Ocasio-Cortez, a poor [wo]man’s Bernie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    As Dowd says, moderates made the democratic majority in the House. Now in 2020 everyone will be running against AOC.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/13/o...core-ios-share
    Savage. I love it.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      As Dowd says, moderates made the democratic majority in the House. Now in 2020 everyone will be running against AOC.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/13/o...core-ios-share
      The AOC-Pelosi war.

You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• This fascination over AOC has drifted into hatred for some. Including law enforcement. Some Louisiana cops were for posting about killing AOC on Facebook. The stuff is not funny. We should expect more from law enforcement. I'd also be outraged if they were saying this about Trump.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/p...-aoc-louisiana

The rape meme posted in the border patrol agents closed facebook group which had thousands of officer members was also reprehensible.

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/201...facebook-memes

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
          The AOC-Pelosi war.

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
          This fascination over AOC has drifted into hatred for some.
          Jordan Hall predicted this in January of this year. Interesting guy.

AOC will likely behave very differently from the waves of idealistic young Boomer congressmen and women who came to Washington in the 70's through 90’s with big ideas — only to melt into the party machinery. Her power is connected to an entirely different source then the Churchly powers of the DNC. As she experiments with and demonstrates this new power, she will be showing precisely how few clothes the Emperor is wearing.

I expect 2019 to be a year where the struggle for the heart of Blue becomes a central part of the story.

Pity Pelosi and Schumer. Soon, they will be facing a Blue Insurgency, a rising power that they do not understand and against which they have little to no defense. In this context, the attractor of the 2020 election can rapidly accelerate the collapse of the Blue Church as increasingly angry and empowered Millennials learn how to use social media (et al) to cohere many different forms of collective intelligence with which they can simply side-step legacy political and media institutions in the pursuit of power.
          It will be interesting to watch whether AOC and the squad are a blip or a new permanent feature of American politics. The same can be said for President Trumps MO of using social media to wield power outside of the constraints of previously established norms.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
            Jordan Hall predicted this in January of this year. Interesting guy.

It will be interesting to watch whether AOC and the squad are a blip or a new permanent feature of American politics. The same can be said for President Trumps MO of using social media to wield power outside of the constraints of previously established norms.
            I'm not going to sign up for Medium to read the rest of that. Pity, as I've enjoyed other the site has hosted. I don't know else he says, but it doesn't address that bullshit that happened, and if it inferred she invited or earned it, that's pretty disgusting.

Doesn't sound he addressed concerns with law enforcement.
            Last edited by frank ryan; 07-24-2019, 06:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
              I'm not going to sign up for Medium to read the rest of that. Pity, as I've enjoyed other the site has hosted. I don't know else he says, but it doesn't address that bullshit that happened, and if it inferred she invited or earned it, that's pretty disgusting.
              Nope, not at all. He's mostly covering the difference of how politics (and maybe society at large) are evolving from a top-down broadcast model of power (and how this is represented on the left--what he calls the blue church--represented by Pelosi and company) to a peer-to-peer network model (what he calls the blue religion--represented by AOC) and that those two will inevitably reach a point of conflict, a power struggle. Which is currently happening. It was written 7 months ago, but this prediction was exactly right. He's more interested in what's going on in the culture at large.

His claim is that the left won the culture war of what is right-speak and controls much of the infrastructure. The right was therefore forced to adapt to some other mechanism of maintaining relevance. This pressure provided the catalyst for quicker adaptation of the right to new media (social media, podcasting, youtube, etc.) and President Trump emerged from that. His base is not under the control of the broadcast media of the past. In order to maintain control, the left must either reassert the dominance of old media (by attempting to gain control of big tech), or adapt--which I think we are also currently seeing play out in real time. He argues that adaptation is the only real response and that AOC is the first of many to emerge within that adaptation.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                Nope, not at all. He's mostly covering the difference of how politics (and maybe society at large) are evolving from a top-down broadcast model of power (and how this is represented on the left--what he calls the blue church--represented by Pelosi and company) to a peer-to-peer network model (what he calls the blue religion--represented by AOC) and that those two will inevitably reach a point of conflict, a power struggle. Which is currently happening. It was written 7 months ago, but this prediction was exactly right. He's more interested in what's going on in the culture at large.

His claim is that the left won the culture war of what is right-speak and controls much of the infrastructure. The right was therefore forced to adapt to some other mechanism of maintaining relevance. This pressure provided the catalyst for quicker adaptation of the right to new media (social media, podcasting, youtube, etc.) and President Trump emerged from that. His base is not under the control of the broadcast media of the past. In order to maintain control, the left must either reassert the dominance of old media (by attempting to gain control of big tech), or adapt--which I think we are also currently seeing play out in real time. He argues that adaptation is the only real response and that AOC is the first of many to emerge within that adaptation.
                He sounds like an interesting guy. If this guy is only on medium, I'll end up breaking down and signing up for medium.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                  He sounds like an interesting guy. If this guy is only on medium, I'll end up breaking down and signing up for medium.
                  The YouTube link is a good starter on his history and ideas--it's a biopic in a sense--an interview released as a video. If his story is interesting (co-founder of DIVX), then maybe sign up for Medium (I think it's free). I know SU described one of his pieces as flowery, which is probably apt. His thoughts and writing style take a bit of adjustment as it takes some time to learn his metaphors. I'm not sure that I buy all the conclusions for the future, but find his observations on the current state of affairs useful from a more abstract social interaction perspective.

Comment

• Good to know that climate change hits the vulnerable communities first...

It is kind of like how tornados go after the folks in tailer parks first.
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I agree with AOC. No one should ever pay over 15% interest. I just disagree we should make it a law.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I think it's cool that Bernie practices what he preaches and buys clothes only from salvation army and Walmart and owns one small, modest home as well as no gas guzzling vehicles.

Totally cool.

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                          I think it's cool that Bernie practices what he preaches and buys clothes only from salvation army and Walmart and owns one small, modest home as well as no gas guzzling vehicles.

Totally cool.
                          Yeah, the same with Mayor Pete!

"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                            Yeah, the same with Mayor Pete!

Ha. Uncle Ted spreading fake news again. Watch the actual interview.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              Ha. Uncle Ted spreading fake news again. Watch the actual interview.
                              So is Mayor Pete actually part of the solution? Does his private jet actually run on renewable energy?

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Pastor Pete has become the worst woke scold in the field. He talks about what Jesus wants more than Huckabee did.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X