Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    The personal tax cuts, yes. The corporate tax cuts were and still are a good idea and quite possibly the reason the economy isn’t in a recession.
    Perhaps the tax cuts merely kicked the recession can down the road a bit. Per the CBO, all of the tax cuts will add just under $2 Trillion in deficits to the economy, while their stimulative effect will disappear within the next four years. And if huge tax cuts can be implemented during what Trump himself has described perhaps the best economy in history, just imagine what he'll do if/when the economy turns south, which is when tax cuts are typically called for. But this is one of the myriad reasons I detest Trump. He's not at all strategic or long-term in his thinking, such as it is, Rather, he's motivated by what is best for him short-term.

Comment

The personal tax cuts, yes. The corporate tax cuts were and still are a good idea and quite possibly the reason the economy isn’t in a recession.
      I don't mind cutting the corporate tax rate, but it is, as I mentioned before, irresponsible to do so without addressing spending.

Comment

Who on here was derided the corporate tax cuts? IIRC everyone on this board was praising those as long overdue. Are you referring to people who say Trump is terrible and hasn't done anything good?

Comment

• I think the tax cuts were used to offset the negative economic effects of the trade war. Without the tax cuts, the tariffs would have sent the economy into recession. As is the tariffs are hurting the world economy, but the US economy is still relatively stable.

I hate the trade the war. I don't think we are "winning." I think it's having negative effects on individuals and businesses that didn't really benefit from the tax cuts. I saw an article the other day saying that capital projects to build schools were coming in way over budget, due in part to tariffs on steel imports. Every school bond that went before voters this year failed, due in part to the sticker shock of the cost of building a new school. The result is overcrowded classrooms and schools. I don't think Trump accounted for that in the effects of the trade war, but the effect is very real.

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
            I think the tax cuts were used to offset the negative economic effects of the trade war. Without the tax cuts, the tariffs would have sent the economy into recession. As is the tariffs are hurting the world economy, but the US economy is still relatively stable.

I hate the trade the war. I don't think we are "winning." I think it's having negative effects on individuals and businesses that didn't really benefit from the tax cuts. I saw an article the other day saying that capital projects to build schools were coming in way over budget, due in part to tariffs on steel imports. Every school bond that went before voters this year failed, due in part to the sticker shock of the cost of building a new school. The result is overcrowded classrooms and schools. I don't think Trump accounted for that in the effects of the trade war, but the effect is very real.
            Good thoughts, but I believe the tax cuts were passed before the tariffs and trade war really got going. But yes, in general we'd be worse off without that and the deregulation. The trade war has slowed things down in particular sectors, like you say. And it goes without saying Trump wouldn't have accounted for negative effects of tariffs. He's always thought going back decades that they are universally a good thing. However, I worry that if the December 15 tariffs on Chinese consumer goods goes into effect that it may push things over the edge in terms of sending the economy toward recession since it represents so many things that will affect consumers directly. Previous rounds have mostly only affected industrial goods.
            Last edited by BlueK; 12-06-2019, 12:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
              Good thoughts, but I believe the tax cuts were passed before the tariffs and trade war really got going. But yes, in general we'd be worse off without that and the deregulation. The trade war has slowed things down in particular sectors, like you say. And it goes without saying Trump wouldn't have accounted for negative effects of tariffs. He's always thought going back decades that they are universally a good thing. However, I worry that if the December 15 tariffs on Chinese consumer goods goes into effect that it may push things over the edge in terms of sending the economy toward recession since it represents so many things that will affect consumers directly. Previous rounds have mostly only affected industrial goods.
              1) Trump knew the tariffs were coming, that's why the tax cuts had to come first.
              2) It's a myth that the December 15 tariffs are the first to affect consumers. I run a consumer products company and we started having goods come under tariff in Sept of 2018. By the Sept 1, 2019 list 95% of our goods were covered. The only imports not on the tariff list at this point are toys, seasonal decorations, and consumer electronics. Trump didn't want the headline that he was taxing Christmas.

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
                1) Trump knew the tariffs were coming, that's why the tax cuts had to come first.
                2) It's a myth that the December 15 tariffs are the first to affect consumers. I run a consumer products company and we started having goods come under tariff in Sept of 2018. By the Sept 1, 2019 list 95% of our goods were covered. The only imports not on the tariff list at this point are toys, seasonal decorations, and consumer electronics. Trump didn't want the headline that he was taxing Christmas.
                they're not the first to affect consumers, of course. But I think these coming up have the potential to whack consumers on the head a lot more than previous rounds of tariffs had given the enormity of products that come from China.

Comment

Unemployment is at 3.5% which is a 50 year low, which is incredible given that the world economy has been slowing. LOL at all the economists and CSers that derided the Trump tax cuts.
                  Cramer: Like or hate Trump, ‘these are the best numbers of our lives’ on jobs

• CNBC’s Jim Cramer says no matter your view on President Trump there’s no denying we’re living in the best labor market in more than a generation.
                  • “This is the best number I’ve ever seen in my life,” says Cramer, 64.
                  • Zeroing in on the 3.5% unemployment rate in November, Cramer says, “Fifty years ago, that number was a curse. Now it’s a blessing.”

CNBC’s Jim Cramer said Friday no matter your view on President Donald Trump there’s no denying we’re living in the best labor market in more than a generation.

“You can’t contradict that these are the best numbers of our lives. You can’t,” Cramer, 64, said following the government report showing the U.S. economy created a better-than-expected 266,000 nonfarm jobs in November, with the unemployment rate dipping to 3.5%, matching a 50-year low. Economists had expected the jobless rate to hold steady at 3.6% last month.
                  [...]
                  https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/06/cram...s-on-jobs.html

I guess Drumpf stealing these jobs from Canada...

Canada loses surprise 71,200 jobs in November, unemployment rate jumps to 5.9%

The Canadian job market lost a surprise 71,200 net positions in November while the unemployment rate rose to 5.9%, the highest in more than a year, data showed on Friday, as analysts said a repeat of the weak numbers could force the Bank of Canada to rethink its monetary policy.
                  [...]
                  https://news.yahoo.com/canada-loses-...135249031.html

LOL@The Dummies in the Great White North...

I am guessing that the canadians added twist off tops to their beer and this has wrecked their job market:

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/06/cram...s-on-jobs.html

I guess Drumpf stealing these jobs from Canada...

https://news.yahoo.com/canada-loses-...135249031.html

LOL@The Dummies in the Great White North...

I am guessing that the canadians added twist off tops to their beer and this has wrecked their job market:

FYI a straight percentage comparison between Canada and the US isn't that useful because the 2 countries differ in how they measure whether a person is actively looking for work or not. The Canadian rate is always a percentage or 2 higher than the American one even when the labor force participation rates are about the same (Canada's is currently higher)

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...rable_Are_They

The main difference, in terms of impact, is the treatment of so-called passive jobseekers— persons who conduct their search for work merely by reading newspaper ads. Such individuals are included in the unemployed in Canada, but are excluded there from in the United States.
                    If you look at historical trends, Canada's unemployment rate is about at the lowest rate it has been in 40 years currently. The US is in a similar boat. They haven't seen rates this low in about 45 years.

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/unemployment-rate

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-...mployment-rate

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                      FYI a straight percentage comparison between Canada and the US isn't that useful because the 2 countries differ in how they measure whether a person is actively looking for work or not. The Canadian rate is always a percentage or 2 higher than the American one even when the labor force participation rates are about the same (Canada's is currently higher)

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...rable_Are_They

If you look at historical trends, Canada's unemployment rate is about at the lowest rate it has been in 40 years currently. The US is in a similar boat. They haven't seen rates this low in about 45 years.

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/unemployment-rate

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-...mployment-rate
                      Man, the job market has really sucked in Canada for a long time... No wonder they are all stacked up along their south border. #BuildTheWall(s)
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• So awesome.

ELSfbhnU0AAP2HB.jpg
                        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Those are manger pictures taken during the Obama admin years?
                          You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                          Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                          You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                            Those are manger pictures taken during the Obama admin years?
                            Doesn't matter.

A teenage boy died of the flu in a spartan cell with only those foil blankets for warmth this past week.
                            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                              Those are manger pictures taken during the Obama admin years?
                              Actually, 6 kids have died this year in CBP custody. Kids dying has never happened before. I know you'd like to scoop up all the horrific (to you merely embarrassing since you support Trump and don't care about immigrants) shit of this administration and blame it on Obama, but you can't. The U.S. government separating families is a unique characteristic of the Trump administration. We have the receipts.

Here- watch the video of the kid dying. I insist.

https://abc7.com/teen-migrant-dies-f...video/5736512/
                              Last edited by Commando; 12-09-2019, 09:32 AM.
                              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                                Actually, 6 kids have died this year in CBP custody. Kids dying has never happened before. I know you'd like to scoop up all the horrific (to you merely embarrassing since you support Trump and don't care about immigrants) shit of this administration and blame it on Obama, but you can't. The U.S. government separating families is a unique characteristic of the Trump administration. We have the receipts.

Here- watch the video of the kid dying. I insist.

https://abc7.com/teen-migrant-dies-f...video/5736512/
                                He only cares if they die by drone strikes.

Comment

Working...
                                X