Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
    Frank Ryan, this is my problem with the media's portrayal of Trump.

http://theweek.com/articles/682088/m...mb-about-trump

"Are President Trump's truculent attacks on the media both politically cynical and worrying for our democratic norms? Yes"

The article should have basically stopped right there. it gets silly after that point.

So we can just ignore the crazy crap he says because he doesn't really mean it, except for what he really does mean. And it's the media's fault we don't know what he means.

That seems to be the gist of the article: Trump is a motormouth and it's basically wrong to try to hold him accountable for what comes out of it. Nice.
    Last edited by BlueK; 03-01-2017, 09:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
      "Are President Trump's truculent attacks on the media both politically cynical and worrying for our democratic norms? Yes"

The article should have basically stopped right there. it gets silly after that point.

So we can just ignore the crazy crap he says because he doesn't really mean it, except for what he really does mean. And it's the media's fault we don't know what he means.

That seems to be the gist of the article: Trump is a motormouth and it's basically wrong to try to hold him accountable for what comes out of it. Nice.
      I know a large number of people are cynical and distrusting of the media. It started long before Trump became President. He is expressing what a lot of people feel.

A free, honest, unbias press is great for democracy. Free is the only characteristic they can claim. Please overlook generalizations. Some of the press are actually honest and unbias.

Comment

• Originally posted by byu71 View Post
        I know a large number of people are cynical and distrusting of the media. It started long before Trump became President. He is expressing what a lot of people feel.

A free, honest, unbias press is great for democracy. Free is the only characteristic they can claim. Please overlook generalizations. Some of the press are actually honest and unbias.
        Good grief, stop talking about unicorns. The press has never been perfectly unbiased and never will be. Nor does it need to be in order to fulfill its critical role in democracy. Get your news from all sources and learn to filter the biases and stop obsessing about it.

Also, the correct expression is "unbiased press".
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Do you have examples of blatant dishonesty by the press? There will never be a completely unbiased press, as long as human beings are writing the story, but there can be a fair press.
          Donald Trump does what a lot of people are thinking and a lot of what he says is ugly.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
            Do you have examples of blatant dishonesty by the press? There will never be a completely unbiased press, as long as human beings are writing the story, but there can be a fair press.
            Donald Trump does what a lot of people are thinking and a lot of what he says is ugly.
            The press in the day of the founding fathers was often even worse than the Breitbart's of today in terms of partisanship. it was in that environment they still felt it essential to put in the first amendment that congress "shall make no law" to abridge the press.

Donald Trump's speech is nothing more than trying to set the stage where the public starts to think it's ok to eventually do away with a free press and replace with one that can't operate without the approval of the government.

Comment

Serious question, '71. I assume you consider yourself biased in your political views, as everyone else on this board. We all spout off about politics all the time, and our biases are pretty much laid bare. Why would you expect a journalist to be free of bias when they report how they see the news?

And one more rhetorical question to consider. Can a biased journalist be honest?
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                The press in the day of the founding fathers was often even worse than the Breitbart's of today in terms of partisanship. it was in that environment they still felt it essential to put in the first amendment that congress "shall make no law" to abridge the press.

Donald Trump's speech is nothing more than trying to set the stage where the public starts to think it's ok to eventually do away with a free press and replace with one that can't operate without the approval of the government.
                Anyone who longs for the good old days when we had an unbiased press is grossly ignorant of US history.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                  Serious question, '71. I assume you consider yourself biased in your political views, as everyone else on this board. We all spout off about politics all the time, and our biases are pretty much laid bare. Why would you expect a journalist to be free of bias when they report how they see the news?

And one more rhetorical question to consider. Can a biased journalist be honest?
                  Yes, I believe a bias jounalist can be honest. I have never said I am unbias when commenting on the press. However, it isn't hard to spot when their bias makes it easy to mislead.

If there weren't cynics of the press they would get more powerful and more powerful until the country moved in the direction they and their bias want to go.

As stupid as some find my worries about the press and how they sway the public, I find their worries that because of the Donald we won't end up with a free press to be laughable at best.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Anyone who longs for the good old days when we had an unbiased press is grossly ignorant of US history.
                    You are absolutely right. I spotted how they lean clear back as a teenager when Kennedy went up against Nixon. At least they tried to hide it long ago.

Comment

You are absolutely right. I spotted how they lean clear back as a teenager when Kennedy went up against Nixon. At least they tried to hide it long ago.
                      No they didn't. In the 19th century the way you became powerful in politics was to buy a newspaper and use it to ruthlessly slander your opponents. Today's stuff is tame by comparison.

Comment

Yes, I believe a biased jounalist can be honest. I have never said I am unbiased when commenting on the press. However, it isn't hard to spot when their bias makes it easy to mislead.

If there weren't cynics of the press they would get more powerful and more powerful until the country moved in the direction they and their bias want to go.

As stupid as some find my worries about the press and how they sway the public, I find their worries that because of the Donald we won't end up with a free press to be laughable at best.

Comment

Sorry, can you explain why you are calling me a moron?

Comment

Sorry, can you explain why you are calling me a moron?

"bias journalist" (WRONG)
                            "biased journalist" (CORRECT)

Comment

I agree he won't be able to succeed in taking down freedom of the press. He would love to, but he won't be able to. That said, the president of the US doesn't have the right to pick and choose which outlets he allows to cover his press conference. As a CEO of a private company he can do that all he wants. As a king or dictator who doesn't need consent of the governed he can. But as an elected public servant employed by the taxpayers to represent all the people, he cannot. When Obama tried it conservatives called foul. Same rules should apply here. If he kept CNN out of the room but allowed Fox, CNN would easily win that battle in court.
                              Last edited by BlueK; 03-01-2017, 10:34 AM.

Comment

"bias journalist" (WRONG)
                                "biased journalist" (CORRECT)
                                Bad speller sure, but a moron?? I don't think I ever was a great speller. I guess I have done pretty well considering I am and have been a moron all these years.

One other bad thing. The older I get the less I worry about stuff I really don't give a shit about. I don't give a shit about spelling correctly on here for sure. If that is a punishable offense, I accept the terms.

Comment

Working...
                                X