Bias case in Panguitch

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69753

    #1

    Bias case in Panguitch

    This is an amazing story:



    A guy from India moved to Panguitch and bought a hotel. He has two master's degrees: one in chemistry and one in engineering. He saw an ad in the newspaper announcing a need for substitute teachers. He showed up to the training session with 25 other people. Several people took a look at him and called 911, saying that there was a terrorist at the meeting. He ends being the only person not allowed to become a substitute teacher. He filed a complaint against the school district.

    Incredible. I am glad he won his case.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster
  • FMCoug
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 6825

    #2
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    This is an amazing story:



    A guy from India moved to Panguitch and bought a hotel. He has two master's degrees: one in chemistry and one in engineering. He saw an ad in the newspaper announcing a need for substitute teachers. He showed up to the training session with 25 other people. Several people took a look at him and called 911, saying that there was a terrorist at the meeting. He ends being the only person not allowed to become a substitute teacher. He filed a complaint against the school district.

    Incredible. I am glad he won his case.
    Wow. I am speechless.
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

    Comment

    • Fiyero
      Banned
      • Nov 2008
      • 5266

      #3
      A terrorist in Panguitch? Dear god he's going to blow up the lake!!

      This reminds me of listening to local talk radio on 9/11/01 (I was in Mississippi) and concerned callers speculated whether Jackson was next to get hit.

      We're relevant, really we are!

      Comment

      • Pheidippides
        Liberal Feminazi
        • Nov 2008
        • 14759

        #4
        Good for him. I don't doubt that the people in Panguitch did it out of ignorance more than pure hate, probably, but that's absolutely unacceptable.
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

        Comment

        • Sleeping in EQ
          Philosopher of Men
          • Nov 2008
          • 4188

          #5
          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          This is an amazing story:



          A guy from India moved to Panguitch and bought a hotel. He has two master's degrees: one in chemistry and one in engineering. He saw an ad in the newspaper announcing a need for substitute teachers. He showed up to the training session with 25 other people. Several people took a look at him and called 911, saying that there was a terrorist at the meeting. He ends being the only person not allowed to become a substitute teacher. He filed a complaint against the school district.

          Incredible. I am glad he won his case.
          I wonder if the absurd rumor that Al-Qaeda operatives are hiding out in Southern Utah had something to do with this. My brother lives not to far from there, and he was getting that rumor at Church.
          We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

          Comment

          • TripletDaddy
            sweet triple
            • Nov 2008
            • 58186

            #6
            Some terrorists hijack airplanes. Some plant explosive devices. Others release toxins into the air.

            I guess the local Panguitch cognoscenti figured out that this new breed of terrorist slowly infiltrates the school district at the local level as a substitute teacher and proceeds to allow children to watch videos and do homework in class.

            my next-door neighbors look and dress very similar to the family in the pic. I wonder if I should be worried.
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

            sigpic

            Comment

            • dabrockster
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2009
              • 10964

              #7
              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              This is an amazing story:



              A guy from India moved to Panguitch and bought a hotel. He has two master's degrees: one in chemistry and one in engineering. He saw an ad in the newspaper announcing a need for substitute teachers. He showed up to the training session with 25 other people. Several people took a look at him and called 911, saying that there was a terrorist at the meeting. He ends being the only person not allowed to become a substitute teacher. He filed a complaint against the school district.

              Incredible. I am glad he won his case.

              WOW.. I really don't know what to say to that...

              Comment

              • dabrockster
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2009
                • 10964

                #8
                The Superintendent said they had two minorities that have been hired..

                Both hispanic. One is the Janitor and the other a Secretary..


                WOW.. I guess you met your quota then...

                Comment

                • FMCoug
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 6825

                  #9
                  I did some consulting work for Verizon in 2002. I.T. at Verizon is probaby 99% contractors on H1-B visas, mostly from the middle east and India. I get there a few months after 9/11. As I'm being introduced around, I meet several Osamas, one of which had the full beard and turban. And pretty much the whole place was either Muslim or Hindu. And of course there were several flavor of Muslims, who all hated each other. World politics meet workplace politics. It was a bizarre workplace to be sure. Apparently actual fistfights broke out on 9/11 ... but not involving Americans. They were between Hindus and Muslims.

                  The reason I bring this up is that's what I thought of when I thought of this guy in Panguitch. That family in Panguitch probably feels about like I did there. Except I got to go home to suburbia every night.
                  "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                  Comment

                  • Soccermom
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 4063

                    #10
                    Some superintendent they have in Panguitch. The article says he was the one to call the police. Unbelievable. The blind leading the blind down there.

                    Comment

                    • dabrockster
                      Senior Member
                      • Aug 2009
                      • 10964

                      #11
                      What I find odd. Is the two minorities are spoken in "Past" term..

                      As if they are no longer employed by the District...

                      Comment

                      • bluegoose
                        7th round draft pick
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 4121

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Fiyero View Post
                        A terrorist in Panguitch?
                        It wouldn't be the first time. Didn't you see the movie Contact? The crazy red-headed guy was from there!

                        Comment

                        • Donuthole
                          Official Outgayer
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 25278

                          #13
                          Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
                          What I find odd. Is the two minorities are spoken in "Past" term..

                          As if they are no longer employed by the District...
                          The case is several years old, from the sound of it. I'm guessing the minority employees are referenced in past tense because it is based on the superintendent's previous testimony/statements, not as an indication that the school district doesn't presently have any minority employees. The phrase "the superintendent at the time" is the giveaway.
                          Last edited by Donuthole; 09-02-2009, 09:27 AM.
                          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                          There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                          Comment

                          • JohnnyLingo
                            La Naranja
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 3976

                            #14
                            Do these people not read or watch TV? I mean, I've lived in predominantly white cities my entire life, but I won't call 911 if an Indian shows up in my office.

                            I really do not understand how some people function.

                            Comment

                            • dabrockster
                              Senior Member
                              • Aug 2009
                              • 10964

                              #15
                              Having driven through Panquitch from Phoenix on my way to Provo many times..


                              It is a different place down there..

                              Comment

                              Working...