CUF March Madness Bracket Challenge 2011

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • pellegrino
    miserere me
    • Jan 2009
    • 12100

    #226
    Originally posted by byu71 View Post
    I would also have a shot without bonus points. I want my $10 back.
    I like the bonus points, but it places too much weight on getting the upsets right.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

    Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

    pelagius

    Comment

    • byu71
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 22070

      #227
      Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
      I like the bonus points, but it places too much weight on getting the upsets right.
      I just hate losing and always want my money back.

      Comment

      • scottie
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 5247

        #228
        Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
        I like the bonus points, but it places too much weight on getting the upsets right.
        There are only three ways of applying upset bonuses in the Yahoo challenges:
        • Seed difference
        • Seed difference X a multiplier
        • Fixed number


        pellerino, I'm all ears on how to place the "correct" amount of weight on upset bonuses. I don't like the fixed number because it gives too many points to 8/9 upset picks and not enough points to 5/12 upset picks, I don't like the seed diff X multiplier because I think that's definitely too much weight, so that leaves the one I went with.

        Comment

        • falafel
          loves to talk on things
          • Mar 2009
          • 37979

          #229
          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          If we call it right now, I will split the money with you other guys at the top. What do you say?
          Done. And an extra $5 for coming up with the idea.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

          Dig your own grave, and save!

          "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

          "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

          Comment

          • Maximus
            Senior Member
            • Sep 2009
            • 6017

            #230
            Originally posted by falafel View Post
            Maximus has a very good chance too. In fact, I think he may have the best shot based on the scenario generator. Assuming Kansas wins it all.
            Wow I thought I was out and was only cheering for butler. Now I see I win as long as any of the following happen:

            1. kansas wins it all
            2. Kansas goes to final four and UCONN beats kentucky
            3. NC beats butler for championship

            And I think if NC and Kansas win (over VCU, not butler) I win no matter what, which I may be seeing wrong.

            Now I am excited

            Comment

            • Maximus
              Senior Member
              • Sep 2009
              • 6017

              #231
              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              If we call it right now, I will split the money with you other guys at the top. What do you say?
              HECK no!

              Comment

              • UtahDan
                *
                • Nov 2008
                • 14496

                #232
                Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
                With Butler in...IF Arizona, VCU and Kentucky win, I would win and it would be over.

                In the same scenario, UD would win if UNC beats Kentucky.

                If Kansas beats VCU, more scenarious are in play...but in the event of an Arizona, VCU and Butler final four, the Kentucky/UNC game would be for the whole ball of Wax. I think.
                I don't see any way I can beat Maximus now. Even if my two remaining teams (UNC and Kansas) win their next games, he has both of them too as well as UConn.

                Comment

                • Jeff Lebowski
                  Corporate lackey for Jesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 69689

                  #233
                  Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                  HECK no!
                  Sorry man. You have been outvoted. We will give you a small cut however.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                  Comment

                  • pellegrino
                    miserere me
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 12100

                    #234
                    Originally posted by scottie View Post
                    There are only three ways of applying upset bonuses in the Yahoo challenges:
                    • Seed difference
                    • Seed difference X a multiplier
                    • Fixed number


                    pellerino, I'm all ears on how to place the "correct" amount of weight on upset bonuses. I don't like the fixed number because it gives too many points to 8/9 upset picks and not enough points to 5/12 upset picks, I don't like the seed diff X multiplier because I think that's definitely too much weight, so that leaves the one I went with.
                    Please don't mistake my melancholy following the realization that I can't win for a complaint. I don't know that there is a good solution, because there has to be some sort of bonus for them. Maybe eliminating the 8-9 game as a potential upset and then setting the bonus as a fixed number. Maybe there should also be a small bonus for the one with the highest number of base points. In the event that two or more have the same score you could give it to the one who has the most correct picks. If they are tied in both categories then it could be divided equally.

                    that complicates things enormously, but it's one way to work it out.
                    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                    Alessandro Manzoni

                    Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                    pelagius

                    Comment

                    • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                      Time to camp
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 26082

                      #235
                      Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
                      I thought there was one scenario where you have a chance...

                      If UCONN wins, HFN goes from 23rd place to $600!
                      If knew how to do that emoticon that made the exited spinning celebration on my phone I totally would!
                      Get confident, stupid
                      -landpoke

                      Comment

                      • DrumNFeather
                        Invisible Swordsman
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 8854

                        #236
                        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Sorry man. You have been outvoted. We will give you a small cut however.
                        I'm in...but I reserve the right to change my mind if Kentucky wins and Kansas loses.
                        "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

                        Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

                        Comment

                        • falafel
                          loves to talk on things
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 37979

                          #237
                          Better start changing your mind, DNF.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                          Dig your own grave, and save!

                          "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                          "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                          Comment

                          • Maximus
                            Senior Member
                            • Sep 2009
                            • 6017

                            #238
                            All my hope is now on UNC. I win if they win, I have no shot if they lose.

                            Comment

                            • Maximus
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2009
                              • 6017

                              #239
                              Can we still do the split the money thing???

                              Comment

                              • falafel
                                loves to talk on things
                                • Mar 2009
                                • 37979

                                #240
                                Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                                Can we still do the split the money thing???
                                hahahahahahaha
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                                Dig your own grave, and save!

                                "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                                "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                                Comment

                                Working...