2020 General Presidential Election Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    I dunno. A good message to get out the GOP vote in the Senate runoff elections is to acknowledge Trump's defeat and tell Georgia GOP voters that they need to rally and vote or the GOP will lose the Senate giving Democrats almost total control. I think McConnell and other leaders in the GOP are just waiting out Trump's temper tantrum - giving him some time and space and perhaps a chance to not lose face although I think that ship sailed long ago.
    The runoff is Jan 5, right? That gives the GOP plenty of time after the state elections have been certified and the electoral college has cast their votes (Dec. 14th).

I guess the fun might come if some in congress refuse to certify the electoral college vote on Jan 6.

January 6, 2021 at 1 p.m.: Vote count is finalized at the results are certified
    The sitting Vice President, acting as the Senate president, presides over a joint session of Congress to read aloud the certificates cast by the electors representing all 50 states and D.C. in alphabetical order to finalize the vote count.

If no members of Congress object to any of the certificates in writing, the Senate president officially certifies the selection of the president-elect and vice president-elect.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...imeline-2020-8

Comment

• Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
      Well, i think you got what you wanted.
      Or DID he?

Comment

• https://www.newsweek.com/sen-dianne-...minees-1547056

But court packing amirite AA and UVA?

Comment

• Originally posted by fusnik View Post
          https://www.newsweek.com/sen-dianne-...minees-1547056

That isn't court packing.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
            That isn't court packing.
            no, but it is rank and abject hypocrisy. the gop is going to have a nuclear meltdown if and when the dnc has its opportunity to do the same.
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

I’m sorry, I’m not following what you’re trying to argue. Who is doing what that you want me to bless or condemn?
              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                no, but it is rank and abject hypocrisy. the gop is going to have a nuclear meltdown if and when the dnc has its opportunity to do the same.
                Which it will. Yawn.
                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

There's no democratic "norm" or "tradition" that judicial nominees aren't confirmed during the lame duck session. It hasn't happened in recent years because it has been a very long time (since Carter) that the Senate and the outgoing President were of the same party. This is just another example of Democrats claiming the sky is falling in order to paint Republicans doing what they have every right to do, and what everyone expected them to do, as a sign that the apocalypse is at hand. And, as has been repeatedly pointed out, it is not court packing. The person that is most to blame for this is Harry Reid. If the judicial filibuster were still in place, this wouldn't be happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                    I’m sorry, I’m not following what you’re trying to argue. Who is doing what that you want me to bless or condemn?
                    He is complaining of McConnell's complete hypocrisy as it relates to the judiciary and how he has been willing to play games for the past 6 years. I'm against court packing, but McConnell has reshaped the judiciary at all levels through means that are damaging, kind of like court packing would be damaging to the judiciary.
                    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Am I the only one who is amused that the court packing issue is so closely linked to Marbury v Madison? And no, I'm not talking about Judicial Review-- I'm talking about the original case. Or do I misunderstand the concept of court packing?

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                        Am I the only one who is amused that the court packing issue is so closely linked to Marbury v Madison? And no, I'm not talking about Judicial Review-- I'm talking about the original case. Or do I misunderstand the concept of court packing?
                        I think you have it exactly right. If anything, the last minute confirmation of 60 newly created judgeships by Adams in 1801 was far more egregious than anything that has happened in recent years.

Comment

• Comment

• In a better political world, the three most recently confirmed justices would be Garland, Gorsuch, and Barrett.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

God bless Arizona.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                                In a better political world, the three most recently confirmed justices would be Garland, Gorsuch, and Barrett.
                                If we are going to play that game, why not Garland, Gorsuch, and an empty seat to be appointed by the incoming president.
                                "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X