No announcement yet.

Trigger warnings, safe spaces, and fascism on college campuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It cool to hold on to some folklore and cultural traditions but since she is actually at a university she should take advantage of it and actually learn something. Sad really.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Ha.

Welcome to the twilight zone of post-modernism, where facts are entirely subjective. Here, competing epistemologies like, say, Newton’s theory of gravity are but one of many lenses through which one can understand the world. Just because witchcraft can’t be proven by “Western” empirical studies, that doesn’t mean it’s not real. You racist.
      http://www.dailywire.com/news/10000/...-joshua-yasmeh
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
        It cool to hold on to some folklore and cultural traditions but since she is actually at a university she should take advantage of it and actually learn something. Sad really.
        Scroll though this timeline. It's widespread.

https://twitter.com/realpeerreview

Comment

• Remember the controversy over halloween costumes at Yale one year ago? The professor in question has left Yale. She wrote an essay for WaPo:

Certain members of the community used me and my family as tinder for a mass emotional conflagration by refusing to state the obvious: that the content of my albeit imperfect message fell squarely within the parameters of normal discourse and might even have been worth considering on its merits as an adjunct to prevailing campus orthodoxy. There was no official recognition that the calls to have us fired could be seen as illiberal or censorious. By affirming only the narrow right to air my views, rather than helping the community to grapple with its intense response, an unfortunate message was made plain: Certain ideas are too dangerous to be heard at Yale.
          It takes more than Yale’s admirable free speech code to ensure a healthy habitat for learning. My fear is that students will eventually give up trying to engage with each other, a development that will echo in our wider culture for decades. My critics have reminded me that there are consequences to my exercise of free speech. Now it’s Yale’s turn to examine the consequences of its own stance: the shadow on its magnificent motto, “Light and truth.”
          Also, libertarians aren't all boring dummies:

http://bleedingheartlibertarians.com...appropriation/
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Remember the controversy over halloween costumes at Yale one year ago? The professor in question has left Yale. She wrote an essay for WaPo:

Also, libertarians aren't all boring dummies:

http://bleedingheartlibertarians.com...appropriation/
            This comment is a gem:

On a legitimately serious note, God bless you Irish-Americans for being the last group in this country to know what America is all about. You came from a part of the world that thought of you as barely human, endured all manner of ugly reception when you came here, and pulled yourself into prosperity, all while having the most raucous fun embracing the most ridiculous, over-the-top stereotypes that anyone has ever fashioned, and inviting the rest of us in on the festivities. Unlike the rest of us identity-group citizens, you have the brains to know that a WASP chick staggering down Fifth Avenue with a giant leprechaun hat and a "kiss me; I'm Irish" button isn't a sign of oppression; it's a sign of success. My hat is off to you. I'll still be out of your neighborhood by 10, because I'm brown and I ain't stupid, but my hat's off to ya.
            "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• (bump)

If there is a silver lining to the Trump victory, it's that maybe it will shut down all the stupid SJWs and PC Bros. They deserve some blame for this fiasco.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

(bump)

If there is a silver lining to the Trump victory, it's that maybe it will shut down all the stupid SJWs and PC Bros. They deserve some blame for this fiasco.
                I don't know. The way they are taking this loss as a personal affront to themselves is concerning.

Comment

(bump)

there's a good chance it does the opposite
                  Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                    there's a good chance it does the opposite
                    Could be. Will be interesting to watch.

Comment

(bump)

You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                        What a bunch of p***ies.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• I taught on two classes on 9-11 and would have taught my afternoon one had BYU not canceled classes.

So far, my building is exceedingly quiet today. I know that my colleagues in Spanish and English are teaching, but it appears the other subjects are too overwhelming to my colleagues in business, the arts, science, and the social sciences.
                          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                            Fearing for their families? Did Trump already start the Purge? I thought as an Elite I was supposed to be given advanced notice

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                              Fearing for their families? Did Trump already start the Purge? I thought as an Elite I was supposed to be given advanced notice
                              That Cobert clip in the other thread really was an eye opener for me.

He said that according to polls, around 50+% of democrats are in fear of republicans. While around 49% of republicans are in fear of democrats. So, assuming that most of the population fits into one group or the other (sorry for the grouping, Ted) that means that around half of the population is living in fear of the other political party.

WTH? Fear?

I don't get it. Other than we tend to overstate the dire potential consequences of the other party being in power in an attempt to get our own people to vote. And that "fear" that both sides spread actually sticks beyond the election for half of the people.

Comment

(bump)

I work for one of the Claremont Colleges...things are brewing. The people here are beside themselves with grief and a sense that they need to now do something. Oh boy!

Comment

Working...
                                X