Why cut taxes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    Ha! Liberals complain that corporations don't pay any taxes (seriously, I've been in shareholder meetings where protesters show up and say this). Then they complain when corporate tax rates are reduced. Wouldn't reducing tax rates on corporations have no impact if they already don't pay any taxes?

I'm not saying that's you JiC but your post reminding of this thought I had earlier in the week.
    US corporate rate was way out of line with the rest of the world. 20% puts us right in line with the international average. Europe = 18%, right?

You can correct me if I am wrong.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Ha! Liberals complain that corporations don't pay any taxes (seriously, I've been in shareholder meetings where protesters show up and say this). Then they complain when corporate tax rates are reduced. Wouldn't reducing tax rates on corporations have no impact if they already don't pay any taxes?

I'm not saying that's you JiC but your post reminding of this thought I had earlier in the week.
      I am well aware of what corporations and businesses pay in taxes. I ran my own business for 15 years. I have issue with Substantially raising taxes on one group simply to pay for tax cuts another group.

Does my money spend​ differently, does it not help pay for jobs, help businesses make money, or otherwise add positively to the economy?
      "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

That moment when you realize you are going to be the ones that actually pay for all the crap the government buys. Yes, the uber wealthy cannot pay for this government's spending...it will have to come from the middle class at some point in some form or fashion.
        Hopefully the boost to business will elevate my stocks sufficiently high to make up for the $10K loss per year via taxes.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Hopefully the boost to business will elevate my stocks sufficiently high to make up for the $10K loss per year via taxes.
          Now your thinking!!! #trickledowneconomics
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• We will have to wait and see what happens in congress. I am skeptical this bill will be passed as the house drafted it, if it is passed at all.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
              We will have to wait and see what happens in congress. I am skeptical this bill will be passed as the house drafted it, if it is passed at all.
              I agree with this, as there are too many unyielding factions in Congress. But then, at the start of last year I thought Trump had a snowball's chance of winning the Presidency. <sniff>

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                I agree with this, as there are too many unyielding factions in Congress. But then, at the start of last year I thought Trump had a snowball's chance of winning the Presidency. <sniff>
                Yes but this Congress has failed miserably in all of its efforts because of the discordant notes.
                "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                  One comment about the calculator, it looks like the child tax credit doesn't phase out. Does anybody know if this is accurate? If so, that would be a big deal for me. Currently I receive no child tax credit because it faces out completely at my income level.
                  Yeah. I'm in the same boat except it makes a much smaller difference for me since I don't have as many kids.

I didn't receive the child tax credit last year. With the new plan I'm $545 ahead if I get the Child tax credit and $4255 behind without it.

Comment

• Oh, the condescending game! I'll play, I'm really good at this.

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Uh...that didn't mean what you think it meant. The argument at the time was over the concentration of land into a small number of aristocrats via primogeniture, the transfer of estates to the oldest male heir. This is distinctly different than the ability of a landowner to transfer his estate to heirs via inheritance. TJ may have been opposed to landed aristocrats, but he certainly wasn't opposed to inheriting wealth, as he inherited his and passed it on to his daughter. Had he really taken the position you seem to think he advocated, he would have left his estate to the state of Virginia to be distributed among he poor farmers.

Extra points to the Economist for trotting out Adam Smith. Smith was speaking out against feudalistic practices that kept land in the hands a very small group when land was the primary source, and limiting factor of wealth. The author either knows this but chose to ignore it, or is an ideologue who doesn't want to consider anything that may contradict his notions. He's an historian, not an economist, so I'm guessing the latter, particularly given his disdain for Romney's business acumen.

In fact, the ability it pass property on to heirs is decidedly American. The modern estate tax wasn't put in place until 1916. Other than temporary taxes to raise revenue, the 19th century had few, if any, limits on estate transfers while most other countries had strict laws governing land ownership and control.

I have news for you: when someone dies, there is automatically a wealth redistribution. So you are for a wealth redistribution, but solely to family heirs, regardless of the size of the estate.
                    And I have news for you. Something cannot be redistributed unless it is first distributed. Acquisition is not distribution. Wealth is distributed at death via inheritance, and not redistributed until the government takes it and decides it can allocate capital more efficiently than the person who worked and bore risk to acquire it and then bequeath it. I am not for redistribution. I am for wealth distribution by the one who earned it, and hence earned the right to determine who receives it.

Sure they should get a nice chunk (and 100% in most cases), but they did not earn that wealth any more than you or me.
                    So you want to take money from people who you assume, often incorrectly I might add, did nothing to earn it, and give it to someone else who certainly did nothing to earn it. Makes sense.

Sorry, those are not compelling arguments to me. Nobody is arguing it will eliminate wealth gaps entirely. Fewer poor today doesn't mean we shouldn't have an estate tax.
                    You missed the point, amigo. Fewer poor today has nothing to do with the estate tax, but it has everything to do with the assumption that a wealth gap is keeping the poor from increasing their standard of living. The point of those arguments is to note that 1) the wealth gap isn't a significant economic problem, 2) the most wealthy will remain so regardless of estate taxes, and 3) Given 1 and 2, there is no good reason to force small businesses to spend tens of thousands of dollars to minimize a tax that isn't really targeting them.

OK, raise the exemption. But don't make it limitless.

A farm/ranch is still a business and should be treated the same as other family businesses.
                    I'm fine with this. My only point was that farms and ranches, with most of their asset value tied up in land whose value is impacted by non-agriculture use, are in the unique position of having a great deal of wealth that generates very little cash.

Just so you don't misunderstand, my condescending attitude in this post is an intentional effort to be a smart-alec, not a reactionary response to some perceived offense. I respect your opinions, I just disagree. I also think you need to buy a farm in Wayne County, work your ass off on it to pay for it and build your dream place, create tons of family memories there, and then stipulate in your will that your kids mortgage it for half it's value and give the proceeds to an out of work coal miner in Kentucky.
                    sigpic
                    "Outlined against a blue, gray
                    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                    Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                        Oh, the condescending game! I'll play, I'm really good at this.
                        Condescending? Really?

I have a bunch of responses, but if this exchange upsets you, I will bow out. Peace, brother.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Condescending? Really?

I have a bunch of responses, but if this exchange upsets you, I will bow out. Peace, brother.
                          I wasn't upset at all. I was messing with you, but wasn't offended at all. I guess I should have made my last paragraph my first. Sorry if I came across wrong.
                          Last edited by cowboy; 11-03-2017, 05:10 PM.
                          sigpic
                          "Outlined against a blue, gray
                          October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                          Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• I'm sure glad the richest 1 percent are getting half of the tax breaks. I was really worried about those folks.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...-tax-cuts.html

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                              I'm sure glad the richest 1 percent are getting half of the tax breaks. I was really worried about those folks.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...-tax-cuts.html
                              Can someone explain this graphic to me? I don't get it.

Comment

• Why cut taxes?

Can someone explain this graphic to me? I don't get it.

I think they are trying to say that if there are $100 each year of tax cuts in the bill, the top 1% collectively get$31 of those tax cuts in 2017 and $48 of those tax cuts in 2027

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X