Comrade Trump

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Pelado
    Bald not naked
    • Sep 2010
    • 21142

    #1861
    Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Playing it cool. I dig. So are you pouring the Vodka, or am I?
    That's the clear kind, right?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

    Comment

    • frank ryan
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 12373

      #1862
      I just feel blessed Walter graces us with his presence and has taken time away from chaining himself to government installations in the name of world peace.

      He's our own Cindy Sheehan

      Comment

      • Walter Sobchak
        Adventurer
        • Oct 2009
        • 3815

        #1863
        Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
        I just feel blessed Walter graces us with his presence and has taken time away from chaining himself to government installations in the name of world peace.

        He's our own Cindy Sheehan
        You're welcome buddy.

        Compared to Ms. Sheehan, my accomplishments are legion! For example, I was able to pressure an obscure sports message board to downplay the so-called connection between the sitting President of the United States and Russian actors and change a thread title. The primary agitators that were stubbornly proliferating that nonsense subsequently capitulated and acquiesced to the thread title change. Pretty impressive stuff. Go me.
        You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

        Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

        Comment

        • frank ryan
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 12373

          #1864
          Manafort’s got a wimpy ass sentence. Hopefully his next sentencing is harsher. The lax treatment white collars guys seem to get is a stain on our criminal justice system.

          Comment

          • creekster
            It is NOT a monkey!
            • Nov 2008
            • 22661

            #1865
            Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
            I just feel blessed Walter graces us with his presence and has taken time away from chaining himself to government installations in the name of world peace.

            He's our own Cindy Sheehan
            Who was it that used to complain constantly that I was oh-so-snarky?
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

            Comment

            • wapiti
              Junior Member
              • Apr 2012
              • 2064

              #1866
              Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
              Manafort’s got a wimpy ass sentence. Hopefully his next sentencing is harsher. The lax treatment white collars guys seem to get is a stain on our criminal justice system.
              4 years is a long time.

              Comment

              • Bo Diddley
                Senior
                • Jul 2012
                • 18790

                #1867
                Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                Manafort’s got a wimpy ass sentence. Hopefully his next sentencing is harsher. The lax treatment white collars guys seem to get is a stain on our criminal justice system.
                We over incarcerate people in this country.

                Comment

                • Pelado
                  Bald not naked
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 21142

                  #1868
                  Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                  We over incarcerate some types of people in this country.
                  fify
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

                  Comment

                  • frank ryan
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 12373

                    #1869
                    Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                    We over incarcerate people in this country.
                    we do not overincarerate white collar criminals

                    Comment

                    • Bo Diddley
                      Senior
                      • Jul 2012
                      • 18790

                      #1870
                      Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                      we do not overincarerate white collar criminals
                      Do you have any numbers to back that statement up?

                      Comment

                      • frank ryan
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 12373

                        #1871
                        Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                        Do you have any numbers to back that statement up?
                        You think those guys serve sentences on par with drug crimes?

                        Comment

                        • wapiti
                          Junior Member
                          • Apr 2012
                          • 2064

                          #1872
                          Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                          You think those guys serve sentences on par with drug crimes?
                          Do you think white collar criminals are repeat offenders as often as drug criminals? Also, white collar criminals often have to earn money to pay restitution. It's tough to do that from jail.

                          Comment

                          • Bo Diddley
                            Senior
                            • Jul 2012
                            • 18790

                            #1873
                            Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                            You think those guys serve sentences on par with drug crimes?
                            I'll take that as a no. It was an honest question, as I'm interested in the answer. White collar crimes are not tracked as a category as far as I can tell. It looks like there's around $35,000+ people incarcerated for "fraud" in the US, which is somewhere around 2.5% of our offenders. The UK also has about 2.5% of their offenders incarcerated for "fraud". That puts us on par with them as far as a percentage goes, but we incarcerate at five times the rate the UK does. That tells me that we still throw too many people in prison for fraud, whatever that means.

                            Comment

                            • frank ryan
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 12373

                              #1874
                              Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                              I'll take that as a no. It was an honest question, as I'm interested in the answer. White collar crimes are not tracked as a category as far as I can tell. It looks like there's around $35,000+ people incarcerated for "fraud" in the US, which is somewhere around 2.5% of our offenders. The UK also has about 2.5% of their offenders incarcerated for "fraud". That puts us on par with them as far as a percentage goes, but we incarcerate at five times the rate the UK does. That tells me that we still throw too many people in prison for fraud, whatever that means.
                              That says nothing of the length of sentences, nor the conditions of the incarceration. Manafort will go less demeaning and much less awful place than someone convicted of drug offenses. I'm not sure why you're so skeptical about it.

                              Comment

                              • Bo Diddley
                                Senior
                                • Jul 2012
                                • 18790

                                #1875
                                Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                                That says nothing of the length of sentences, nor the conditions of the incarceration. Manafort will go less demeaning and much less awful place than someone convicted of drug offenses. I'm not sure why you're so skeptical about it.
                                The numbers are incarcerated people at a point in time. If the terms are short, more people are being convicted. So I'm not sure where you're going with that. For what Manafort was convicted, how long would you like to see him serve time? As for the living conditions in prison, I'd call that a separate issue.

                                Comment

                                Working...