Wing position

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jay santos
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 13652

    #1

    Wing position

    I like the variation we have in our three wing players. They all three have distinctly different game.

    Haws: Not quite as athletic as I thought he'd be, based on the various descriptions of his game. Very mature game for a freshman. A step slower than Rose would like at his position to guard on the perimeter. Quick release on his jumper. Bright future as a Coug.

    Abuou: Fennis Dembo in the making. Brute strength. Can get to the rim. Only an adequate perimeter shuffler but aggressiveness and hustle cause problems. Weakness: outside shot/ball handling

    Emery: ridiculous defensive energy level. Will knock down the open J on offense. Great in transition. Weakness: driving to the basket.

    I'd prefer Morgan only play backup minutes to Jimmer at the point and give all the wing minutes to these three.
  • KillerDog
    a.k.a. K-dog
    • Feb 2009
    • 4196

    #2
    Originally posted by jay santos View Post
    Emery: ridiculous defensive energy level. Will knock down the open J on offense. Great in transition. Weakness: driving to the basket.
    I don't get why Emery is so bad going to the rim. Any bump seems to send him flying. I think he expects to get to the rim without contact.

    Comment

    • Blueintheface
      Senior Member
      • Sep 2009
      • 15382

      #3
      Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
      I don't get why Emery is so bad going to the rim. Any bump seems to send him flying. I think he expects to get to the rim without contact.
      He went to the Tony Parker Lay-up Drill Academy but got a "D" in "Finishing the Play 101".
      "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

      "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

      Comment

      • smokymountainrain
        Impressive Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 22593

        #4
        Originally posted by jay santos View Post
        I like the variation we have in our three wing players. They all three have distinctly different game.

        Haws: Not quite as athletic as I thought he'd be, based on the various descriptions of his game. Very mature game for a freshman. A step slower than Rose would like at his position to guard on the perimeter. Quick release on his jumper. Bright future as a Coug.

        Abuou: Fennis Dembo in the making. Brute strength. Can get to the rim. Only an adequate perimeter shuffler but aggressiveness and hustle cause problems. Weakness: outside shot/ball handling

        Emery: ridiculous defensive energy level. Will knock down the open J on offense. Great in transition. Weakness: driving to the basket.

        I'd prefer Morgan only play backup minutes to Jimmer at the point and give all the wing minutes to these three.
        Calling Abuou, Fennis Dembo in the making is very, very, generous. He'll never be Dembo, but if he can get BYU about 10 and 6 his junior and senior seasons, he will be a success.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

        Comment

        • jay santos
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 13652

          #5
          Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
          Calling Abuou, Fennis Dembo in the making is very, very, generous. He'll never be Dembo, but if he can get BYU about 10 and 6 his junior and senior seasons, he will be a success.
          If he gets 28 minutes a game this year, he'll go 10 and 6 this season. If he gets a jump shot down and continues to improve, he'll be Fennis Dembo territory. He's by far the most improved player on the team this season.

          Comment

          • smokymountainrain
            Impressive Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 22593

            #6
            Originally posted by jay santos View Post
            If he gets 28 minutes a game this year, he'll go 10 and 6 this season. If he gets a jump shot down and continues to improve, he'll be Fennis Dembo territory. He's by far the most improved player on the team this season.
            I hope you're right, obviously. Dembo was a great college player. If Chuck gets 10 and 6 this year, I'll be shocked. But again, I like your optimism.
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

            Comment

            • jay santos
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 13652

              #7
              Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
              I hope you're right, obviously. Dembo was a great college player. If Chuck gets 10 and 6 this year, I'll be shocked. But again, I like your optimism.
              For the two exhibition games he's averaged 7.5 and 3.5 in 15 minutes. In the blue-white game he went 16 and 4 playing the whole game.

              He'll probably never be a Dembo. And he might not play inside enough to average 6 reb's a game, but he's close to that.

              His ceiling is probably Mike Hall. I expect him to be a 14 point 5-6 rebound guy his junior/senior season.

              Comment

              Working...