Trigger warnings, safe spaces, and fascism on college campuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
    For the lawyers on the board - the right to fracture a minor's skull over anthem disrespect - is that considered a natural right, or is it defined in the Constitution and/or the statutes?
    Nobody ever looks into the 10th Amendment....it might be in there.

Comment

• So - saying that the teen "cursed at" the guy - can we assume he told the guy to "F" off?

I know he says it was about disrespecting the flag - but I suspect that played a pretty big role in some of this.

Not saying that makes it so that the guy's actions were justified. I mean - I suspect most of us have felt like grabbing a teen by the throat and throwing them to the ground at one point or another, but managed to restrain ourselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
        So - saying that the teen "cursed at" the guy - can we assume he told the guy to "F" off?

I know he says it was about disrespecting the flag - but I suspect that played a pretty big role in some of this.

Not saying that makes it so that the guy's actions were justified. I mean - I suspect most of us have felt like grabbing a teen by the throat and throwing them to the ground at one point or another, but managed to restrain ourselves.
        Weird response man. The guy said it was about the flag. I’ve never had to check myself right before I body slammed s kid.

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
          I blame Trump.
          Trump didn't create the parts of our current culture that are insane. But he sure knows how to benefit himself through it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
            So - saying that the teen "cursed at" the guy - can we assume he told the guy to "F" off?

If you say, "point of personal privilege" first, you can body-slam anyone you want.
            "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
            -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

• Originally posted by Solon View Post
              If you say, "point of personal privilege" first, you can body-slam anyone you want.
              [emoji23][emoji23]
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Solon View Post
                So that is what that phrase means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                  So that is what that phrase means.

I assume it justifies whatever your personal privilege is. I know that sounds dangerous, but I didn't make the rules.
                  Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                    So much amazing going on in this video. Watch the whole thing. Excellent stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryJteQTPBlU
                    I am equal parts laughing at and pissed off by that video.

I have a really good friend that has a daughter with Celiac disease. For her daughter, it is a legit medical diagnosis and if her daughter eats gluten it can cause serious medical consequences. All this gluten tolerance bullshit pisses her off as it undermines her daughter's needs. So many people are claiming bullshit about gluten that it can cause people to not take her daughter's needs seriously thinking she is just another one of those gluten intolerant crazies.

I feel the same damn way watching this video and the individual with "sensory sensitivity." My son's Sensory Processing Disorder is a legitimate condition that requires us to make adjustments to his day-to-day lives. I've heard him as a 4 year old crying out when people are yelling that it "hurts his ears." He was acting like he was legitimately in pain. I have had him start clinging to me the moment we went into a Costco because it was just too much input. I have many times dealt with a normally sweet/loving kid that is out of control because of some sensory trigger.

It is legit and we adjust. We also adjust with keeping others in mind and not trying to make it everyone else's problem. If things are too loud, we use high fidelity earplugs. We try to avoid situations that we know will cause sensory triggers. We rarely go to movies (my son has seen less than 10 movies in the theater). We haven't flown for a vacation in almost 4 years now because airplanes are really hard for him. However, sometimes we do need help and people to work with his sensory stuff. We need the school to have a calming space for him if he is in sensory meltdown. We need the school to give us a heads up about fire drills so that we can prepare him. We need the school to have noise cancelling headphones available to him. We aren't asking them to eliminate noise, we are asking for reasonable accommodation.

This person complaining about his sensory sensitivity to the whispering (which shouldn't be a big deal even with someone with SPD), just makes people not believe what our son has is real. It limits our abilities to have the accommodations that he needs. It makes people think it is bullshit.

In short, get some fucking high fidelity earphones (which will completely eliminate the sound of the whispering and allow you to hear everyone who is talking in a normal voice) and shut the fuck up. They are only $35.00 on Amazon and you can stop making it everyone else's problem.
                    https://www.amazon.com/Eargasm-Music...dDbGljaz10cnVl
                    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Occasionally, I wonder about your son and how he is doing as he grows.

Comment

• Well said Funk

Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• The body slammer guy thinks he was following the will of his commander and chief.

https://apple.news/ADallIH0STZSZ7_2forGCYw

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                            The body slammer guy thinks he was following the will of his commander and chief.

https://apple.news/ADallIH0STZSZ7_2forGCYw
                            He's also claiming to have had a previous traumatic brain injury which damaged his frontal lobe and has impaired his judgment (and for which he was medically discharged from the Army), but you didn't include that in your comment.

Jasper also told the Billings Gazette that a traumatic brain injury sustained in a car accident 19 years ago has severely hampered Brockway’s judgment. The accident, which damaged his frontal lobe, the part of the brain typically associated with problem-solving and make rational decisions, was the reason for his discharge from the military. The defense attorney believes that these all made his client more susceptible to the president’s repeated calls for violence.

Jasper said he will seek a mental health evaluation for Brockway before deciding how to move forward with the case.

"Obviously he owes a big portion of accountability for what took place. But it's certain that there was other things at work here that definitely contributed," Jasper told the Billings Gazette.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                              He's also claiming to have had a previous traumatic brain injury which damaged his frontal lobe and has impaired his judgment (and for which he was medically discharged from the Army), but you didn't include that in your comment.
                              Thank god you came to the rescue! We all would have assumed he was of sound mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                                Thank god you came to the rescue! We all would have assumed he was of sound mind.
                                Just keeping you honest Frank!

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X