Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Man the lifeboats, it looks like the SS Utah Basketball has hit an iceberg.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
    Lets be honest, JT would be the best PF on this team by a long shot.
    BYU has a few problems: 1.) Plan A is not real consistent. Plan A is for Davies and Haws to do the preponderance of the scoring. I think Haws is getting a bit fatigued and Davies has always been inconsistent. 2.) Plan B only has one name on it. Luckily Carlino is playing real well and can be a decent Plan B, but after Carlino there is not a kid on the roster who is a legitimate threat to get to double digit points each game. Back when BYU had good teams there were still only 2-3 "stars" but Plan B always had 3-4 guys capable and comfortable if called upon to score in double digits. Tavernari embittered BYU fans because too often JT wanted to be a Plan A guy, but holy crap he would make this BYU team's Plan B significantly better. In fact JT might even be a Plan A guy on this BYU team. I hope Rose has his eye on a JC kid who come in and score. For BYU to take another step up they are going to need another proven scorer. I actually think this year's team is about as good as last year but to get better next year BYU needs at least one scorer to replace Davies, otherwise I think the end product will be similar to this year.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
      BYU has a few problems: 1.) Plan A is not real consistent. Plan A is for Davies and Haws to do the preponderance of the scoring. I think Haws is getting a bit fatigued and Davies has always been inconsistent. 2.) Plan B only has one name on it. Luckily Carlino is playing real well and can be a decent Plan B, but after Carlino there is not a kid on the roster who is a legitimate threat to get to double digit points each game. Back when BYU had good teams there were still only 2-3 "stars" but Plan B always had 3-4 guys capable and comfortable if called upon to score in double digits. Tavernari embittered BYU fans because too often JT wanted to be a Plan A guy, but holy crap he would make this BYU team's Plan B significantly better. In fact JT might even be a Plan A guy on this BYU team. I hope Rose has his eye on a JC kid who come in and score. For BYU to take another step up they are going to need another proven scorer. I actually think this year's team is about as good as last year but to get better next year BYU needs at least one scorer to replace Davies, otherwise I think the end product will be similar to this year.
      Rogers was definitely supposed to be plan B and even possibly a plan A guy this year. He showed glimpses his sophomore season, but junior and senior seasons never got off the ground. Rose definitely needs to find scoring this off-season. Collinsworth will possibly be a B option, but unless he found a jump shot on his mission, won't be a major scoring contributor next year. Delgado should be a better scoring option. I think if Rogers had been able to go this year, it's possible Delgado would have sat as a redshirt.

Injuries have been tough on the Cougs this year and last. BYU has been major injury free for a long time and that finally caught up with them.
      "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
      —Abraham Maslow

Comment

• Originally posted by WashingtonCoug View Post
        Rogers was definitely supposed to be plan B and even possibly a plan A guy this year. He showed glimpses his sophomore season, but junior and senior seasons never got off the ground. Rose definitely needs to find scoring this off-season. Collinsworth will possibly be a B option, but unless he found a jump shot on his mission, won't be a major scoring contributor next year. Delgado should be a better scoring option. I think if Rogers had been able to go this year, it's possible Delgado would have sat as a redshirt.

Injuries have been tough on the Cougs this year and last. BYU has been major injury free for a long time and that finally caught up with them.
        I think Collinsworth is a legit Plan B scorer. He does not have a reliable jumper but his is big, athletic, explosive and can penetrate. When you have that type of pure raw athletic ability on a 6'7 frame you are a threat to score.

Next year BYU's Plan A guys will be Carlino and Haws. Plan B will be Mika, Collinsworth, a hopeful JC transfer and hopefully some of these other role players will get there between Sharp, Austin, Winder and Delgado.

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
        -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

I think Collinsworth is a legit Plan B scorer. He does not have a reliable jumper but his is big, athletic, explosive and can penetrate. When you have that type of pure raw athletic ability on a 6'7 frame you are a threat to score.

Next year BYU's Plan A guys will be Carlino and Haws. Plan B will be Mika, Collinsworth, a hopeful JC transfer and hopefully some of these other role players will get there between Sharp, Austin, Winder and Delgado.
          1-3 will be very good. Carlino, Collinsworth and Hawes should be the starters and Carlino can look to score and spot up more while Collinsworth runs the offense more. At least that's what I'd like to see, assuming Collinsworth comes back as good as I think he should be (hopefully he gets home early and Marty Hawes puts him on Tyler's get in shape program). But you are right that we will need a scoring big. I guess we are hoping for Mika or are we hoping one of the current guys steps it up? Woulda beed nice had Loveridge come to BYU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacob View Post
            1-3 will be very good. Carlino, Collinsworth and Hawes should be the starters and Carlino can look to score and spot up more while Collinsworth runs the offense more. At least that's what I'd like to see, assuming Collinsworth comes back as good as I think he should be (hopefully he gets home early and Marty Hawes puts him on Tyler's get in shape program). But you are right that we will need a scoring big. I guess we are hoping for Mika or are we hoping one of the current guys steps it up? Woulda beed nice had Loveridge come to BYU.
            KC's frosh stats:
            5.8 ppg
            26% 3pt FG%
            57% FT%

He was a liability on the court. Remember when Florida didn't guard him and played 5 on 4 on our other players?

I see him as a solid contributor, but not as a go to scorer, anytime soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
              KC's frosh stats:
              5.8 ppg
              26% 3pt FG%
              57% FT%

He was a liability on the court. Remember when Florida didn't guard him and played 5 on 4 on our other players?

He was far from a liability on the court. He was certainly limited on the offensive end because he is such a poor shooter. However, with his ability to penetrate, offensive rebound and athleticism on a big frame he is a threat to get points. But until he develops a better shot he will never be a go to scorer. I do think he will be a decent secondary guy. However, unlike many here I think his future position at BYU will be as a 4. I think next year's BYU starters will be:

1.) Carlino
              2.) Winder, Delgado or JC transfer
              3.) Haws
              4.) Kyle Collinsworth
              5.) Eric Mika

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                It is remarkable how SU seems to be getting far more enjoyment cheering for the players that abandoned the team than he gets from the actual Utah basketball team.
                As a rule when a transfer occurs I blame the coach. "Abandoned the team"? I expect no loyalty in college athletics from anyone. There's no such thing as loyalty in college athletics.
                When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

He was far from a liability on the court. He was certainly limited on the offensive end because he is such a poor shooter. However, with his ability to penetrate, offensive rebound and athleticism on a big frame he is a threat to get points. But until he develops a better shot he will never be a go to scorer. I do think he will be a decent secondary guy. However, unlike many here I think his future position at BYU will be as a 4. I think next year's BYU starters will be:

1.) Carlino
                  2.) Winder, Delgado or JC transfer
                  3.) Haws
                  4.) Kyle Collinsworth
                  5.) Eric Mika
                  You probably don't remember that Florida game, they pass it to KC, no one's guarding him, he takes a couple dribbles, looks around, wondering what to do, picks it up, almost gets a five seconds call trying to pass it back to Jimmer or Jax while their guy plays deny. Pretty embarrassing. KC was a liability in the half court offense. That's not to say he didn't do some good things defensively or on the boards.

I think his offense will improve. The athleticism is there. But he's demonstrated nothing for us to expect him to be any kind of offensive option next year.

Comment

You probably don't remember that Florida game, they pass it to KC, no one's guarding him, he takes a couple dribbles, looks around, wondering what to do, picks it up, almost gets a five seconds call trying to pass it back to Jimmer or Jax while their guy plays deny. Pretty embarrassing. KC was a liability in the half court offense. That's not to say he didn't do some good things defensively or on the boards.

I think his offense will improve. The athleticism is there. But he's demonstrated nothing for us to expect him to be any kind of offensive option next year.
                    I think I saw the first half of the Florida game but the second half was tivoed while I went to a friggin' Achievement Days Daddy-Daughter somethingoranother. When I checked the ol Blackberry at the end and saw the final score I concluded that I did not want to watch the Tivoed end. I think he will be better and I also think that the other parts won't be as good as Jimmer so he will get more experience trying to score as BYU won't have the same options. He strikes me as a similar player as Hansen except Hansen could shoot, and in the game of basketball the ability to shoot is a pretty huge deal.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

I'm with goat on this. He was not a liability on the court. He deserved all the playing time he got. He may have played poorly in a game here or there--I'm sure he did. But your posting a couple stats that make him look bad is unconvincing, having watched him play.

He played 25 mpg, so Rose thought he was invaluable. He shot the best fg% behind Hartsock and Davies (who didn't play in that Florida game) an nobody else was close. He was a much better ball handler and passer than Emery (in fact, the best passer on the team). He was a reasonably good defender with good size. And he averaged over 5 rebounds (more per minute than Hartsock).

So, you can take your 3 point % and FT% and shove it, Mister!

Comment

KC's frosh stats:
                        5.8 ppg
                        26% 3pt FG%
                        57% FT%

KC is a very good ballhandler for someone his size and he was one of BYU's better rebounders that year. His jump shot is terrible, but he's fairly effective at getting to the rim. Put him at the 3 and slide Haws to the 2. He's not a 4.
                        Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

• Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                          KC is a very good ballhandler for someone his size and he was one of BYU's better rebounders that year. His jump shot is terrible, but he's fairly effective at getting to the rim. Put him at the 3 and slide Haws to the 2. He's not a 4.
                          This is exactly what I'd prefer. I think KC would be a better defender at the 3 as well. His length and quickness can help extend to the corner in the zone to close out and Haws can stay up top to try and score on run outs off the break.
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

Who plays the 4?
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Of course he's not a 4...he's a 1. He's a passer/ball handler. He'll likely guard the 3 with my proposed lineup or, more likely, the better offensive player to give Hawes a break on D. But he's a guy you want to play with the ball in his hands to help set up Hawes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                                Who plays the 4?
                                Mika or Austin. Probably Austin.
                                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X