Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    What if I walked from Houston to Utah and you denied me entry into your house?
    OK, OK, maybe plans will change. But right now I have no plans to murder you.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      What if I walked from Houston to Utah and you denied me entry into your house?
      Well, are you violently trying to enter his house?
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
        Well, are you violently trying to enter his house?
        No, Moli just wants JL to adopt him so he can live in his basement... Houston is a very violent place.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          I agree that more context may be needed for the Secretary's statement, but imagine a law enforcement officer saying the same thing just before a peaceful demonstration in D.C., a march in Selma, or even Burning Man. Is there any evidence that participants in the "caravan" are armed or a physical threat? Evidence other than Trump's typically baseless assurances that there are members of MS-13 and Middle Easterners hiding among the rest of the group?
          I believe the politically correct term for these folks is "bad hombres".
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
            I believe the politically correct term for these folks is "bad hombres".
            Dang it--I had typed "bad hombres" before changing it to "the group," not wanting to pile on. Should have gone with my gut.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
              Holy Cow! How about taking thw quotation IN CONTEXT:

"We do not have any intention right now to shoot at people, but they will be apprehended, however," Nielsen said in an interview with Fox News. "But I also take my officers and agents, their own personal safety, extraordinarily seriously. They do have the ability, of course, to defend themselves."

Does that sentiment truly alarm you?
              If I walk into a biker bar and announce to the room that I am carrying a gun and that I'm not afraid to use it, what's the message I'm sending?
              "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                Trump's MO right now right before midterms is to ramp up the hysteria and scare tactics however he can. OH NOES THERE IS AN INVASION AFOOT! Oh f*k right off, you orange douche nozzle. His lieutenants aren't deviating from that script. Hence the 'AS OF RIGHT NOW WE HAVE A BIT OF A MEXICAN STANDOFF IF YOU WILL WITH THE CARAVAN OF MALNOURISHED TODDLERS WHO ARE CLEARLY WELL PAID CRISIS ACTORS AND MIDDLE EASTERNERS WITH FAKE HISPANIC NAMES AND MS13 MEMBERS FROM HONDURAS EVEN THOUGH IT'S AN LA GANG THAT EXPANDS OUTWARD NOT INWARD AND ALSO EACH OF WHOM FORGOT TO GET THEIR MS13 TATTOOS. OUR RIFLES ARE TRAINED ON THEIR NECKS BUT WE DON'T WANT TO MOW THEM ALL DOWN JUUUUST YET!
                This development is playing right into the hands of the Repubs since their position actually aligns with the views of most Americans. Borders matter. President Trump is playing this brilliantly by making the Dems choose one of two unenviable choices. Behind Door #1 take the side of the "peoples without borders" against the POTUS and against the majority view of American voters. Or take door #2 and agree with President Trump's administration that no, you actually don't get to pass through a half-dozen other countries and expect us to throw out the welcome mat... regardless of the color of your skin.
                You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                  If I walk into a biker bar and announce to the room that I am carrying a gun and that I'm not afraid to use it, what's the message I'm sending?
                  That you’re sort of a dumbass.

And also may not be too good at analogies, with respect.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                    This development is playing right into the hands of the Repubs since their position actually aligns with the views of most Americans. Borders matter. President Trump is playing this brilliantly by making the Dems choose one of two unenviable choices. Behind Door #1 take the side of the "peoples without borders" against the POTUS and against the majority view of American voters. Or take door #2 and agree with President Trump's administration that no, you actually don't get to pass through a half-dozen other countries and expect us to throw out the welcome mat... regardless of the color of your skin.
                    If the people in this caravan were pulling handcarts, do you suppose Americans would be more charitable towards them, since they have arguably already been invited by virtue of America's own laws?

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                      That you’re sort of a dumbass.

And also may not be too good at analogies, with respect.
                      Everyone knows and understands that border agents would defend themselves if necessary. To preemptively announce that you don't yet intend to shoot people is unnecessary and unproductive chest puffery. Throwing down the gauntlet does nothing but escalate tensions and increase the likelihood of violence, which I believe is Trump's dream scenario. For two years Trump has tried to paint immigrants as violent thugs and criminals who pose a threat to our country's security. Trump wants violence at the border. He wants to point to himself and say I told you so. He wants to show that immigrants are indeed violent and that they pose a threat.
                      Last edited by Non Sequitur; 10-27-2018, 08:49 AM.
                      "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• I don't think this helps the "seeking asylum" argument...

Migrant caravan members reject offer to stay in Mexico

Under the "You are at home" plan, they would have received benefits if they applied for refugee status and stayed in the country's two southernmost states.

Several thousand Central American migrants turned down a Mexican offer of benefits if they applied for refugee status and stayed in the country's two southernmost states, vowing to set out before dawn Saturday to continue their long trek toward the U.S. border.
                        [...]
                        https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/m...mexico-n925171
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                          I don't think this helps the "seeking asylum" argument...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/m...mexico-n925171
                          Considering that Mexico is not the least bit safe for refugees to remain long-term, I don't think it hurts the argument at all.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-d...ca-immigration

Comment

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
                            Considering that Mexico is not the least bit safe for refugees to remain long-term, I don't think it hurts the argument at all.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-d...ca-immigration
                            Mexico has very strict gun laws... that by the Dems definition, makes it very safe!
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                              Everyone knows and understands that border agents would defend themselves if necessary. To preemptively announce that you don't yet intend to shoot people is unnecessary and unproductive chest puffery. Throwing down the gauntlet does nothing but escalate tensions and increase the likelihood of violence, which I believe is Trump's dream scenario. For two years Trump has tried to paint immigrants as violent thugs and criminals who pose a threat to our country's security. Trump wants violence at the border. He wants to point to himself and say I told you so. He wants to show that immigrants are indeed violent and that they pose a threat.
                              I really think you are over-thinking this. The statement over which so many posts have been made was a comment, not a policy statement, made in response to a question about whether the migrants will be shot. It would be like asking a SAC commander in the 60s if we are planning a first strike. They would have said "no, not at this time, but we reserve that right." It is always true and just isn't that big of a deal. Trump clearly opposes immigration and he has said and done things that make it appear his motivation for doing so is based in racism. That said, there are very legitimate and proper reasons to protect the integrity of our borders. So when the cabinet representative in charge of border security, in response to a question about whether the deployed military will shoot anyone that illegally enters, says that we have no plans to shoot anyone, and that we don't even have plans to shot if we are shot at, but keeps that possibility open, I see nothing wrong with it and, in fact, I think it is a fairly reasonable statement given the ludicrous things Trump tends to say.

Further, I fail to understand why people aren't annoyed at CNN for constructing a headline and article that is clearly misleading and tries itself to stir the passions that you are talking about. The way it was presented by the CNN article, which was technically accurate but misleading, is more likely to result in escalated tensions and, ultimately, violence, than the statement itself.

Either way, bragging about a gun in a biker bar is not a good idea.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• We need to return the Statue of Liberty back to France with the way people's attitudes have shifted. I don't mean the very real need for border control and protection, but the racist invective.

Not to mention the retooling of immigration policy to try and render that phrase/poetry inscripted on it incorrect.
                                Last edited by frank ryan; 10-27-2018, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X