If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Another mass shooting. This time in a church in small town Texas
An armor-clad gunman opened fire inside a rural Texas church on Sunday, killing more than two dozen people in the largest mass shooting in the state's history.
An interview with one of the guys that apparently shot the killer and then followed him until he ran off the road and died:
TEXAS CHURCH SHOOTING CITIZEN SHOT BACK, FOLLOWED SHOOTER Victims from Age 5 to 72
Texas officials just held a press conference about the deadliest mass shooting in the state, and revealed that a local resident fired back at the shooter who killed 26 people at a small town church ... and then gave chase before the gunman was found dead.
A rep for the Texas Department of Public Safety gave a blow-by-blow account of what went down Sunday morning in Sutherland Springs, TX where a gunman opened fire at the First Baptist Church.
He says the gunman, reportedly ID'd as Devin Kelley, was dressed in all black tactical gear when he opened fire on the church -- using an AR assault-style rifle -- from the outside and then continued inside. When he walked out again, a local resident engaged him with his own rifle, causing the gunman to flee.
The resident followed the gunman in a separate vehicle, and the gunman was later found shot dead around a nearby county line ... where cops say they found more firearms in his car. It's unclear if the gunman suffered a self-inflicted gunshot wound, or if the resident shot and killed him.
A local resident engaged the gunman who killed 26 at a church in Texas.
"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU. "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek. GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!
Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.
Dig your own grave, and save!
"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American
"I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally
"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
"It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
"Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster
Apparently iPhones are pulling triggers these days...
Trump DOJ suggests iPhone encryption costs lives following Texas shooting
The debate over privacy and security between tech companies and the government is playing out in public yet again. Without naming Apple specifically, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein suggested this week in comments reported by The Washington Examiner that the company’s position on strong encryption may cost lives. Rosenstein’s comments follow reports that the recent church shooter in Texas used an iPhone that may not be accessible by the government.
The second-highest ranking official at the Department of Justice argues that ‘no reasonable person’ believes authorities shouldn’t be able to access the shooter’s phone:
“When you shoot dozens of innocent American citizens, we want law enforcement to investigate your communications and stored data,” Rosenstein said Thursday, adding, “‘There are things that we need to know.”
“As a matter of fact, no reasonable person questions our right to access the phone. But the company that built it claims that it purposely designed the operating system so that the company cannot open the phone even with an order from a federal judge,” Rosenstein said, lamenting only maybe “eventually” will federal investigators be able to access Kelley’s phone.
In addition to costing “a great deal of time and money,” Rosenstein said a delay “surely costs lives.”
The issue is more complex than simply allowing authorities access to one bad guy’s iPhone. Apple cannot build back doors in its software for government and ensure every other customer’s data is kept private, the company argues.
The debate certainly didn’t start under the Trump administration. Apple publicly defended its position while acknowledging the complexity of the issue last year when the FBI requested access to the San Bernardino shooter’s iPhone during the Obama administration.
While that case was never fully tested by the legal system, it’s possible we may see a similar episode in the future. In the case of the Texas shooter, it was reported that the FBI may have missed its window to easily access the shooter’s iPhone. Apple responded to the report by saying that it proactively contacted the FBI to help offer any assistance possible.
The government is such a.... And they don't understand that the bad guys also like to use backdoors as well.
BTW, the FBI could have unlocked the phone within 48 hours by using the dead guy's fingerprints.
"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU. "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek. GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!
Another mass shooting. This time in a church in small town Texas
Apple siding with terrorists. Figures.
"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
"It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
"Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster
And now another shooting in a California Elementary school. This country has gone crazy.
Half hour drive from me. It doesn't sound like it is a school shooting, exactly. A shooting that began at someone's nearby home that spilled over to involve at least a few kids at the school. Details are really sketchy so far. All I've read is that the shooter, who is now dead, was a felon, that has been tormenting the neighbors for quite some time. So far they've dispatched 3 helicopters and multiple ambulances to the scene.
Half hour drive from me. It doesn't sound like it is a school shooting, exactly. A shooting that began at someone's nearby home that spilled over to involve at least a few kids at the school. Details are really sketchy so far. All I've read is that the shooter, who is now dead, was a felon, that has been tormenting the neighbors for quite some time. So far they've dispatched 3 helicopters and multiple ambulances to the scene.
If what the neighbor says about the shooter's recent behavior is true and was reported to police, I can't understand why action wasn't taken to disarm him. I'm no where near the Byron Marchant camp of "taking away all the guns", but I have no problem taking away the guns of someone who is displaying mental illness or is threatening others. If there are real barriers to that kind of action, then that is the gun control we should start with.
Comment