X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Here's some stats that argue for an assault weapons ban:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.0199c99a6d8a

That's just a start, but a needed one. By the way, what happened to all the talk restricting bump stocks?
    i wonder how that goes with this

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/14/s...apon-myth.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
      Check your facts.

https://www.factcheck.org/2013/02/di...pons-ban-work/

You have to look at other factors systematically. Extensive study from UPenn:

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/204431.pdf

We cannot clearly credit the ban with any of the nation’s recent drop in gun violence. And, indeed, there has been no discernible reduction in the lethality and injuriousness of gun violence.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Maximus View Post
        But this is an NRA myth! Oh wait. New York Times.

From the article:

But in the 10 years since the previous ban lapsed, even gun control advocates acknowledge a larger truth: The law that barred the sale of assault weapons from 1994 to 2004 made little difference.

It turns out that big, scary military rifles don’t kill the vast majority of the 11,000 Americans murdered with guns each year. Little handguns do.
        Mass shooting get all the outrage on social media but they are a tiny, tiny fraction of annual gun deaths.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
          Yeah, you dummies... listen to JL.

Besides, after reading Ready Player One I am convinced that VR schools are the way to go.

(Hat tip to Walter for recommending that book to me.)
          Kids spend most of their school day looking at their smart phones anyway, so virtual schools may not be a bad idea. I would think we could leverage technology to have educators create some really good teaching methods that have a chance to fire kids interest and imaginations. My only concern would be where do we teach children social skills which already seem to be in decline.
          One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
          SU

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Check your facts.

https://www.factcheck.org/2013/02/di...pons-ban-work/

You have to look at other factors systematically. Extensive study from UPenn:

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/204431.pdf
            The article I posted only addresses mass shootings, not gun violence in general.
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
              Yeah, you dummies... listen to JL.

Besides, after reading Ready Player One I am convinced that VR schools are the way to go.

(Hat tip to Walter for recommending that book to me.)
              finished already?

The captain conceals the Jade Key
              in a dwelling long neglected
              But you can only blow the whistle
              once the trophies are all collected
              You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
              Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
              You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• I heard a local school official talking about this on the radio that brought up an interesting thought.

She said that they always look at any incident that takes place in a school to try to see what they can learn from them.

In this particular case, she said that the kid in question had essentially had run ins with all of the teachers and administrators. He was a problem for EVERYONE. But then he was expelled. And when he was expelled, they decided that he was out of school and wouldn't be coming back, and wasn't their problem any more.

She indicated that what they learned was that just because a kid has been expelled, doesn't necessarily mean that the kid won't come back to the school. And now they are discussing what, if any, follow up should be done when a kid is expelled or suspended. Should they be checking social media history and current posting? Should the kid get some sort of psych eval? How long after the expulsion should the kid be monitored? Etc.

I thought that was interesting - "Just because the kid has been expelled, doesn't mean he can't come back to the school and cause problems."

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                  I heard a local school official talking about this on the radio that brought up an interesting thought.

She said that they always look at any incident that takes place in a school to try to see what they can learn from them.

In this particular case, she said that the kid in question had essentially had run ins with all of the teachers and administrators. He was a problem for EVERYONE. But then he was expelled. And when he was expelled, they decided that he was out of school and wouldn't be coming back, and wasn't their problem any more.

She indicated that what they learned was that just because a kid has been expelled, doesn't necessarily mean that the kid won't come back to the school. And now they are discussing what, if any, follow up should be done when a kid is expelled or suspended. Should they be checking social media history and current posting? Should the kid get some sort of psych eval? How long after the expulsion should the kid be monitored? Etc.

I thought that was interesting - "Just because the kid has been expelled, doesn't mean he can't come back to the school and cause problems."
                  Waaaaah?!

Sorry, I know this is a serious thread and yours was a serious post, but how dumb are these administrators? You kick a kid out of school, humiliating him in front of his peer group, and then just assume that there will be no possible negative repercussions?
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                    finished already?
                    No, I read to chapter 20-something on the plane ride home. I have another plane ride tomorrow so maybe I'll finish it then.

WEST OF HOUSE
                    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door. There is
                    a small mailbox here.
                    >
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Mass shooting get all the outrage on social media but they are a tiny, tiny fraction of annual gun deaths.

But they do make up a large portion of the kids gunned down in schools.
                      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• suspect wearing a maga hat

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                          suspect wearing a maga hat
                          Not sure why there isn't a law yet that prevents people that wear red hats from purchasing guns. Think of the children! Our schools are turning into war zones!
                          You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                          Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                          You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Oh boy...

Comment

Oh boy...

Lol
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Interesting NYT article. Comes to the conclusion that we have too many mass shootings because we have too many guns. (duh)

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/07/w...imes&smtyp=cur

But this part is relevant to our discussion today:

If mental health made the difference, then data would show that Americans have more mental health problems than do people in other countries with fewer mass shootings. But the mental health care spending rate in the United States, the number of mental health professionals per capita and the rate of severe mental disorders are all in line with those of other wealthy countries.

A 2015 study estimated that only 4 percent of American gun deaths could be attributed to mental health issues. And Mr. Lankford, in an email, said countries with high suicide rates tended to have low rates of mass shootings — the opposite of what you would expect if mental health problems correlated with mass shootings.

Whether a population plays more or fewer video games also appears to have no impact. Americans are no more likely to play video games than people in any other developed country.

Comment

Working...
                                X