The condition and direction of the economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The condition and direction of the economy

I've heard it said on a number of occasions that the economy is doing well. I suppose that depends on the definition of 'well', and the metric used for economic performance. Real GDP is growing and the unemployement rate is moderate, while the deficit has come down from record highs - are good things. On the other hand, GDP growth lags an period since WWII, the employment participation rate is at an all-time low, and the deficit is on a projection to become unmanageable as baby-boomers retire - all areas of considerable concern.

I've argued that the last eight years have been an economic disaster, and the chart below shows why I hold that opinion.

Notice that every post-recession period since WWII except the most recent period has shown a rapid expansion that puts real GDP back on the expansion trendline of slightly over 3% annually. Had our economy done this in the most recent recovery, it would be larger by $5-6 trillion, nominally. Using trendline, it would be $5 trillion larger, while using average growth from 1947 to 1999 it would be $6 trillion larger.

This $5 trillion difference is important for a number of reasons. First, based on tax collections of 17% of GDP, the federal coffers would be collection $880 billion more in revenue, eliminating much of the need for discussions about tax increases to fund future liabilities. Second, interest rates would almost surely be higher, which would reward people for saving and stop robbing pensioners of important fixed income. Finally, companies would need more employees, and increase wages to pull people back into the job market. Since most of GDP is consumption, this means that small and large businesses alike would benefit from larger household disposable incomes.

The reasons for a somewhat stagnant GDP (at least by my measure) are debatable. I believe major regulation resulting from legislation shoulders a big part of the blame. Sarbanse-Oxley, Dodd-Frank, and the ACA have all had unintended adverse consequences. Anecdotally, I had a discussion in an airport with the leadership team of a small firm based in Oregon, and the HR director (who loved Obama) made no bones about the fact that they were not going to hire the 25th employee that would trigger mandatory employer health insurance. I also think Obama has done a terrible job encouraging growth. For much of his first and part of his second term, he talked down the economy and vilified corporations in an attempt to get people to blame their problems on Bush and the GOP. I believe this was a colossal mistake, as it discouraged businesses from investing in growth if they were going to have a target on their back. It also made small businesses think twice about any investment when they were always hearing how deep the recession had been and how we should expect slow recovery and more regulation.

Obviously, these are just my opinions, but my underlying premise at least is data driven. I hope that a thread dedicated to the economy will encourage discussion and debate. I may not always agree with an opinion, but as long as it's not just a regurgitated talking point from Mother Jones or Brietbart, I'm happy to discuss. I love economics and hope there are enough interested posters to give this thread some legs.
    sigpic
    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Heh. I guess everyone needs an airball occasionally.
    sigpic
    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Yesterday was Sunday and there is hardly any discussion on Sunday. On the other hand you have stated things very well and and it could be there is not a solid argument with what you have said.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
        Heh. I guess everyone needs an airball occasionally.
        Its probably a result of your original posting being thoughtful, well-reasoned and coherent. It's like a gnarwhal. Sure, they exist, but when it suddenly shows up I dont hthink we know what to do with it.

My knowledge of the economy is purely anecdotal, but I know a couple of my larger clients (companies with >6bn in revenue) have never felt comfortable with this recovery. They have continued to invest and spend like it is a recession.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
          I've heard it said on a number of occasions that the economy is doing well. I suppose that depends on the definition of 'well', and the metric used for economic performance. Real GDP is growing and the unemployement rate is moderate, while the deficit has come down from record highs - are good things. On the other hand, GDP growth lags an period since WWII, the employment participation rate is at an all-time low, and the deficit is on a projection to become unmanageable as baby-boomers retire - all areas of considerable concern.

I've argued that the last eight years have been an economic disaster, and the chart below shows why I hold that opinion.

Notice that every post-recession period since WWII except the most recent period has shown a rapid expansion that puts real GDP back on the expansion trendline of slightly over 3% annually. Had our economy done this in the most recent recovery, it would be larger by $5-6 trillion, nominally. Using trendline, it would be $5 trillion larger, while using average growth from 1947 to 1999 it would be $6 trillion larger.

This $5 trillion difference is important for a number of reasons. First, based on tax collections of 17% of GDP, the federal coffers would be collection $880 billion more in revenue, eliminating much of the need for discussions about tax increases to fund future liabilities. Second, interest rates would almost surely be higher, which would reward people for saving and stop robbing pensioners of important fixed income. Finally, companies would need more employees, and increase wages to pull people back into the job market. Since most of GDP is consumption, this means that small and large businesses alike would benefit from larger household disposable incomes.

The reasons for a somewhat stagnant GDP (at least by my measure) are debatable. I believe major regulation resulting from legislation shoulders a big part of the blame. Sarbanse-Oxley, Dodd-Frank, and the ACA have all had unintended adverse consequences. Anecdotally, I had a discussion in an airport with the leadership team of a small firm based in Oregon, and the HR director (who loved Obama) made no bones about the fact that they were not going to hire the 25th employee that would trigger mandatory employer health insurance. I also think Obama has done a terrible job encouraging growth. For much of his first and part of his second term, he talked down the economy and vilified corporations in an attempt to get people to blame their problems on Bush and the GOP. I believe this was a colossal mistake, as it discouraged businesses from investing in growth if they were going to have a target on their back. It also made small businesses think twice about any investment when they were always hearing how deep the recession had been and how we should expect slow recovery and more regulation.

Obviously, these are just my opinions, but my underlying premise at least is data driven. I hope that a thread dedicated to the economy will encourage discussion and debate. I may not always agree with an opinion, but as long as it's not just a regurgitated talking point from Mother Jones or Brietbart, I'm happy to discuss. I love economics and hope there are enough interested posters to give this thread some legs.
          I agree. This has been the position of Stanford economist, John B. Taylor, that a true recovery would have bounced back more vibrantly and fully than has been witnessed. It has also been argued that the Stimulus package is to blame for this coupled with Obamacare.
          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
            Its probably a result of your original posting being thoughtful, well-reasoned and coherent. It's like a gnarwhal. Sure, they exist, but when it suddenly shows up I dont hthink we know what to do with it.

My knowledge of the economy is purely anecdotal, but I know a couple of my larger clients (companies with >6bn in revenue) have never felt comfortable with this recovery. They have continued to invest and spend like it is a recession.
            Found the same thing with my clients. Combo of their and my feelings. Last couple of years have held around 15% cash which is rare, because they also have the bulk of their cash at banks.

Comment

Working...
            X