Wow. Apparently Gawker insisted that it had a first amendment right to show a video, attained through some nefarious mean, featuring Hulk Hogan's penis. Shockingly, the jury disagreed that Hogan's schlonging was a newsworthy item entitled to constitutional protection.
Gawker media must pay Hulk Hogan $115 million
Collapse
X
-
Gawker media must pay Hulk Hogan $115 million
Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”Tags: None
-
I haven't been following this but I am guessing that for that kind of money Hulk Hogan must have big hands."If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
"Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!
-
If the judgment is upheld on appeal, I'm not sure how Gawker survives.Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”
Comment
-
Maybe so, but I predict this will be reversed. It's well established that pictures of penises are subject to first amendment protection.Originally posted by old_gregg View Postgood. gawker is a cesspool.When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
--Jonathan Swift
Comment
-
-
How much did Erin Andrews get for the peephole video? $54M?Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.
Dig your own grave, and save!
"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American
"I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally
GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!
Comment
-
Perhaps if the government wants to restrict the images, but this is a civil matter. This is not really a libel case and it's not newsworthy, so I don't even know if the public figure issue even comes into play. In fact, I can't think of much of any precedent for this case. The facts are pretty bad, the video was recorded without his knowledge and it was released to the public without the consent of the person secretly recorded.Originally posted by SeattleUte View PostMaybe so, but I predict this will be reversed. It's well established that pictures of penises are subject to first amendment protection.Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”
Comment
-
Based on a quick perusal of the Hollywood Reporter article linked on Drudge it sounds like the trial judge really screwed (no pun intended) Gawker in ruling on motions in limine. This one might be coming back.PLesa excuse the tpyos.
Comment
-
The article I just skimmed said that there was little or no evidence about how or why it was recorded shown to the jury and the jury didn't even see any of the tape. What were the causes of action?Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View PostPerhaps if the government wants to restrict the images, but this is a civil matter. This is not really a libel case and it's not newsworthy, so I don't even know if the public figure issue even comes into play. In fact, I can't think of much of any precedent for this case. The facts are pretty bad, the video was recorded without his knowledge and it was released to the public without the consent of the person secretly recorded.PLesa excuse the tpyos.
Comment
-
Violation of privacy rights, publicity rights, intentional infliction of emotional distress.Originally posted by creekster View PostThe article I just skimmed said that there was little or no evidence about how or why it was recorded shown to the jury and the jury didn't even see any of the tape. What were the causes of action?Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”
Comment
-
-
Funny that an argument that Hulk Hogan uses is that "Hulk" is a public personality who talks about his sexual exploits on Howard Stern radio show, but Terry Bollea is a not a public figure. He argues that the sex tape was of Terry Bollea. But he is awarded damages in the realm of a public figure like Hulk Hogan.
I also love that the picture of him on the stand he is wearing his signature Hulk Hogan doo rag too."Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.
Comment
-
"...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
"You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
- SeattleUte
Comment
Comment