Isolationism

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • byu71
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 22070

    #1

    Isolationism

    I freely admit I lean to the conservative side. I was talking with a couple of
    fiends who lean the same direction. Suprisingly we all pretty much come down on the side of Obama handling this Iranian affair properly so far.

    As the conversation carried on further we found we all are pretty much tired of being the worlds protector. Without getting into serious thought, we talked about pulling troops out of Germany and perhaps North Korea.

    We just make the statement, work out your own problems and if you attack us we will obliterate you.

    Is isolationism a conservative principle or a liberal principle?
  • YOhio
    Hipster Mode
    • Nov 2008
    • 26165

    #2
    I think we should wait to pull our troops out of North Korea until after we dispose of KJI.

    Isolationism as part of a larger ideology seems to vary from presidential term to presidential term. If Reagan is upsetting the Soviet Union and meddling in Granada and GHWB is bombing Iraq, then the Dems are isolationist. If Clinton is sending troops to Kosovo and Somalia, then the GOP is isolationist. And so it goes.

    Comment

    • wuapinmon
      Soul Plumber
      • Dec 2008
      • 30711

      #3
      Originally posted by YOhio View Post
      I think we should wait to pull our troops out of North Korea until after we dispose of KJI.
      A+!

      Bravo, sir.
      "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
      The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

      Comment

      • Babs
        Not a Lawyer
        • Nov 2008
        • 17128

        #4
        Originally posted by byu71 View Post
        I freely admit I lean to the conservative side. I was talking with a couple of
        fiends who lean the same direction. Suprisingly we all pretty much come down on the side of Obama handling this Iranian affair properly so far.

        As the conversation carried on further we found we all are pretty much tired of being the worlds protector. Without getting into serious thought, we talked about pulling troops out of Germany and perhaps North Korea.

        We just make the statement, work out your own problems and if you attack us we will obliterate you.

        Is isolationism a conservative principle or a liberal principle?

        Well, isolationism is, by its very essence, conservative foreign policy. Neoconservatives universally renounce isolationism, though. So it's really kind of backwards anymore. The people we think of as liberals are more likely to espouse the conservative foreign policy approach. The people we think of as conservatives (really, neocons) espouse the liberal interventionist foreign policy.

        Comment

        • Indy Coug
          Heartless Bastard
          • Dec 2008
          • 18747

          #5
          Isolationism didn't work in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, so why would it work now?
          Everything in life is an approximation.

          http://twitter.com/CougarStats

          Comment

          • byu71
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 22070

            #6
            Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
            Isolationism didn't work in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, so why would it work now?
            The internet didn't work in the 18th and 19th centuries either.

            Comment

            • Indy Coug
              Heartless Bastard
              • Dec 2008
              • 18747

              #7
              Originally posted by byu71 View Post
              The internet didn't work in the 18th and 19th centuries either.
              Neither did plaid pants and polka-dotted shirts.
              Everything in life is an approximation.

              http://twitter.com/CougarStats

              Comment

              • SCcoug
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 7625

                #8
                Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                Is isolationism a conservative principle or a liberal principle?
                I agree with Y, nowadays it depends on which party is in power and how the opposition can leverage foreign policy to get back in power. I think both parties have constituencies within them that are isolationist.

                Comment

                • I.J. Reilly
                  Nobody's Fool
                  • Apr 2009
                  • 2949

                  #9
                  Off the top of my head, I can't think of a time when isolationism was a correct policy. Perhaps someone who knows history better than I can remind me of one. I'm well aware of George Washington's foreign entanglement quote, but I'm not sold that it is a strict isolationist policy.

                  Comment

                  • Jarid in Cedar
                    CS Institutional Memory
                    • Jun 2009
                    • 13234

                    #10
                    Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
                    Off the top of my head, I can't think of a time when isolationism was a correct policy. Perhaps someone who knows history better than I can remind me of one. I'm well aware of George Washington's foreign entanglement quote, but I'm not sold that it is a strict isolationist policy.
                    IMO, isolationism simply delays a probem reaching our shores and allows it to grow larger. I am not a proponent of "preemptive strikes" by any stretch, but I think you need to stay engaged in the world simply if to be more aware of the threats and their current status.
                    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

                    "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

                    "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

                    -Rick Majerus

                    Comment

                    • SCcoug
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 7625

                      #11
                      Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                      As the conversation carried on further we found we all are pretty much tired of being the worlds protector. Without getting into serious thought, we talked about pulling troops out of Germany and perhaps North Korea.

                      We just make the statement, work out your own problems and if you attack us we will obliterate you.
                      Seems like if you endorse the current liberal trade order we enjoy that is globalization then you need to accept the security that must be present for it to function and spread. I agree that other countries should pull their weight more but most of our current allies can't or won't do that. The US should seek to expand from our traditional western European allies and reach out to the rising economic powers like India and China or Brazil that have the most to gain from keeping globalization going.

                      Comment

                      • SCcoug
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 7625

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                        IMO, isolationism simply delays a probem reaching our shores and allows it to grow larger. I am not a proponent of "preemptive strikes" by any stretch, but I think you need to stay engaged in the world simply if to be more aware of the threats and their current status.
                        A good example of a different type of "preemptive strike" or "preemptive nation building" that is under reported is the combined joint task force horn of Africa. CJTF-HOA basically combines elements of the peace corp, USAID, training local security forces and has the firepower to go after any bad actors if needs be.

                        from wikipedia:
                        Since then, CJTF-HOA personnel have built numerous schools, clinics and hospitals; conducted dozens of MEDCAPs, DENTCAPs and VETCAPs; drilled and refurbished more than 113 water wells; and trained in collaboration with most Partner nation militaries. Additionally, members of the Task Force have assisted with at least 11 humanitarian assistance missions, including recovery efforts after the collapse of a four-story building in Kenya in 2006, the capsizing of a passenger ferry in Djibouti in 2006, and floods in Ethiopia and Kenya in 2006.

                        It will be interesting to see how successful CJTF-HOA can continue to be over the next few years.

                        See also: http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...d/cjtf-hoa.htm

                        Comment

                        • wuapinmon
                          Soul Plumber
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 30711

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                          IMO, isolationism simply delays a probem reaching our shores and allows it to grow larger. I am not a proponent of "preemptive strikes" by any stretch, but I think you need to stay engaged in the world simply if to be more aware of the threats and their current status.
                          I feel like American isolationism exacerbated some of the conflicts of the Second World War because we were not prepared to stand against the rise of Fascism during the early 1930's.

                          Frank Capra's Why We Fight series, sort of discusses some of this, albeit from a one-sided and purposeful position.
                          [YOUTUBE]
                          <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vrwT2K3SwGk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vrwT2K3SwGk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
                          "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                          The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                          Comment

                          • Jarid in Cedar
                            CS Institutional Memory
                            • Jun 2009
                            • 13234

                            #14
                            Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                            A good example of a different type of "preemptive strike" or "preemptive nation building" that is under reported is the combined joint task force horn of Africa. CJTF-HOA basically combines elements of the peace corp, USAID, training local security forces and has the firepower to go after any bad actors if needs be.

                            from wikipedia:
                            Since then, CJTF-HOA personnel have built numerous schools, clinics and hospitals; conducted dozens of MEDCAPs, DENTCAPs and VETCAPs; drilled and refurbished more than 113 water wells; and trained in collaboration with most Partner nation militaries. Additionally, members of the Task Force have assisted with at least 11 humanitarian assistance missions, including recovery efforts after the collapse of a four-story building in Kenya in 2006, the capsizing of a passenger ferry in Djibouti in 2006, and floods in Ethiopia and Kenya in 2006.

                            It will be interesting to see how successful CJTF-HOA can continue to be over the next few years.

                            See also: http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...d/cjtf-hoa.htm
                            Now that's a type of "preemptive strike" I can get behind.
                            "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

                            "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

                            "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

                            -Rick Majerus

                            Comment

                            Working...