Trump vs. California

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69747

    #16
    WSJ says that California will likely lose the NCAA sports issue in the courts.



    The legislation may also violate the Commerce Clause, which prohibits states from burdening interstate commerce. Nevada passed a law during the early 1990s requiring the NCAA to expand due process protections for its colleges. As in California, the Nevada law specifically forbade the NCAA to retaliate against compliant schools. Yet the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals invalidated the Nevada law because it would interfere with interstate commerce.

    If every state can supersede the NCAA’s rules, the organization would be rendered impotent and irrelevant. Imagine if North Carolina passed a law that said its student athletes don’t have to meet the NCAA’s academic qualifications. Or if Alabama were to require Crimson Tide football coach Nick Saban to pay players. Each state would try to enact laws to obtain a competitive advantage.

    The California bill will surely get tied up in court and could stymie NCAA rule revisions. The NCAA earlier this year formed a working group to consider letting athletes profit from their names, images and likenesses while maintaining “the clear demarcation between professional and college sports.” One idea is to let athletes set aside endorsement money in a trust they can tap after graduating.

    So often politicians in Sacramento try to force their views and values on the rest of the country, but policies are more enduring when they are developed through a national public consensus. That’s political science 101.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment

    • Moliere
      One man.....one pie
      • Oct 2009
      • 27898

      #17
      Ha, yeah, would hate to render the NCAA impotent and irrelevant.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

      Comment

      • BigFatMeanie
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 7121

        #18
        The NCAA is a private "non-profit"(what a joke) organization of member institutions. It is not a government entity.

        A state should be able to supersede the NCAA's rules. Likewise, the NCAA should be able to kick schools out of its association and tell their member institutions to not play non-NCAA schools.

        Rendering it impotent and irrelevant is exactly what I want to see. Burn it down.

        Comment

        • Jeff Lebowski
          Corporate lackey for Jesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 69747

          #19
          Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
          The NCAA is a private "non-profit"(what a joke) organization of member institutions. It is not a government entity.

          A state should be able to supersede the NCAA's rules. Likewise, the NCAA should be able to kick schools out of its association and tell their member institutions to not play non-NCAA schools.

          Rendering it impotent and irrelevant is exactly what I want to see. Burn it down.
          The NCAA needs some reforms, but this "burn it down" line of thinking is crazy. So it the notion that there is tons of money floating around that ought to go to athletes. Yes, football is a net revenue generator for many schools, but almost all other sports programs lose money and rely on football income to exist. The NCAA is a collection of universities - not some independent tyrant/corporation with no accountability. "Burning down" the NCAA and destroying the amateur status would kill college athletics and BYU would be one of the first programs to go under. You guys promoting this idea are grossly naive about how college administrators think and the parameters under which they operate.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment

          • SeattleUte
            Faith crisis consultant
            • Nov 2008
            • 20837

            #20
            Like creationism, this myth that universities are getting rich off of football is a litmus test of profound ignorance. U. of Utah's budget is $3.5 billion and its total sports budget is not even $90 million. If you took a poll of Utah administrators, professors, students, and alumni, and informed them in the lead up, it wouldn't surprise me if a majority voted to liquidate commercial sports. Certainly most faculty and administrators would. That would be the rational thing to do.

            It's also a myth that universities are taking advantage of the players. They get plenty. I have been close to some DI players and their families. I've never once heard them say they're getting ripped off or they're slaves.
            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

            --Jonathan Swift

            Comment

            • Lost Student
              BAND!
              • Nov 2008
              • 4324

              #21
              Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
              Like creationism, this myth that universities are getting rich off of football is a litmus test of profound ignorance. U. of Utah's budget is $3.5 billion and its total sports budget is not even $90 million. If you took a poll of Utah administrators, professors, students, and alumni, and informed them in the lead up, it wouldn't surprise me if a majority voted to liquidate commercial sports. Certainly most faculty and administrators would. That would be the rational thing to do.

              It's also a myth that universities are taking advantage of the players. They get plenty. I have been close to some DI players and their families. I've never once heard them say they're getting ripped off or they're slaves.
              CatBleu is advocating for the dissolution of UofU athletics
              "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
              "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
              This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
              "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
              "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

              Comment

              • frank ryan
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 12389

                #22
                Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                Like creationism, this myth that universities are getting rich off of football is a litmus test of profound ignorance. U. of Utah's budget is $3.5 billion and its total sports budget is not even $90 million. If you took a poll of Utah administrators, professors, students, and alumni, and informed them in the lead up, it wouldn't surprise me if a majority voted to liquidate commercial sports. Certainly most faculty and administrators would. That would be the rational thing to do.

                It's also a myth that universities are taking advantage of the players. They get plenty. I have been close to some DI players and their families. I've never once heard them say they're getting ripped off or they're slaves.
                I'm with you. Last time I looked generous scholarships were valuable.

                Comment

                • MartyFunkhouser
                  Disciple of RNGesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 18763

                  #23
                  Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  So it appears that Trump is moving to revoke California's authority to set emissions standards on cars that differ from federal standards.





                  I think I side with Trump on this one. California is large enough that it can influence overall auto production, thus hijacking our national policies. California may be right in the long run, but should one state be able to exert this much power over the industry? Why not come to a national consensus?
                  State rights rule. Except of course when it comes to marijuana and auto emissions.
                  As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                  --Kendrick Lamar

                  Comment

                  • MartyFunkhouser
                    Disciple of RNGesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 18763

                    #24
                    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    I guess so.

                    I also greatly resent California legislature attempting to destroy amateur college sports.
                    Amateur college sports does not exist. California is attempting to destroy pseudo-amateur college sports. I appreciate what they are doing.
                    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                    --Kendrick Lamar

                    Comment

                    • Jeff Lebowski
                      Corporate lackey for Jesus
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 69747

                      #25
                      Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                      Amateur college sports does not exist. California is attempting to destroy pseudo-amateur college sports. I appreciate what they are doing.
                      SeattleUte litmus test says that you are profoundly ignorant.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                      Comment

                      • Commando
                        Explosivo
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 20748

                        #26
                        Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                        Like creationism, this myth that universities are getting rich off of football is a litmus test of profound ignorance. U. of Utah's budget is $3.5 billion and its total sports budget is not even $90 million. If you took a poll of Utah administrators, professors, students, and alumni, and informed them in the lead up, it wouldn't surprise me if a majority voted to liquidate commercial sports. Certainly most faculty and administrators would. That would be the rational thing to do.

                        It's also a myth that universities are taking advantage of the players. They get plenty. I have been close to some DI players and their families. I've never once heard them say they're getting ripped off or they're slaves.
                        Yeah Jimmer made a killing off his nationwide phenomenon. Actually, not allowed to sell shirts or anything with his name or likeness on them- innumerable other companies did that without having to give him a dime and probably made millions, but he ate like a king for free in the cafeteria (I bet)!
                        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                        Comment

                        • Uncle Ted
                          The Big 12 money shot.
                          • Apr 2010
                          • 28853

                          #27
                          Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                          Like creationism, this myth that universities are getting rich off of football is a litmus test of profound ignorance. U. of Utah's budget is $3.5 billion and its total sports budget is not even $90 million. If you took a poll of Utah administrators, professors, students, and alumni, and informed them in the lead up, it wouldn't surprise me if a majority voted to liquidate commercial sports. Certainly most faculty and administrators would. That would be the rational thing to do.

                          It's also a myth that universities are taking advantage of the players. They get plenty. I have been close to some DI players and their families. I've never once heard them say they're getting ripped off or they're slaves.
                          LOL. This dude is getting more than Utah's entire annual sports budget with his new contract:




                          If the players are good then they will get the money they deserve... someday.
                          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                          Comment

                          • Katy Lied
                            Senior Member
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 9435

                            #28
                            I'm with the Burn-It-Down crowd. Universities have no business in the sports arena. They should make their money from teaching, not from sports. Set up minor leagues or development leagues. Give the players what they are worth, and let them choose to go to school and pay tuition after their sports careers are over. But saying they should be okay with shopping at the Company store? And giving them company housing? Plantation mentality.

                            I'm pretty sure Jimmer didn't get a penny of that $50 sweatshirt I bought from the bookstore.

                            Comment

                            • imanihonjin
                              Junior Member
                              • Jun 2013
                              • 3772

                              #29
                              Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                              I'm with the Burn-It-Down crowd. Universities have no business in the sports arena. They should make their money from teaching, not from sports. Set up minor leagues or development leagues. Give the players what they are worth, and let them choose to go to school and pay tuition after their sports careers are over. But saying they should be okay with shopping at the Company store? And giving them company housing? Plantation mentality.

                              I'm pretty sure Jimmer didn't get a penny of that $50 sweatshirt I bought from the bookstore.
                              Come on now. There are plenty of arguments to be made about why the current system in college athletics is broken. However, comparing it to slavery discounts the horrors of actual slavery and the quality of any remaining argument you have on the issue.

                              Comment

                              • falafel
                                loves to talk on things
                                • Mar 2009
                                • 38003

                                #30
                                Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                                I'm with the Burn-It-Down crowd. Universities have no business in the sports arena. They should make their money from teaching, not from sports. Set up minor leagues or development leagues. Give the players what they are worth, and let them choose to go to school and pay tuition after their sports careers are over. But saying they should be okay with shopping at the Company store? And giving them company housing? Plantation mentality.

                                I'm pretty sure Jimmer didn't get a penny of that $50 sweatshirt I bought from the bookstore.
                                Universities shouldn't be making money.
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                                Dig your own grave, and save!

                                "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                                "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                                Comment

                                Working...