2020 General Presidential Election Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
    What's the intimidation exactly? Just that people are afraid of police? Not trying to be an ass here. Perhaps it's just a viceral reaction to cops?
    To me the bigger issue is that of misconstrued endorsement by the department or police in general. Oh, that's the candidate the police like? Maybe I should vote for him then. Of course that endorsement seems to carry less weight these days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
      To me the bigger issue is that of misconstrued endorsement by the department or police in general. Oh, that's the candidate the police like? Maybe I should vote for him then. Of course that endorsement seems to carry less weight these days.
      That one I can see. Endorsement by government officials at a polling place. Intimidation I'm having a harder time with.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

What's the intimidation exactly? Just that people are afraid of police? Not trying to be an ass here. Perhaps it's just a viceral reaction to cops?
        In the crudest terms, if a cop in uniform publicly supports Trump, the implicit message to the citizenry is you may not feel safe (or at least protected by that cop) if you publicly support his challenger. I don't think it hits the reaction button as much with some people, mainly because those people don't have negative interactions with cops. And yes, I think it is a visceral reaction towards cops from some communities, some of it entirely understandable.
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

Comment

• "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Wrong. Sometimes it sucks. Sometimes it is funny.
            I've yet to read anything from it that is funny. SJBH. It also just a fact that Christian humor is typically not funny. Everyone knows that all the best comedians are associated with Satan.
            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Wearing a mask on-duty is inappropriate. Glad the dept is taking action.

Like falafel - I'm not sure that inappropriate and intimidating are the same thing. It was dumb - but as someone not voting for Trump, I wouldn't find it at all intimidating. If the dude is standing over their shoulder and watching who they vote for, then sure. Or if he's talking to people and telling them they better vote for the right person, OK. Or if people are showing up with Biden signs or buttons and he's glaring at them and scaring them from coming into the building - then OK. But just wearing the mask? Nah. Just dumb.

Law enforcement can't be endorsing candidates while on duty and in uniform. That's just wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                I've yet to read anything from it that is funny. SJBH. It also just a fact that Christian humor is typically not funny. Everyone knows that all the best comedians are associated with Satan.
                Come on - this is funny:

https://babylonbee.com/news/people-d...t-god-or-satan

Comment

This was funny:

And given the senator's histrionic questioning of ACB, this also made me laugh. Interestingly, FB claimed that it "incited violence" so they not only blocked the post, but rescinded BB's commercial status on the platform. Yeesh.

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 10-20-2020, 01:55 PM.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• I would say this falls under soliciting votes at a polling place:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/.../0102.031.html

No person, political committee, or other group or organization may solicit voters inside the polling place or within 150 feet of the entrance to any polling place.
                    the terms “solicit” or “solicitation” shall include, but not be limited to, seeking or attempting to seek any vote, fact, opinion, or contribution; distributing or attempting to distribute any political or campaign material, leaflet, or handout; conducting a poll except as specified in this paragraph; seeking or attempting to seek a signature on any petition; and selling or attempting to sell any item.
                    Some states explicitly call out articles of clothing.

Doesn't matter if it is a cop. It is against the law for anyone.
                    Last edited by beefytee; 10-20-2020, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• Babylon Bee has it's moments, like Onion-level parody. But they are overshadowed by a lot of groans and way too many transgender-related posts.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                        Babylon Bee has it's moments, like Onion-level parody. But they are overshadowed by a lot of groans and way too many transgender-related posts.
                        Oh yeah. You have to sift through the clunkers to find the gems. They would do well to be more selective.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."

Comment

Billy Joel is definitely of that opinion, but I don’t know that he ever convinced Virginia so “everyone” might be a stretch.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                            I would say this falls under soliciting votes at a polling place:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/.../0102.031.html

Some states explicitly call out articles of clothing.

Doesn't matter if it is a cop. It is against the law for anyone.
                            Yes, campaigning at a polling place is generally unlawful, and I agree that includes signs, masks, buttons, etc.

Illegal, yes. Intimidating? Eh...
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

He's in a position of authority, and he's heavily armed. You don't think that's intimidating?
                              "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                                He's in a position of authority, and he's heavily armed. You don't think that's intimidating?
                                No. What's he going to do? Force everyone to vote for Trump at gunpoint? Leer over your shoulder and make sure you vote for Trump? This isn't a central african republic.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X