Trigger warnings, safe spaces, and fascism on college campuses

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69742

    #736
    Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I think a big majority of Trump support came from people voting against this kind of stuff, much more than racists. Unfortunatley I think all that has happened is it has made both sides dig in even deeper. I will be flat out shocked if Trump doesn’t have a barrage of tweets about this, which will make the left dig in and support the ban.
    I can't wrap my brain around someone being against this book. It is an American treasure. And exactly the kind of thing we ought to be rallying around. A shared story that affirms the best of humanity and condemns the worst.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment

    • HuskyFreeNorthwest
      Time to camp
      • Nov 2008
      • 26082

      #737
      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      I can't wrap my brain around someone being against this book. It is an American treasure. And exactly the kind of thing we ought to be rallying around. A shared story that affirms the best of humanity and condemns the worst.
      Completely agree. I don’t think people really think anymore. They just react, to anything.
      Get confident, stupid
      -landpoke

      Comment

      • Pelado
        Bald not naked
        • Sep 2010
        • 21149

        #738
        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        I can't wrap my brain around someone being against this book. It is an American treasure. And exactly the kind of thing we ought to be rallying around. A shared story that affirms the best of humanity and condemns the worst.
        I could see any US political party screwing that up.


        Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

        Comment

        • Shaka
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2008
          • 10450

          #739
          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          I can't wrap my brain around someone being against this book. It is an American treasure. And exactly the kind of thing we ought to be rallying around. A shared story that affirms the best of humanity and condemns the worst.
          This

          The world would be a better place if everyone stopped what they were doing and read this book tomorrow.

          Comment

          • wuapinmon
            Soul Plumber
            • Dec 2008
            • 30711

            #740
            Everyone knows it's a sin to kill To Kill a Mockingbird.
            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

            Comment

            • Moliere
              One man.....one pie
              • Oct 2009
              • 27897

              #741
              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Not a college campus, but the same modern phenomenon. Mississippi school district pulls To Kill a Mockingbird from the student reading list because it contains words that might offend some people.

              http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/201...strict_pu.html

              Sigh...
              Ha, of course it makes people in Alabama uncomfortable.


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

              Comment

              • creekster
                It is NOT a monkey!
                • Nov 2008
                • 22661

                #742
                Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                Ha, of course it makes people in Alabama uncomfortable.


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I thought the same thing except about Mississippi which is, you know, where this happened.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                Comment

                • Moliere
                  One man.....one pie
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 27897

                  #743
                  Originally posted by creekster View Post
                  I thought the same thing except about Mississippi which is, you know, where this happened.
                  Ugh, the al in the web address messed me up. I bet Alabama feels uncomfortable with it as well


                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                  Comment

                  • Jeff Lebowski
                    Corporate lackey for Jesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 69742

                    #744
                    University of Utah student Sean Taylor does not believe in freedom of speech. And the constitution is no longer relevant.



                    “I don’t think he should speak,” the student organizer said. When the interviewer pointed out that such a position is not in line with the First Amendment, the protester replied, “I don’t care.”

                    “I don’t care...I don’t think that’s, like, a relevant document right now,” the student demonstrator added.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                    Comment

                    • Color Me Badd Fan
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 12519

                      #745
                      Redbook/Cosmopolitan says its bad to allow your daughter to dress up as Moana for Halloween.

                      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69742

                        #746
                        Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                        Redbook/Cosmopolitan says its bad to allow your daughter to dress up as Moana for Halloween.

                        http://www.redbookmag.com/life/mom-k...ostume-racist/
                        The reaction to that has been funny.

                        “What if your son wants to dress up as Moana?”
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • snowcat
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2009
                          • 1348

                          #747
                          Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                          Redbook/Cosmopolitan says its bad to allow your daughter to dress up as Moana for Halloween.

                          http://www.redbookmag.com/life/mom-k...ostume-racist/
                          My five year old is planning to dress as Elsa from Frozen this year (he/she is not white). I guess I need to tell her/him to stay in his/her lane.
                          One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

                          Woot

                          I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
                          SU

                          Comment

                          • Jeff Lebowski
                            Corporate lackey for Jesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 69742

                            #748
                            Originally posted by snowcat View Post
                            My five year old is planning to dress as Elsa from Frozen this year (he/she is not white). I guess I need to tell her/him to stay in his/her lane.
                            Gender appropriation!
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                            Comment

                            • snowcat
                              Senior Member
                              • Jan 2009
                              • 1348

                              #749
                              Thanks Ohio!

                              halloween.jpg

                              From the Ohio State University student magazine.
                              One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

                              Woot

                              I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
                              SU

                              Comment

                              • Omaha 680
                                Senior Member
                                • Jul 2011
                                • 11183

                                #750
                                Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                                Redbook/Cosmopolitan says its bad to allow your daughter to dress up as Moana for Halloween.

                                http://www.redbookmag.com/life/mom-k...ostume-racist/
                                This part is great:

                                The original article, written by Sachi Feris, discusses how her white daughter was torn between dressing as Elsa, from Frozen, or the titular character from Moana. Feris expresses concern that while an Elsa costume might reinforce notions of white privilege, dressing up as Moana is essentially cultural appropriation — the act of reducing someone's culture to stereotypes, and thereby belittling it.
                                So princesses are out all together for white kids, I guess. My daughter is going to be Darth Vader. Is that ok?

                                Comment

                                Working...