Reagan and Obama

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • JohnnyLingo
    La Naranja
    • Nov 2008
    • 3976

    #1

    Reagan and Obama

    I'm reading President Reagan: The Triumph of Imagination. Last night after reading a couple chapters I was struck by how similar the first few months of Reagan's presidency mirror Obama's.

    Both men were elected rather handily. Both replaced highly unpopular presidents and attacked their predecessors roundly during their presidential campaigns.

    Both men came in preaching major change. Reagan preached his supply-side, small government economic theory and Obama his big-government ideas.

    Both inherited poor economies, and both came under fire for not "fixing" the problem in their first few months. Both preached a balanced budget publicly, while in reality they spend, spend, spend to further their goals.

    Reagan believed strongly in the evils of communism, while Obama believes strongly in the evils of unfettered capitalism.

    Both enjoyed significant support thanks to their charisma.

    One of the differences is that the NY Times, Washington Post, NBC News and other major media outlets crucified Reagan almost from day one, while Obama enjoyed a nice honeymoon.

    And while Reagan sought his party's nomination twice before getting it, Obama rose quickly to the presidency.

    Anyway, I'm sure most of these similarities could be found in most presidents, but I found it interesting.
  • TripletDaddy
    sweet triple
    • Nov 2008
    • 58186

    #2
    This is very interesting and insightful.

    Sincerely,

    Kids that weren't alive during Reagan's presidency
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

    sigpic

    Comment

    • All-American
      Right, as Usual
      • Nov 2008
      • 15680

      #3
      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      This is very interesting and insightful.

      Sincerely,

      Kids that weren't alive during Reagan's presidency
      History is too important to be wasted on those who lived through it.
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

      Comment

      • JohnnyLingo
        La Naranja
        • Nov 2008
        • 3976

        #4
        No actual responses?

        Shoot, and I thought a non-partisan political post from Lingo would attract some attention.

        Comment

        • Hallelujah
          Junior Member
          • Dec 2008
          • 2741

          #5
          Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
          No actual responses?

          Shoot, and I thought a non-partisan political post from Lingo would attract some attention.
          Yeah, I am surprised as well.

          Comment

          • All-American
            Right, as Usual
            • Nov 2008
            • 15680

            #6
            Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
            No actual responses?

            Shoot, and I thought a non-partisan political post from Lingo would attract some attention.
            All that is gold does not glitter.

            Don't take it too personally. It's the kind of thing that happens when there's too much exute noise going on two rooms down.
            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

            Comment

            • Hallelujah
              Junior Member
              • Dec 2008
              • 2741

              #7
              Originally posted by All-American View Post
              Not all glitters that is gold.

              Don't take it too personally. It's the kind of thing that happens when there's too much exute noise going on two rooms down.
              So you are easily distracted? You would have made a horrible wide receiver (that's a football term).

              Comment

              • All-American
                Right, as Usual
                • Nov 2008
                • 15680

                #8
                Originally posted by Hallelujah View Post
                So you are easily distracted? You would have made a horrible wide receiver (that's a football term).
                As is "tight end," which is loosely associated with a Freudian term that would suit you more favorably.
                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                Comment

                • Hallelujah
                  Junior Member
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 2741

                  #9
                  Originally posted by All-American View Post
                  As is "tight end," which is loosely associated with a Freudian term that would suit you more favorably.
                  Rather a tight end, that a loose end. Thanks for the compliment.

                  Comment

                  • falafel
                    loves to talk on things
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 38003

                    #10
                    Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                    No actual responses?

                    Shoot, and I thought a non-partisan political post from Lingo would attract some attention.
                    I'll respond. I thought it was interesting. I don't have any other comments, however. But I don't have any insults either.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                    Dig your own grave, and save!

                    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                    Comment

                    Working...