly wrong. Too many upsets. VCU 4th place in the Colonial. What does the tournament even mean when this happens too often?
Comment
Comment