Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Cruz publicly stated that the cop should keep her badge.
    That’s a mischaracterization of what Cruz said...or at least a half truth
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Looks like a shameless effort by Beto to capitalize on a tragedy to score some political points. I.e., something trump would do.
      It’s a legitimate campaign issue for that demographic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        That’s a mischaracterization of what Cruz said...or at least a half truth
        I just read the transcript. You're right. Still, Cruz taking that case as a 'let's not rush to judgement' is typical slimy Cruz. The cop was clearly in the wrong, and an innocent man is dead. That's as easy a firing (and prosecuting) position as you'll see.
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
          I just read the transcript. You're right. Still, Cruz taking that case as a 'let's not rush to judgement' is typical slimy Cruz. The cop was clearly in the wrong, and an innocent man is dead. That's as easy a firing (and prosecuting) position as you'll see.
          I agree with you on this. I don’t think Cruz should have said what he did but he’s not wrong. I also don’t think the officer should be fired right away. She should be placed on administrative leave while due diligence runs its course, which will be quick. Cruz is playing politics to his base (well, he thought he was) and missed pretty badly. Cruz is also starting to have to pander to Trumps base, which is kind of funny to watch.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Trump is threatening to break up Google and Facebook for bias

Attorney General Jeff Sessions is scheduled to meet with state attorneys general on Tuesday to reportedly discuss potential anti-trust actions against tech companies. While little has been publicly released about the meeting, a draft of a White House memo obtained by Business Insider suggests that the White House might be preparing to instruct federal law enforcement agencies, including the Department of Justice, to “thoroughly investigate whether any online platform has acted in violation of the antitrust laws.”

The leaked memo doesn’t name any specific companies that should be investigated for violating anti-trust laws, but it comes after President Donald Trump has publicly attacked a variety of tech businesses for what he perceives as bias against him. “I won’t comment on the breaking up, of whether it’s that or Amazon or Facebook,” President Donald Trump told Bloomberg in August. “As you know, many people think it is a very antitrust situation, the three of them. But I just, I won’t comment on that.”

Lindsey Walters, deputy White House press secretary, denied in a statement to Bloomberg that the document was a part of any “official White House policy making process.” Multiple sources also denied the existence of the document to the Washington Post, which reported this weekend that the memo has been shared with executives at tech companies, including Facebook and Yelp.

“Executive departments and agencies,” the leaked memo says, “with authorities that could be used to enhance competition among online platforms (agencies) shall, where consistent with other laws, use those authorities to promote competition and ensure that no online platform exercises market power in a way that harms consumers, including through the exercise of bias.”

In August, Trump took to Twitter to accuse Google of burying news search results about him. Conservative bias on online platforms has also been the subject of three Congressional hearings this year, the most recent of which featured Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey. During the hearing, Dorsey told Congress that while algorithmic changes to the website had temporarily hidden search results for some users—including Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio)—the action affected 600,000 accounts and did not target conservative accounts.

Tuesday’s meeting between Sessions and an expected two dozen attorneys general will largely explore whether the Department of Justice should pursue anti-trust actions against the companies in question. Louisiana’s Republican AG Jeff Landry told the Advocate that the National Association of Attorneys General, which Landry heads, has been looking into tech companies after hearing complaints of conservative bias on Twitter, Facebook, and Google. “This can’t be fixed legislatively,” he said. The upcoming meeting drew early criticism when it appeared Sessions had only invited Republican attorneys general, but invitations have since been extended to Democrats, including Trump critic Xavier Becerra of California.

The potential for breaking up tech companies has managed to draw criticism from both the right and the left. On Friday, a coalition of groups, including the conservative American Legislative Exchange Council and FreedomWorks, wrote a letter to Sessions outlining concerns with the implications that the Department of Justice may try to use the First Amendment as a means of making antitrust claims. The letter lambasted the idea of regulating the editorial discretion of platforms, stating that, “even if a Fairness Doctrine for the Internet were somehow constitutional, it would undoubtedly backfire against conservatives.”

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...mazon-twitter/

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
              Trump is threatening to break up Google and Facebook for bias

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...mazon-twitter/
              typical wannabe dictator behavior.

Comment

• I just received an email from Trump that began with "You've been one of my most loyal supporters..." If true (and would he ever misstate something?), he's in even more trouble than I had dared hope.

In related news, in a Hidden Brain podcast explaining why more women are coming forward with sexual assault allegations (even very old ones) than ever before, a principal reason given is our President, in that women were so upset that this self-confessed abuser of women got elected that they're finally able to overcome the fears that kept them silent. Despite the risk of wrongful accusations, overall this is actually a worthy example of MAGA.

And finally (at least I'm doing this in a single post), how proud are we of a self-aggrandizing president who boasts of his accomplishments before the UN General Assembly, evoking laughter, and not the good kind?

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                  I just received an email from Trump that began with "You've been one of my most loyal supporters..." If true (and would he ever misstate something?), he's in even more trouble than I had dared hope.

In related news, in a Hidden Brain podcast explaining why more women are coming forward with sexual assault allegations (even very old ones) than ever before, a principal reason given is our President, in that women were so upset that this self-confessed abuser of women got elected that they're finally able to overcome the fears that kept them silent. Despite the risk of wrongful accusations, overall this is actually a worthy example of MAGA.

And finally (at least I'm doing this in a single post), how proud are we of a self-aggrandizing president who boasts of his accomplishments before the UN General Assembly, evoking laughter, and not the good kind?
                  So YOU'RE he closet Trump supporter Frank and others are complaining about!

I have mixed feelings about the UN episode. I can't really blame them for laughing incredulously. I can't even stand to listen to Trump speak about anything, let alone his unprecedented (but imaginary) achievements. OTOH, to think of all those fat cat diplomats sitting on their butts in NYC enjoying the fruits of an organization that we carried for so many years and enjoying the fruits of an economy that was pulled by us for so many years sort of annoys me.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                    So YOU'RE he closet Trump supporter Frank and others are complaining about!

I have mixed feelings about the UN episode. I can't really blame them for laughing incredulously. I can't even stand to listen to Trump speak about anything, let alone his unprecedented (but imaginary) achievements. OTOH, to think of all those fat cat diplomats sitting on their butts in NYC enjoying the fruits of an organization that we carried for so many years and enjoying the fruits of an economy that was pulled by us for so many years sort of annoys me.
                    Yeah, not my favorite audience either. It just bugs me that in a place where a President with any gravitas and oratorical flair (Reagan and JFK come to mind) could make a superb worldwide impression, we're treated instead to childish braying about how great he is, when he's truly not.

Comment

• lol What kind of reaction did he expect? Wild applause? It's almost like he doesn't know he's full of shit and everybody knows it.
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                        like he doesn't know he's full of shit and everybody knows it.
                        He doesn't know it because he's nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                          This post by Ted Cruz in an...interesting tactic. Just not quite sure what he’s aiming for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          I think it had something to do that Beto said in the last debate... referring to law enforcement as "modern-day jim crow". Of course, Beto said that Lion Ted was Lying. Beto also said he didn't try to flee the scene of his DUI accident. It seems that Beto wants to become "Lion Beto" and take the crown from Ted.

Did Beto O’Rourke refer to law enforcement as “modern-day Jim Crow”?

“Just this week, Congressman O’Rourke described law enforcement — described police officers — as modern-day Jim Crow,” Cruz said Friday, referring to a post-Reconstruction system of legally sanctioned racial segregation..

O’Rourke immediately took issue with that claim, arguing that “what Senator Cruz said is simply untrue. I did not call police officers modern-day Jim Crow.”

Cruz seems to be referring to comments O’Rourke made this week at a town hall at Prairie View A&M University, a historically black college in Southeast Texas. O’Rourke used the phrase “new Jim Crow” to refer broadly to an unjust criminal justice system that targets African-Americans.

"That system of suspecting somebody — solely based on the color of their skin. Searching that person — solely based on the color of their skin. Stopping that person — solely based on the color of their skin. Shooting that person — solely based on the color of their skin. Throwing the book at that person and letting them rot behind bars — solely based on the color of their skin. It is why some have called this — I think it is an apt description — the new Jim Crow," O’Rourke said.
                          https://www.texastribune.org/2018/09...debate-claims/
                          Last edited by Uncle Ted; 09-25-2018, 01:25 PM.
                          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                            The off-duty cop went into an apartment she thought was hers (she must have been more drunk than Beto at his 1998 drunk driving accident), which was unlocked, saw someone in there and shot the guy. Clearly she will get at least manslaughter. Cruz is saying that you shouldn't rush to judgement that she committed murder and should be strung up and hung, which is what Beto and his crazy constituents want. Maybe Beto should have been given a felony for trying to flee the scene of his drunken accident without having his day in court as well.
                            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                              The off-duty cop went into an apartment she thought was hers (she must have been more drunk than Beto at his 1998 drunk driving accident), which was unlocked, saw someone in there and shot the guy. Clearly she will get at least manslaughter. Cruz is saying that you shouldn't rush to judgement that she committed murder and should be strung up and hung, which is what Beto and his crazy constituents want. Maybe Beto should have been given a felony for trying to flee the scene of his drunken accident without having his day in court as well.
                              Oh come on Ted. I thought you had better libertarian bonafides than that. There is a cloud of suspicion surrounding that whole case. Witnesses heard her yell 'let me in', which makes her story about the door being open suspect. It was three days before she was even charged (the killing was not in dispute), and then only with manslaughter. I'll let the CS legal eagles weigh in on this, but I read that the fact it was completely intentional means she should be charged with murder. And then the police department leaks the fact he had marijuana in the apartment. Whoopsie!

Cruz is most definitely not playing the rational politician above the fray, and calmly saying we 'shouldn't rush to judgment that she committed murder and should be strung up and down'. He is playing to the right of Beto for the MAGA crowd. There is no reason why that cop shouldn't be charged with murder. There may be extenuating circumstances; let those be aired out in the trial. And there's the stink of at least some misconduct from the police department.
                              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

• And the b*tch had the nerve to complain that she got fired b/c of pressure from 'anti-police' influences. :|
                                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Working...
                                X