Since joining academia, have you become more or less liberal than you were before?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • byu71
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 22070

    #76
    Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
    You've taught as an adjunct, that counts in my book.
    Thanks. I actually get a kick out of even being slightly considered a part of the academia family. In truth, teaching those classes was fun and rewarding. If I hadn't been so interested in the buck, I think I would have really enjoyed teaching college.

    Comment

    • wuapinmon
      Soul Plumber
      • Dec 2008
      • 30711

      #77
      Originally posted by byu71 View Post
      Thanks. I actually get a kick out of even being slightly considered a part of the academia family. In truth, teaching those classes was fun and rewarding. If I hadn't been so interested in the buck, I think I would have really enjoyed teaching college.
      I assume you're set now....why not quit and do it full time....Teach for America could certainly use someone like you.
      "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
      The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

      Comment

      • byu71
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 22070

        #78
        Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
        I assume you're set now....why not quit and do it full time....Teach for America could certainly use someone like you.
        I am old and I unhumbly really think my current clients need me. I also fear for my childrens retirement, so I am now saving for their retirement.

        Lastly, indications of how set I am have been greatly exaggerated. I admit I have played a role in that on the chance a "trophy girlfriend" might be lurking on the boards.

        Comment

        • wuapinmon
          Soul Plumber
          • Dec 2008
          • 30711

          #79
          Originally posted by byu71 View Post
          I am old and I unhumbly really think my current clients need me.
          The cemeteries are filled with indispensable people. Life is for living.

          Originally posted by byu71 View Post
          Lastly, indications of how set I am have been greatly exaggerated. I admit I have played a role in that on the chance a "trophy girlfriend" might be lurking on the boards.
          Please don't be one of the Mormons who talks about how little they have when they are 'well off.'
          "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
          The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

          Comment

          • byu71
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 22070

            #80
            Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
            The cemeteries are filled with indispensable people. Life is for living.



            Please don't be one of the Mormons who talks about how little they have when they are 'well off.'
            I am living life. I really do think my clients need me. More than a few of them are in their 70's and 80's and wouldn't know who to trust. Not to get to flattering of myself, but a few of them have asked with concern if I plan on retiring very soon.

            The kids are a real concern for me. However, I consider you thinking I could do something you suggested as sincere praise. Thanks.

            Now let's get back to ripping on each other.

            Comment

            • il Padrino Ute
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 19161

              #81
              Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
              The cemeteries are filled with indispensable people. Life is for living.
              There are plenty of dispensable people there as well.
              "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


              "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

              Comment

              • wuapinmon
                Soul Plumber
                • Dec 2008
                • 30711

                #82
                Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                There are plenty of dispensable people there as well.
                Have you dispensed with any lately? I hear people are just dying to get in your hands.
                "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                Comment

                • il Padrino Ute
                  Junior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 19161

                  #83
                  Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                  Have you dispensed with any lately? I hear people are just dying to get in your hands.
                  Dispensed? No. Interred? Could be.
                  "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                  "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                  Comment

                  • wuapinmon
                    Soul Plumber
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 30711

                    #84
                    Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                    I am living life. I really do think my clients need me. More than a few of them are in their 70's and 80's and wouldn't know who to trust. Not to get to flattering of myself, but a few of them have asked with concern if I plan on retiring very soon.

                    The kids are a real concern for me. However, I consider you thinking I could do something you suggested as sincere praise. Thanks.

                    Now let's get back to ripping on each other.
                    Naw....I've had gallbladder pain all day so I've let loose on Hallelujah, Johnny Lingo, and that irksome falawful. There's nothing to rip on you today that SeattleUte hasn't already devastated you with, so go take some Metamucil and your statins, and I'll see you tomorrow.

                    I hope everyone notices that I have been supervising my mouth product today. I keep thinking, "is this going to offend KatyLied?" because I truly don't want to (no sarcasm).
                    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                    Comment

                    • wuapinmon
                      Soul Plumber
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 30711

                      #85
                      Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                      Dispensed? No. Interred? Could be.
                      So let it be with death jokes.
                      "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                      The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                      Comment

                      • il Padrino Ute
                        Junior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 19161

                        #86
                        Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                        So let it be with death jokes.
                        Yes. Let's put them to rest.
                        "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                        "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                        Comment

                        • byu71
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 22070

                          #87
                          Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                          Naw....I've had gallbladder pain all day so I've let loose on Hallelujah, Johnny Lingo, and that irksome falawful. There's nothing to rip on you today that SeattleUte hasn't already devastated you with, so go take some Metamucil and your statins, and I'll see you tomorrow.

                          I hope everyone notices that I have been supervising my mouth product today. I keep thinking, "is this going to offend KatyLied?" because I truly don't want to (no sarcasm).
                          Damn I hate how you intellects stick together. I have totally anihilated SU today and you say that.

                          Comment

                          • wuapinmon
                            Soul Plumber
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 30711

                            #88
                            Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                            Yes. Let's put them to rest.
                            You have thrice refused to so let it be...see, sir? I'm starting to think you won't lend me your ears, ever.
                            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                            Comment

                            • il Padrino Ute
                              Junior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 19161

                              #89
                              Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                              You have thrice refused to so let it be...see, sir? I'm starting to think you won't lend me your ears, ever.
                              A+ Well played.

                              I mean, of course I won't lend you my ears. I'm not a donor.
                              "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                              "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                              Comment

                              • Hallelujah
                                Junior Member
                                • Dec 2008
                                • 2741

                                #90
                                Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                                I was in the College Democrats at BYU and helped organize a talk by an NAACP leader while there.

                                Since graduating from BYU, I have become progressively more politically conservative. Big government sucks.
                                Amazing how one's political views change once people graduate from college and get a good job.

                                Comment

                                Working...