The Brigham Young University vs. Chicago State thread...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TripletDaddy
    sweet triple
    • Nov 2008
    • 58186

    #16
    What channel is this on?
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

    sigpic

    Comment

    • Surfah
      Where's Wallace?
      • Nov 2008
      • 33726

      #17
      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      What channel is this on?
      BYUTV
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

      Comment

      • Surfah
        Where's Wallace?
        • Nov 2008
        • 33726

        #18
        Gotta love the honesty of the CSU coach at halftime. This is going to be a learning experience for us. This is obviously a top 20 team and they're better than us by at least 20 points every night.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

        Comment

        • LiveCoug
          LA Ute loves me
          • Nov 2008
          • 18488

          #19
          Jimmer Fredette is a good basketball player.

          Comment

          • TripletDaddy
            sweet triple
            • Nov 2008
            • 58186

            #20
            Which div 1 team was the last to score 100 points in a game? I think byu will do it tonight.
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

            sigpic

            Comment

            • CardiacCoug
              вот так штука
              • Nov 2008
              • 11013

              #21
              Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
              Which div 1 team was the last to score 100 points in a game? I think byu will do it tonight.
              I'm gonna guess it was UNC-Asheville on November 20, 2010.

              Comment

              • Surfah
                Where's Wallace?
                • Nov 2008
                • 33726

                #22
                I am now buying Killerdog's prediction about Zylstra.

                Also, nice to see Davies play well.
                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

                Comment

                • old_gregg
                  scaly man fish
                  • Nov 2009
                  • 16915

                  #23
                  martineau can't shoot worth shit
                  Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                  Comment

                  • LiveCoug
                    LA Ute loves me
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 18488

                    #24
                    Originally posted by camleish View Post
                    martineau can't shoot worth shit
                    Neither can Rogers.

                    Comment

                    • Tim
                      Not Banned
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 4390

                      #25
                      Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                      And it was bad ass.

                      I woke the family up on that one.
                      Your family goes to bed at 7:30 PM?
                      Visca Catalunya Lliure

                      Comment

                      • The_Tick
                        Made something of myself
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 7292

                        #26
                        Originally posted by Tim View Post
                        Your family goes to bed at 7:30 PM?
                        Wife is usually cutting Z's on the couch by about 730. And she does it until 9 because she doesn't want to say she goes to bed at 730. And it bugs the hell out of me. So the kid and I make noises and do all types of annoying stuff until she gives up and goes to bed.

                        The kid was at a sleepover on Friday and played hard Saturday, so she was in and out.

                        I am a single dude after 8 PM every night bro.

                        Comment

                        • Katy Lied
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 9435

                          #27
                          I really liked the play of the collinsworth boys. They are much better than I thought they would be.

                          I loved the rebounding, not so much getting the ball, but the way every time the ball was hucked up for a basket, there was at least one BYU player in the mix under the basket--to grab the rebound or to tap it to a teammate.

                          There were a couple of times in the game where Jimmer would be dribbling along the perimeter, look at his defender, throw a hip or head fake or a little dribble move, and then be gone, his defender trailing behind him. Audible gasps from the crowd. Pretty to watch.

                          Noel is much better than last year, and Davies was great. Even Brock actually contributed. I guess CSU was not much of a challenge.

                          Comment

                          • KillerDog
                            a.k.a. K-dog
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 4196

                            #28
                            Chicago State was a very bad basketball team but the game was interesting for a number of reasons. 1) We got to see some of the "other" players that we don't see much of; 2) coaches had a chance to play with some offensive and defensive combinations; 3) coaches had a chance to use some different offensive and defensive sets that we will need later in the year.

                            A few thought on specific players:

                            C. Collinsworth does a very nice job of putting the ball on the floor and getting into the paint. Combine those skills with his rebounding and his defensive activity and it becomes clear why he is starting. If he could develop a back to the basket game he could be a major scorer for us next year.

                            Davies decided to play with a little confidence and effort and he did some nice things. He isn't as athletic at CC but he is very patient with his back to the basket and has big soft hands.

                            Abuou is a far better on the ball defender than Emery. Emery is too in love with steals and without Miles behind him, we may see his propensity to go for steals hurt us a bit this year. Back to Abuou, I really like his defense and rebounding. I also like him off the bounce. I don't like him as a catch and shoot guy behind the arc. He is better just catching and going to the rack.

                            Rogers is showing the ability to find a role he can fit in. I like to see that. I didn't know if he had the humility to be that guy.

                            Noah looked hurt.

                            Couple thoughts about the schemes we saw.

                            1) I don't think we'll see much full court pressure this year. It is too easy for CC to put the ball on the floor and get us into a 4 on 3 situation. I do think we see a lot of high trap stuff against Jimmer. USU did it out of their man. CSU tried to do it with their 1-3-1. I think most coaches will want the ball out of Jimmer's hands. I certainly would if I were the coach. If our other offensive players are aggressive when Jimmer gives the ball up, we will see a lot of easy looks. If they are passive, we'll see a lot of contested shots by Jimmer at the end of the shot clock. This is one of the reasons I think CC is critical. He has the ability to release to the 3 pt line, catch a ball, get into the paint off the bounce, and put pressure on the D. I think Kyle will also shine in this part of the game. I think Jax needs to get that part going in his game or he'll have a rough senior campaign.

                            2) I really liked us in the zone with the all Provo front line. I think that look has a lot of value because those three boys (CC, KC, and Davies) all understand the zone concepts, have great length, and go to the ball on rebounds. This zone is the key to us beating SDSU so we need to see it.

                            3) Offensively I would like to see a little more recognition regarding what we have gotten from a switch. With the focus on Jimmer, we are seeing some odd match-ups other places. Quick recognition and aggressive passing can really get us easy looks. One of the strengths of having a top scoring talent is the chaos it inflicts on the other teams defensive schemes. Hopefully our recognition will improve as the season goes along.

                            Players to watch: I still like Zylstra to give us a contribution this year. He plays with a lot of passion and confidence. I see him ahead of Rogers at the wing spots. He is a good 4th guy at those wings and will be relied on when we have foul issues or injuries. K. Collinsworth is better than I thought he would be. His floater in the paint is pretty. His length makes for good rebounding and decent defense (better than Haws last year but not as good as Jax or Charles). If he stays aggressive offensively, I could see him supplanting a less aggressive Charles Abuou. I think the starter at the 3 spot will come down to rebounding, defense, and offensive aggression. I think KC is the better rebounder, Charles is the better defender, and whoever is more aggressive offensively will be the guy. My prediction is that Charles holds onto the spot and the program benefits from him being pushed. Keep an eye on Rogers, he really likes the baseline 3 pointer we get for our 4 man. I will be surprised if he doesn't have a game or two this year where he blows up from that spot.

                            Comment

                            • Blueintheface
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2009
                              • 15382

                              #29
                              Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                              Noah looked hurt.
                              No, he just gets blocked a lot.

                              To his credit no matter how many times his shot gets returned to sender he keeps at it.
                              "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                              "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                              Comment

                              • Katy Lied
                                Senior Member
                                • Dec 2008
                                • 9435

                                #30
                                Originally posted by KillerDog View Post

                                A few thought on specific players:
                                Thanks. Great report.

                                Comment

                                Working...