Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
    Expert: “If we don’t act there will be dramatic consequences.”

World: [acts]

Expert: “Because we acted we avoided the most dramatic consequences.”

SU: “SUwish!”
    yep, like clockwork

From the opinion piece:

The UK should now be able to cope with the spread of the covid-19 virus, according to one of the epidemiologists advising the government.

Neil Ferguson at Imperial College London gave evidence today to the UK’s parliamentary select committee on science and technology as part of an inquiry into the nation’s response to the coronavirus outbreak.

He said that expected increases in National Health Service capacity and ongoing restrictions to people’s movements make him “reasonably confident” the health service can cope when the predicted peak of the epidemic arrives in two or three weeks. UK deaths from the disease are now unlikely to exceed 20,000, he said, and could be much lower.
    Last edited by myboynoah; 03-26-2020, 07:28 PM.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
      Cuomo is benefiting from a lot of selective memory. As late as march 18 he said he would not support a shelter in place order for NYC when de blasio was calling for one. The mass transit system in nyc is also state run so de blasio can't shut it down, only cuomo can. He refused to do so and still does.
      De Blasio was telling folks not to worry about the coronavirus... and to have a good time on the town:

De Blasio and Cuomo are two peas in a pod... both asshats.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Well this is disgusting.

As Trump signals readiness to break with experts, his online base assails Fauci

Although both men are seeking to tamp down the appearance of tension — “Great job,” Trump commended the doctor during the White House’s briefing on Tuesday — the president is increasingly chafing against medical consensus. He has found support from a chorus of conservative commentators who have cheered his promise to get the U.S. economy going again as well as his decision to tout possible coronavirus treatments not yet approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

“The president was right, and frankly Fauci was wrong,” Lou Dobbs said Monday on his show on the Fox Business Network, referring to the use of experimental medicine.

Beyond prime-time television, however, the disregard for expert guidance being pushed by some conservative and libertarian voices goes further — aimed not simply at proving Fauci wrong but at painting him as an agent of the “deep state” that Trump has vowed to dismantle. The smear campaign taking root online, and laying the groundwork for Trump to cast aside the experts on his own coronavirus task force, relies centrally on the idea that there is no expertise that rises above partisanship, and that everyone has an agenda.
        Is this how science starts a slow march to death?

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Neil Ferguson issues a clarification:

(be sure to click through and read the entire thread)

Trump (and knuckleheads like Clay Travis) is literally going to kill people by denying the science and downplaying the risk.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Neil Ferguson issues a clarification:

(be sure to click through and read the entire thread)

Trump (and knuckleheads like Clay Travis) is literally going to kill people by denying the science and downplaying the risk.

Comment

• Italy appears to have finally flattened. How soon until they experience some relieve due to actual decline in cases?

Italy New Cases.JPG

NJ new cases spiked today, which we knew was going to happen. I see some reason for some optimism in New York: even though testing continues to increase dramatically, they have been pretty constant at between 5k and 6k new documented cases per day for the past 5 reporting days. I was expecting some pretty dramatic increases each day. Although I read that NY is currently doing about 18k tests today, which would mean about a 33% positive rate. Also based on anecdotes relayed to me from people in NY, it takes 3-5 days to get results, so there may be a significant lag in reporting and there is a dramatic spike about to hit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                Italy appears to have finally flattened. How soon until they experience some relieve due to actual decline in cases?

[ATTACH]10097[/ATTACH]

NJ new cases spiked today, which we knew was going to happen. I see some reason for some optimism in New York: even though testing continues to increase dramatically, they have been pretty constant at between 5k and 6k new documented cases per day for the past 5 reporting days. I was expecting some pretty dramatic increases each day. Although I read that NY is currently doing about 18k tests today, which would mean about a 33% positive rate. Also based on anecdotes relayed to me from people in NY, it takes 3-5 days to get results, so there may be a significant lag in reporting and there is a dramatic spike about to hit.
                Not a doctor, but I am going to guess 5 days?

Comment

• This word science. People like to throw it around. But do they really know what it means?

Which ex*perts to be*lieve? This, it’s time to ad*mit, is a po*lit*i*cal ques*tion.
                  https://www.wsj.com/articles/what-do..._copyURL_share
                  When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                    Yeah, what do people expect him to say? "I made a boo boo?" After all this?
                    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Some here though the Chinese tests are so accurate.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...irus-test-kits

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                        Yeah, what do people expect him to say? "I made a boo boo?" After all this?

His tweets simply restate what is quoted in the opinion piece you linked.

Comment

Some here though the Chinese tests are so accurate.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...irus-test-kits
                          Ha. Not a big surprise.

Comment

This word science. People like to throw it around. But do they really know what it means?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/what-do..._copyURL_share
                            I guess the answer is yes.

Comment

• This reminds me of when SU was arguing that global warming was a liberal hoax.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• TRUMP CLAIMS U.S. STATES DON'T NEED THE AMOUNT OF VENTILATORS THEY'RE ASKING FOR: 'I DON'T BELIEVE YOU NEED 40,000 OR 30,000'

President Donald Trump told Fox News host Sean Hannity on Thursday evening that he believes that the coronavirus battle will not require the number of medical equipment pieces that have been requested by some states.

Trump has been the subject of criticism over the distribution of medical equipment from federal stockpiles, with some state governors saying they do not have enough ventilators available to properly care for patients hospitalized with COVID-19.

"FEMA says, 'we're sending 400 ventilators," New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said at a Wednesday news conference. "Really? What am I going to do with 40 ventilators when I need 30,000?"

Newsweek reached out to Governor Cuomo's office for comment but did not receive a response in time for publication.

"I have a feeling that a lot of the numbers that are being said for some areas are just bigger than they're going to be," Trump said. "I don't believe you need 40,000 or 30,000 ventilators. You know, at a major hospital sometimes they'll have two ventilators. All of a sudden they're saying, 'Can we order 30,000 ventilators?'"

"Look, it's a very bad situation," the president continued. "We haven't seen anything like it. But the end result is we gotta get back to work and I think we can start by opening up certain parts of the country."
                                https://www.newsweek.com/trump-claim...u-need-1494599

Comment

Working...
                                X