Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So this is how the Russians are hacking our elections!

Birth tourism brings Russian baby boom to Miami

Lured by the charm of little Havana or the glamour of South Beach, some 15 million tourists visit Miami every year.

But for a growing number of Russian women, the draw isn't sunny beaches or pulsing nightclubs. It's U.S. citizenship for their newborn children.
    [...]
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-miami-n836121
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
      Geez, am I missing something? It states "born of resident aliens", right? If you are an illegal alien, you cannot simultaneously be a resident alien. Remember, this opinion issued before there were congressionally enacted laws that defined legal resident status.
      Does resident in this case mean not illegal? If so, I agree, but the general tone of the position still reads to me that it means all persons born in the country except for very specific circumstances of which illegal alien is never mentioned (as you noted it was written before legal status was defined). I saw "resident" and "domiciled" both mentioned. Neither one to me automatically implies "not illegally" by definitions that I know, but I will grant they may have legal definitions beyond my current knowledge. Everything I googled just stated that resident had more to do with the intent of the alien to make it a permanent domicile. I can find no reference that it requires legal status. Would you mind pointing me out a resource where I could learn from case law or other?

I agree with the quote UT provided which mentioned that the language is broad enough to cover illegal alien, but it has not been challenged yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
        Does resident in this case mean not illegal? If so, I agree, but the general tone of the position still reads to me that it means all persons born in the country except for very specific circumstances of which illegal alien is never mentioned (as you noted it was written before legal status was defined). I saw "resident" and "domiciled" both mentioned. Neither one to me automatically implies "not illegally" by definitions that I know, but I will grant they may have legal definitions beyond my current knowledge. Everything I googled just stated that resident had more to do with the intent of the alien to make it a permanent domicile. I can find no reference that it requires legal status. Would you mind pointing me out a resource where I could learn from case law or other?

I agree with the quote UT provided which mentioned that the language is broad enough to cover illegal alien, but it has not been challenged yet.
        He doesn't want it to mean that, so it doesn't to him.

Comment

• Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
          He doesn't want it to mean that, so it doesn't to him.
          I have continued my searching and have another case to cite.

Use of the phrase "within its jurisdiction" thus does not detract from, but rather confirms, the understanding that the protection of the Fourteenth Amendment extends to anyone, citizen or stranger, who is subject to the laws of a State, and reaches into every corner of a State's territory. That a person's initial entry into a State, or into the United States, was unlawful, and that he may for that reason be expelled, cannot negate the simple fact of his presence within the State's territorial perimeter. Given such presence, he is subject to the full range of obligations imposed by the State's civil and criminal laws. And until he leaves the jurisdiction -- either voluntarily, or involuntarily in accordance with the Constitution and laws of the United States -- he is entitled to the equal protection of the laws that a State may choose to establish.
          From: https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/457/202

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
            Well, you can define 'good businessman' however you want, but I define it as success.
            even assuming the best case scenario for the current state of trumps net worth (ie, his own), its growth has at best tracked a much less risky investment. that’s not success.
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
              even assuming the best case scenario for the current state of trumps net worth (ie, his own), its growth has at best tracked a much less risky investment. that’s not success.
              LOL... you dumb libs are alway trying to measure success financially.

Drumpf pretty much single handily defeated the most qualified and smartest person to ever run for president. What does that make Drumpf? The most unsuccessful person to ever run for president?

Not only did Drumpf do that but he also has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame... how many presidents can say that? In fact, how many of those so called "a-list" stars that constantly criticize the president can say that? Does George Clooney have a star? No. Does Robert De Niro and Leonardo DiCaprio have stars? No. Brad Pitt? They are all just jealous of Drumpf's multitalented success are are constantly trying to drag Drumpf down to their level. What a bunch of losers.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                So this is how the Russians are hacking our elections!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-miami-n836121
                OMG... Frank is right. The Russians are colluding with Drumpf! Follow the money trail:

In a twist, as the Daily Beast first reported, condo buildings that bear the Trump name are the most popular for the out-of-town obstetric patients,...

There is no indication that Trump or the Trump Organization is profiting directly from birth tourism; the company and the White House did not respond to requests for comment.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                  Trump’s known failures are legion (e.g., Trump Airlines, Trump University, Trump Travel, Trump Vodka, Trump Steaks, Trump Mortgage, Trump Taj Mahal and [too lazy to look up the many others]).
                  I had never heard of Trump Travel, so I googled it. Here is the website that was the first hit. They sure want you to know about their relationship with Donald Trump!

http://www.trumptravel.com/

Comment

• I'm fairly liberal on immigration (pro Dream Act and pro unlimited worker visa program), but I don't agree with birthright citizenship for someone whose parents (or maybe just the mom) were in the country illegally when the person was born. Obviously there's a big gray area for some of these kids whose parents are pretty much being allowed to stay regardless of citizenship status and I'm fine with them getting citizenship, but birth tourism or anything in that realm should be denied citizenship.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                      I agree. He's not a good business man. His returns would not be considered "good" for any sort of equity market. He's been smart in utilizing the law to curb his losses in bankruptcies and definitely has a good brand going, so he's not a failure...just an average business Joe.

That being said, Trump isn't dumb and he knows what he's doing, unfortunately. I found it odd that he would be on a tv show, for which his salary would be far below what he could make in other ventures. However, he obviously used his popularity on that show to increase his brand and springboard into the presidency. So while he's had many more losses and failures that you'd expect, he's certainly had some wins.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Another analysis to add to the discussion:

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...ous-ncna926216

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          I'm fairly liberal on immigration (pro Dream Act and pro unlimited worker visa program), but I don't agree with birthright citizenship for someone whose parents (or maybe just the mom) were in the country illegally when the person was born. Obviously there's a big gray area for some of these kids whose parents are pretty much being allowed to stay regardless of citizenship status and I'm fine with them getting citizenship, but birth tourism or anything in that realm should be denied citizenship.
                          But those folks are legally here (on vacation) and pay lots of money! OK, maybe some of it goes to Drumpf but it seems legal.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                            Another analysis to add to the discussion:

United States v. Wong Kim Ark has already been discussed... try to keep up.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                              Another analysis to add to the discussion:

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                              United States v. Wong Kim Ark has already been discussed... try to keep up.
                              There are a couple more cases cited that I found useful in confirming my previous opinion. While United States v. Wong Kim Ark might have some ambiguity, the later cases show that the SCOTUS does not see any. Multiple times they have confirmed that a child of illegal aliens are indeed citizens.

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supre...t/471/444.html

Respondents husband and wife, citizens of Mexico, were smuggled illegally into the United States in 1974. Respondent husband was apprehended in 1978, and, although at his request he was granted permission to return voluntarily to Mexico in lieu of deportation, he refused to leave as promised. Deportation proceedings were then instituted against respondents, who by that time had a child, who, being born in the United States, was a United States citizen.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                                There are a couple more cases cited that I found useful in confirming my previous opinion. While United States v. Wong Kim Ark might have some ambiguity, the later cases show that the SCOTUS does not see any. Multiple times they have confirmed that a child of illegal aliens are indeed citizens.

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supre...t/471/444.html
                                You may be right. I don't know this area of the law. I do note that the holding of the case you're citing here has no bearing on the issue, even though the language you quote supports the inference you are drawing. There may be some argument to be made, but I have no idea if there is a chance to prevail. Either way, it can't/should not be done by executive order.
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                                X