Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 Post-Election Thread...let's talk about it

So...this thread will be a thing.

I have 2 Trumpy BILs. if the polls hold up and the GOP loses the presidency and the Senate, I already have a text composed with links to the Free To Choose YouTube channel, and book recommendations by Thomas Sowell and Fredrick Hayek. My short term strategy is to talk to the Republicans in my life about the philosophical underpinnings of the Reagan administration. I'm sure it will eventually fall on deaf ears.

Comment

Originally posted by USUC View Post
      I have 2 Trumpy BILs. if the polls hold up and the GOP loses the presidency and the Senate, I already have a text composed with links to the Free To Choose YouTube channel, and book recommendations by Thomas Sowell and Fredrick Hayek. My short term strategy is to talk to the Republicans in my life about the philosophical underpinnings of the Reagan administration. I'm sure it will eventually fall on deaf ears.
      OMG you are assertive lol. If Biden wins, I plan on just letting this ride until everyone starts pretending they didn't really like Trump and goes back to supporting people like Jeb Bush or something.
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

My hope is this:

Huge Trump loss
        Senate flipped
        House +10 D

This would be the repudiation of Trumpism that we desperately need as a country. Now whether democrats maintain control will depend on how they govern. If they govern center left we could be looking at a political shift in America that might last 10-15 years. I think the country is at its best as a center left country.

I think it would also give the GOP the breathing room to reestablish itself as a center right market driven party vs the far right flirtation populists party it’s become. We need the parties to be closer together on most issues vs further apart.

LOL @ people who think the dems don’t do the economy. Since Orange Jesus has deemed the stock market as the main indicator of economic success we should all hope for Dems in charge of the WH.

Comment

Originally posted by fusnik View Post
          My hope is this:

Huge Trump loss
          Senate flipped
          House +10 D

This would be the repudiation of Trumpism that we desperately need as a country. Now whether democrats maintain control will depend on how they govern. If they govern center left we could be looking at a political shift in America that might last 10-15 years. I think the country is at its best as a center left country.

I think it would also give the GOP the breathing room to reestablish itself as a center right market driven party vs the far right flirtation populists party it’s become. We need the parties to be closer together on most issues vs further apart.

LOL @ people who think the dems don’t do the economy. Since Orange Jesus has deemed the stock market as the main indicator of economic success we should all hope for Dems in charge of the WH.
          This would be healthy in the long run. The republican party needs to burn to the ground and get rebuilt.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            This would be healthy in the long run. The republican party needs to burn to the ground and get rebuilt.
            While I agree, I'm more than a little worried about the short run. That's why I hope the GOP keeps the Senate. I don't think the Democrats are bluffing when they talk about expanding and packing the Supreme Court.
            “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
            "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

"I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

I'm just glad liquor stores are open today in Utah, and some are even back to their old hours of being open until 10:00 p.m.
                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                  While I agree, I'm more than a little worried about the short run. That's why I hope the GOP keeps the Senate. I don't think the Democrats are bluffing when they talk about expanding and packing the Supreme Court.
                  I don't think that's where the (D)s want to expend all their new-found political capital, should they come out victorious. They ought to just start kicking ass, get the covid stuff out, fix our bullshit immigration system that has about 200 new administratively-placed monkey wrenches in it, and pass some bills. I am not concerned about the Supreme Court-- Clarence Thomas and Alito can ESAD, but until then we can ride with a conservative court.

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                    OMG you are assertive lol. If Biden wins, I plan on just letting this ride until everyone starts pretending they didn't really like Trump and goes back to supporting people like Jeb Bush or something.
                    I have sort of tried this already, but it falls flat when they see Trump "winning."

I actually have had an ongoing argument with a similarly minded small "l" libertarian friend about effective strategies in trying to create a more classically liberal country. I have always argued that you should stay outside of the party system and support individual policy positions regardless of party. He has become big on trying to change the parties from the inside. I'll stay an independent but if I was to try to change the GOP from within, I would try to convince them the #1 priority should be to ditch the rhetoric of the immorality of cities. Can't win elections without pealing off some of the urban vote. And with how poorly blue cities are generally run it shouldn't be hard.

Comment

if biden wins, i hereby covenant that i will attend sacrament meeting, mass, shabbat services, whatever those crazy muslim and lrh folks do.
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by fusnik View Post
                        My hope is this:

Huge Trump loss
                        Senate flipped
                        House +10 D

+1 and then some. I'm still solidly left on a lot of issues, and I'm honestly not sure if I'll ever vote GOP in national elections again. But everyone has a vested interest in rebuilding the GOP again. It's current iteration is simply not healthy for a healthy democracy. If you cannot publicly break from the many, many unethical and illegal things Trump has said and done because you cannot win elections without his base's support, then that's a huge problem. Which worries me that my 'phoenix rising from the ashes' plan for the GOP might be a little too optimistic. I'm not sure if his 40% will see the light when Trump is gone...
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                          I want a slight Dem majority in the Senate. Like 50/50 or 51/50. I am less concerned about court packing now. It would be tough to pull off without having a couple of Dem senators from red states not go for it. Kelly Loeffler needs to lose. Mcsally needs to lose. I would rather have them jettisoned now than have their bullshit continue on. Collins from Maine will be an unfortunate loss.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                            if biden wins, i hereby covenant that i will attend sacrament meeting, mass, shabbat services, whatever those crazy muslim and lrh folks do.
                            And what do you covenant if Drumpf wins?
                            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                              And what do you covenant if Drumpf wins?
                              i'm going to drink a liter of malibu rum and eat a crown burger (no junior!!) and onion rings
                              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Working...
                              X