Animated map of high-speed train system in the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
    Could you give me a reference. Some of my golfing buddies over dinner started talking about the subject. One brought up the huge number of $$ being spent on undocumenteds for schooling, food stamps, incarcerration (SP) etc. in Calif. I argued saying they pay more in than they take out. Later I realized I was remembering what PAC said about Calif. in relation to the Federal government. I didn't correct myself though.

Have any studies been done to see what the net effect is. Not the effect of immigration including legal and illegal, but the effect when you just count undocumenteds?
    I’m not sure if you’re kidding here, or simply have better things to do than a Google search which will reveal that this issue has been the subject of LOTS of study and analysis. Sifting through the polemics from commentators on both sides (as if there were only two) of the immigration issue has led me to the following conclusions:

On balance, illegal immigrants are a net positive to the economy, but certainly not without some clear negatives. The negatives include driving down wages, since undocumenteds will perform necessary but very undesirable jobs for chump change (see anecdote at the end of this yawner); without immigrant labor (legal and illegal), wages on the low end of the pay scale would absolutely rise. That’s but one example of a result that is both positive (cheaper goods and services for the consumer) and negative (lower pay for laborers). One can read other commentaries that report how much illegals drain from government coffers for health care, law enforcement, etc., but they generally overlook that illegal immigrants are less likely than their legal counterparts to obtain/require such governmental attention, since they try to avoid governmental interaction.

One of the things that bothers me most about Trump is his constant demonization of anything or anyone he perceives as an enemy. The vast majority of undocumented workers in this country are good, hard-working people, not “bad hombres.” Deporting all of them (thankfully, an impossible task), would unquestionably have a very serious negative impact on the economy, not to mention the cruel effect of disrupting lives and separating families.

My anecdote: my law partner represents nearly all of the independent waste management (okay, garbage) companies in Northern California. Pretty much every garbage company is required to run a recycling facility that typically consists of long conveyor belts onto which all the recycling crap we throw out every week is dumped. The debris, much of which is pretty disgusting, moves along the conveyor belt while dozens of workers sort through the passing trash and put it in the appropriate receptacle (paper, plastic, boogers, etc.) all day long. Great job, right? And for this they might get the princely sum of $10/hour. As long as they provide an SS number, local laws prevent the employer from inquiring whether they’re undocumented, but most of them are. We know this because after anywhere from 2-5 months, the employer gets a notice from the feds that the SS number to which the worker’s pay was being allocated (and taxed) isn’t correct and a proper one needs to be provided. When the worker is alerted to this requirement, he/she never shows up for work the following day, presumably getting a job at another similarly enjoyable position elsewhere, and the taxes that were paid on the worker’s behalf go into the pot to pay your and my SS benefits, not hers or his. Get rid of all of these people and your garbage bill will jump, as will the cost of a lot of other goods and services.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      My anecdote: my law partner represents nearly all of the independent waste management (okay, garbage) companies in Northern California. Pretty much every garbage company is required to run a recycling facility that typically consists of long conveyor belts onto which all the recycling crap we throw out every week is dumped. The debris, much of which is pretty disgusting, moves along the conveyor belt while dozens of workers sort through the passing trash and put it in the appropriate receptacle (paper, plastic, boogers, etc.) all day long. Great job, right? And for this they might get the princely sum of $10/hour. As long as they provide an SS number, local laws prevent the employer from inquiring whether they’re undocumented, but most of them are. We know this because after anywhere from 2-5 months, the employer gets a notice from the feds that the SS number to which the worker’s pay was being allocated (and taxed) isn’t correct and a proper one needs to be provided. When the worker is alerted to this requirement, he/she never shows up for work the following day, presumably getting a job at another similarly enjoyable position elsewhere, and the taxes that were paid on the worker’s behalf go into the pot to pay your and my SS benefits, not hers or his. Get rid of all of these people and your garbage bill will jump, as will the cost of a lot of other goods and services.
      It seems the right thing to do here is to charge all you dummies that are mixing your recyclables with your trash more money. What the hell is wrong with you people? It is not that hard.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
        It seems the right thing to do here is to charge all you dummies that are mixing your recyclables with your trash more money. What the hell is wrong with you people? It is not that hard.
        In my neighborhood we are required, at threat of fine, to separate our trash into three separate containers. Green for yard and other green waste, blue for suitable plastic and glass recyclables, and brown for run of the mill trash. Every Wednesday night I dutifully leave our three bins, each containing only appropriate items, on the curb. And each Thursday morning before dawn two trucks come by. One takes the green waste. The other takes the brown bin and then the blue bin, picks them up with the same hydraulic arm and dumps them into the same bin on the truck. Really. I've watched it many times. So don't blame us, blame the trash companies.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
          In my neighborhood we are required, at threat of fine, to separate our trash into three separate containers. Green for yard and other green waste, blue for suitable plastic and glass recyclables, and brown for run of the mill trash. Every Wednesday night I dutifully leave our three bins, each containing only appropriate items, on the curb. And each Thursday morning before dawn two trucks come by. One takes the green waste. The other takes the brown bin and then the blue bin, picks them up with the same hydraulic arm and dumps them into the same bin on the truck. Really. I've watched it many times. So don't blame us, blame the trash companies.
          In Texas we have the same sort of thing... We have a big blue trash can for recyclables: plastics, glass, paper, etc. We have a big gray trash can for garbage. These are all set out in our back alley for the trash and recycle guys to pick up (different trucks). Now for the yard and green waste we just pile that out front on the first Thursday of the month and this crane-like thing with a giant claw picks it up and throws it in the back of a large truck. It gets turned into mulch which they sell back to us. So it seems California is creating artificial need for undocumented workers... what a bunch of dummies.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

In Texas we have the same sort of thing... We have a big blue trash can for recyclables: plastics, glass, paper, etc. We have a big gray trash can for garbage. These are all set out in our back alley for the trash and recycle guys to pick up (different trucks). Now for the yard and green waste we just pile that out front on the first Thursday of the month and this crane-like thing with a giant claw picks it up and throws it in the back of a large truck. It gets turned into mulch which they sell back to us. So it seems California is creating artificial need for undocumented workers... what a bunch of dummies.
            And in Texas are plastics, glass and paper, etc. all treated the same way (and together) in the recycling process? Because we're apparently not nearly as sharp as you Texans, those elements of the recycling bin (and yes, we have the same bins you do) need to be sorted through and separated. How is this done in Texas, if not by unskilled, low paid labor? I'm also embarrassed to report that occasionally we dumb Californians put things in the wrong bin, which requires manual extraction. Apparently Texans have never committed such errors.

Edit: After posting, intrigued by the possibility that Texas had solved the need for low paid, unskilled workers in recycling, I Googled images for Texas recycling facilities. The first pic that popped up was of a group of PhDs no doubt pulling down welder's money at a Texas MRF:

Last edited by PaloAltoCougar; 02-22-2017, 05:14 PM.

Comment

In that case, California should pull out the wall and let all the undocumented workers in... The rest of the country could just give illegal immigrates one-way tickets to California. The immigration problem is solved! Thanks Commando! You are a genius.
              Why? I don't follow your logic. Maybe Breitbart has an article that would elucidate your point? By the way, the word is 'immigrant.' With an 'n.'
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                Why? I don't follow your logic. Maybe Breitbart has an article that would elucidate your point? By the way, the word is 'immigrant.' With an 'n.'
                immigrate is sort of an amusing malaprop. ungrateful immigrants, legal or otherwise, are immigrates.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Well, I knew this was inevitable. But I thought they would pour tens of billions more down the sinkhole before they pulled the plug. Gavin Newsom announced that he is abandoning the full scale Sac-SF and SF-LA HSR plan. Instead, they are going to complete the heavily trafficked Merced to Bakersfield corridor. GN saw the writing on the wall w/r/t to ballooning capital costs; maybe his advisors should have given him a basic economics lesson in sunk costs as well. If revenue/operating costs were going to be a challenge on the SF-LA route, I can't wait to see what the lucrative Merced to Bakersfield route will bring.

I won't bore everyone with a repost of my thoughts in general on HSR in America. If anyone wants a refresher, the first page of this thread is filled with conflicted feelings of a man who makes his living delivering projects to passenger rail clients, but can't get on board with a national HSR system. Summary is I think HSR is amazing and I would love to work on designing a new system, but I think it's cost-effectiveness is very limited in the USA and public investment should be limited to specific corridors where HSR can ease the burden on other travel modes. I think HSR will arrive here eventually. The feds have made significant investment in the northeast corridor to get the Acela up to 150 mph where geometry allows. Brightline (a private entity) will have 125 mph passenger service to Orlando in the next 3 years. They also acquired the Los AngelesVictorville to Las Vegas high speed rail venture and appear to be serious about finally getting that done. It would be nice to get some 200 mph trains in the heaviest corridors, but as California's misadventure has proved that will take better planning and very large public investment.

As a side note, this makes AOC's Green New Deal appear even more ridiculous. Abandoning air travel for HSR in ten years was laughable on its face because it is impossible, but now we have a real life failure example in the richest state in the union that also had the most political will to build a HSR network.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...d-13610732.php

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                    Well, I knew this was inevitable. But I thought they would pour tens of billions more down the sinkhole before they pulled the plug. Gavin Newsom announced that he is abandoning the full scale Sac-SF and SF-LA HSR plan. Instead, they are going to complete the heavily trafficked Merced to Bakersfield corridor. GN saw the writing on the wall w/r/t to ballooning capital costs; maybe his advisors should have given him a basic economics lesson in sunk costs as well. If revenue/operating costs were going to be a challenge on the SF-LA route, I can't wait to see what the lucrative Merced to Bakersfield route will bring.

I won't bore everyone with a repost of my thoughts in general on HSR in America. If anyone wants a refresher, the first page of this thread is filled with conflicted feelings of a man who makes his living delivering projects to passenger rail clients, but can't get on board with a national HSR system. Summary is I think HSR is amazing and I would love to work on designing a new system, but I think it's cost-effectiveness is very limited in the USA and public investment should be limited to specific corridors where HSR can ease the burden on other travel modes. I think HSR will arrive here eventually. The feds have made significant investment in the northeast corridor to get the Acela up to 150 mph where geometry allows. Brightline (a private entity) will have 125 mph passenger service to Orlando in the next 3 years. They also acquired the Los AngelesVictorville to Las Vegas high speed rail venture and appear to be serious about finally getting that done. It would be nice to get some 200 mph trains in the heaviest corridors, but as California's misadventure has proved that will take better planning and very large public investment.

As a side note, this makes AOC's Green New Deal appear even more ridiculous. Abandoning air travel for HSR in ten years was laughable on its face because it is impossible, but now we have a real life failure example in the richest state in the union that also had the most political will to build a HSR network.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...d-13610732.php
                    It is a joke that they are going to finish the Merced to Bakersfield portion. Just abandon it altogether. They have wasted so much money.

Comment

I am so glad we have tried to cut our losses. This HSR project has been a boondoggle from the beginning.The environmental regulations and associated costs in CA need to change if something like this is to be successful.

Comment

Working...
                      X