Utah Senator Mitt Romney Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG... tell me it isn't so:

‘Brave' and ‘principled’ Romney once threw a loyal gay aide under the bus to get ahead
    [...]
    Romney’s years of flip-flopping on gun rights, abortion, and even tax policy should be enough to prove that, but let's also take a quick trip down memory lane to his 2012 presidential campaign.

Not only did Romney blow with the wind when it came to gay rights — he supported gay rights until he didn’t — he threw a loyal gay Republican aide on his presidential campaign under the bus just because he faced backlash from some ignorant social conservatives who somehow thought a gay adviser would make Romney's foreign policy too gay, or something.

That aide, Richard Grenell, is now the highest-ranking gay official in the Trump administration. Trump has shown much more guts and principle than Romney ever did when it comes to standing by gay supporters.

Back in 2012, Grenell joined the Romney campaign after having served in the Bush administration. He had impeccable credentials, and he even came at the recommendation of GOP stalwarts such as John Bolton. Yet, after the criticisms started rolling in from anti-gay conservatives, the Romney campaign muzzled Grenell, even forbidding him to speak on an important foreign policy call he was expected to lead on. According to the New York Times, “Those close to Mr. Grenell ... insist that, when he had sought forceful support from those who had entrusted him with a major role, the campaign seemed to be focused, instead, on quieting a political storm that could detract from Mr. Romney’s message and his appeal to a crucial constituency.”
    [...]
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...s-to-get-ahead

What does Mitt have against gay folk?
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
      OMG... tell me it isn't so:

Yep. Mitt shouldn't have kowtowed to the Christian Right back then. Obviously he has evolved and eclipsed that bunch of hypocrites.
      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Thank you, Mitt Romney

In Romney’s floor speech, he anticipated that he might “hear abuse from the president and his supporters.” This is a pretty good bet. But the voters of Utah who elected Romney need to hear something from the Republican resistance to Trumpism. Many of us who have taken part in GOP politics over the past 30 years have been motivated by the belief that a center-right party could encourage both free markets and the values that make freedom more just and humane. We thought that a belief in individual enterprise could be accompanied by communal commitments to compassion, inclusion and public integrity.

Those in this camp look at our current political debate and often feel homeless. For us, Romney’s vote for removal had a broader significance. Here, finally, was an elected Republican willing to stand up to Trump’s tactics of intimidation and bullying. Here, finally, was a Republican senator willing to defend the role and honor of the Senate. Here, finally, was a Republican willing to live in the real world of facts while holding to high ideals. When he stood alone, I and others felt less alone.

Thank you, Mitt Romney.
        Mitt Happens!!!

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          It certainly underscores his antipathy toward Sanders. I'm not nearly as bothered by how this might help Sanders since the Bern doesn't have a snowball's chance in a general election. But then, I said the same thing about Trump exactly four years ago.
          The Bern is not a sociopath, so that's a plus.

Comment

I'd be totally behind a Bloomberg/Klobuchar Dem ticket. I'd support them if they ran as a third party against Sanders and Trump. With Bloomberg's cash, they'd have an outside shot.

It's interesting that with respect to a vote that's preceded by a sacred oath of impartiality, the guy who's getting the most critical attention is the only one out of a hundred who voted against party lines. And while I'm a Ben Saase fan, I was a little bugged by this line of his in the article: “You don’t remove a president for initially listening to bad advisors but eventually taking counsel from better advisors—which is precisely what happened here.” Not at all "precisely," Ben. He had many of his better advisors screaming at him from the beginning not to do what he was doing. It was months later, when news of the whistleblower got out and it was clear that Trump's actions were going to be made public, did Trump have his Come to Jesus moment. For that he should be censured.
            Sasse has sold his soul, and fallen in lock step with the Vichy GOP.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
              Sasse has sold his soul, and fallen in lock step with the Vichy GOP.
              I think he rented out, but didn't sell, his soul on this one,. He's been a pretty good critic of Trump in the past and I expect him to be, at least at times, in the future. I haven't lost faith in the guy, and think he may be a good GOP candidate in 2020

Comment

The Bern is not a sociopath, so that's a plus.
                Frank, are you feeling the Bern?
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                  OMG... tell me it isn't so:

So funny to watch all the Trump toadies rush to vilify Romney while simultaneously excusing Trumps multitude of more egregious sins.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    So funny to watch all the Trump toadies rush to vilify Romney while simultaneously excusing Trumps multitude of more egregious sins.
                    This particular criticism is weird. So Romney BAD back then because he bowed to political expediency, but Romney BAD now because he didn't.

More like, Romney BAD because he's not a Trump butt-kisser like us.

Mitt Happens!!!

Comment

• History will remember Mitt Romney

Mr. Romney’s choice promises him nothing but grief. Utah is deep red, and Mr. Trump carried it handily in 2016. Mr. Romney could have voted to acquit with political — if not moral — impunity. He would have avoided what is sure to be a sharp, sustained and personal backlash from Mr. Trump and his supporters.

Other Republican senators flinched at that prospect. Lamar Alexander (Tenn.), a retiring senator from whom one could have expected more, would not even vote to hear from key witnesses such as former national security adviser John Bolton. In an interview with “PBS NewsHour,” Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.) couldn’t even bring himself to say whether he thought the president’s actions were right or wrong.

For those who believe in impeachment and those who don’t, Mr. Romney deserves respect for thoughtfully weighing the evidence and the implications of removing a sitting president. His stand did not persuade his GOP colleagues to reconsider. Fifty-two of them voted Wednesday to acquit the president on the abuse of power charge; Mr. Romney joined them in voting to acquit on the charge of obstruction of Congress. But Mr. Romney assured one outcome: No longer can Republicans argue that the Democrats forced on the nation a partisan impeachment that garnered not a single supporting GOP vote. At least one Republican acted with integrity and honor. History will remember the rest very differently.
                      Mitt Happens!!!

Comment

• Utah Senator Mitt Romney Thread

Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                        You are now on his team--looks like he did benefit.

And yes, I have read tweets that criticized Mitt for seeking the supposed benefit of gaining favor with people on the left.
                        Currying favor on the left...

The left can go pound sand. They’re the ones who jumped down his throat for “binders of women,” getting his wife a pony, and calling Russia our #1 geopolitical threat. They could care less about putting tribe over country; they just like seeing someone put THEIR tribe over the OTHER tribe. If they cared about the country half as much as Mitt we’d be talking about making space for President Romney on Mount Rushmore as we celebrate the end of his second term.

Screw them.
                        Last edited by All-American; 02-06-2020, 06:53 PM.
                        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Shame on Colbert for having a strong opinion on a divisive president.
                          He can have whatever opinions he wants. But if he isn’t funny I ain’t watching him.
                          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

I'd be totally behind a Bloomberg/Klobuchar Dem ticket. I'd support them if they ran as a third party against Sanders and Trump. With Bloomberg's cash, they'd have an outside shot.

It's interesting that with respect to a vote that's preceded by a sacred oath of impartiality, the guy who's getting the most critical attention is the only one out of a hundred who voted against party lines. And while I'm a Ben Saase fan, I was a little bugged by this line of his in the article: “You don’t remove a president for initially listening to bad advisors but eventually taking counsel from better advisors—which is precisely what happened here.” Not at all "precisely," Ben. He had many of his better advisors screaming at him from the beginning not to do what he was doing. It was months later, when news of the whistleblower got out and it was clear that Trump's actions were going to be made public, did Trump have his Come to Jesus moment. For that he should be censured.
                            Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                            I think he rented out, but didn't sell, his soul on this one,. He's been a pretty good critic of Trump in the past and I expect him to be, at least at times, in the future. I haven't lost faith in the guy, and think he may be a good GOP candidate in 2020
                            He used to be a frequent critic of Trump, but now he's bent the knee.

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                              Currying favor on the left...

The left can go pound sand. They’re the ones who jumped down his throat for “binders of women,” getting his wife a pony, and calling Russia our #1 geopolitical threat. They could care less about putting tribe over country; they just like seeing someone put THEIR tribe over the OTHER tribe. If they cared about the country half as much as Mitt we’d be talking about making space for President Romney on Mount Rushmore as we celebrate the end of his second term.

Screw them.
                              Spare me your indigination. You're post is incredibly tribal. A lot of liberals, myself among genuinely admire Romney's stand. The criticisms and seizing upon gaffs that came out during the election season do not mean people don't admire him. Romney has shown he's not fragile. Those criticisms pale in comparison to the abuse he's receiving now. Being label a traitor etc.

I guess the right can pound sand? Screw them more?
                              Last edited by frank ryan; 02-06-2020, 07:56 PM.

Comment

• Mike Lee says that Utahns are not happy with the junior senator...

Mike Lee: Republicans in Utah 'very upset' over Mitt Romney voting to convict Trump

Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, said on Thursday that Republicans in Utah are not pleased with the state's other Republican senator, Mitt Romney, after he voted to convict President Trump for abuse of power in the Senate impeachment trial.

“There will be some people who might be happy with it, and they might be called Democrats, for the most part. I think Republicans are very upset about it. And I, for one, disagree with it and disagree with it strongly,” Lee told Shannon Bream on “Fox News at Night.”
                                [...]
                                https://www.foxnews.com/media/mike-l...et-romney-vote

So does this mean that Mitt is no longer Utah's "favorite son"? BTW, just how many states does Mitt claim as his home?
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X