The 2015 Market Crash

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69703

    #181
    Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    I used the word "significant" in that it's fine to have money in the stock market, I wouldn't have a significant portion of my savings in there. Plus, there are a lot of better investment vehicles open to people that have a lot of money, but I'm sure PAC knows this.
    The point still stands. Unless PAC needs to cash out the bulk of his fund in the next 5-10 years (not likely), he is wise to keep a significant part of his portfolio in stocks.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment

    • byu71
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 22070

      #182
      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      The point still stands. Unless PAC needs to cash out the bulk of his fund in the next 5-10 years (not likely), he is wise to keep a significant part of his portfolio in stocks.
      I would tend to agree with you. Hope that doesn't hurt your rep.

      I have this rule, which I break now and then. Look at the alternatives I can be comfortable with. Right now it is just Cash, Fixed Income and Equities. I have enough real estate for me.

      Cash yields 0%, fixed income depending on the investment and maturity could be 1%-8%. Of course the higher the yield the higher the risk. Since I think rates are going up any allocation I would have to fixed income I have in cash. Values could drop more than the income flow over the next few years.

      Me personally, I am guessing over a 3 year period in equities I will come out 0% or better. So better than cash.

      Because of my age I do keep 3 years worth of estimated yearly expenses in cash. However, one allocation does not fit all. You have to take in the "can't sleep" factor.

      If someone averages 10% over 5 years that's great unless they stressed out getting there.

      Of course I am just sharing my opinion in general here because it seems today I like to hear myself talk.

      Comment

      • All-American
        Right, as Usual
        • Nov 2008
        • 15665

        #183
        Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
        You can eat that marshmallow on the table in front of you right now, or if you wait five minutes, you'll get two marshmallows.
        Perhaps they don't like marshmallows. Or money. I dunno.
        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

        Comment

        • Jeff Lebowski
          Corporate lackey for Jesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 69703

          #184
          Originally posted by byu71 View Post
          I would tend to agree with you. Hope that doesn't hurt your rep.

          I have this rule, which I break now and then. Look at the alternatives I can be comfortable with. Right now it is just Cash, Fixed Income and Equities. I have enough real estate for me.

          Cash yields 0%, fixed income depending on the investment and maturity could be 1%-8%. Of course the higher the yield the higher the risk. Since I think rates are going up any allocation I would have to fixed income I have in cash. Values could drop more than the income flow over the next few years.

          Me personally, I am guessing over a 3 year period in equities I will come out 0% or better. So better than cash.

          Because of my age I do keep 3 years worth of estimated yearly expenses in cash. However, one allocation does not fit all. You have to take in the "can't sleep" factor.

          If someone averages 10% over 5 years that's great unless they stressed out getting there.

          Of course I am just sharing my opinion in general here because it seems today I like to hear myself talk.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment

          • PaloAltoCougar
            Semper infra dignitatem
            • Nov 2008
            • 16936

            #185
            Just to confirm people's assumptions, or to put others at ease, I've got a pretty balanced portfolio, modest though it is, that currently is around 40% fixed income and cash, and 60% in equities (and spread across the spectrum of stocks). At 64, I understand I should be moving increasingly away from stocks and toward fixed income, but I'm happy to keep a bit more in stocks than might be typical. I don't want to miss out on the market rise as America becomes great again...

            Comment

            • Northwestcoug
              Cocked and Loaded
              • May 2011
              • 18026

              #186
              I'm at least 15 years away from retirement, which I assume should lead me to consider a different portfolio than I have. It has about 48% equity. It's called 'moderate' though it is the 3rd most conservative model portfolio available to me. I'm pretty risk averse, but I am considering gambling and bumping up my portfolio a growth notch!
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69703

                #187
                Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                I'm at least 15 years away from retirement, which I assume should lead me to consider a different portfolio than I have. It has about 48% equity. It's called 'moderate' though it is the 3rd most conservative model portfolio available to me. I'm pretty risk averse, but I am considering gambling and bumping up my portfolio a growth notch!
                With 15 years before retirement, you will likely withdraw your money over a period stretching from 15-40 years from now. That is long term by every definition.

                That being said, you need to be comfortable with your plan.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • creekster
                  It is NOT a monkey!
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 22661

                  #188
                  Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                  Just to confirm people's assumptions, or to put others at ease, I've got a pretty balanced portfolio, modest though it is, that currently is around 40% fixed income and cash, and 60% in equities (and spread across the spectrum of stocks). At 64, I understand I should be moving increasingly away from stocks and toward fixed income, but I'm happy to keep a bit more in stocks than might be typical. I don't want to miss out on the market rise as America becomes great again...
                  I am very relieved. I know I speak for many others when I say that this discussion had me very worried about your financial well-being.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                  Comment

                  • Paperback Writer
                    Signature won a Pulitzer
                    • Nov 2010
                    • 5211

                    #189
                    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    The point still stands. Unless PAC needs to cash out the bulk of his fund in the next 5-10 years (not likely), he is wise to keep a significant part of his portfolio in stocks.
                    Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                    I would tend to agree with you. Hope that doesn't hurt your rep.

                    I have this rule, which I break now and then. Look at the alternatives I can be comfortable with. Right now it is just Cash, Fixed Income and Equities. I have enough real estate for me.

                    Cash yields 0%, fixed income depending on the investment and maturity could be 1%-8%. Of course the higher the yield the higher the risk. Since I think rates are going up any allocation I would have to fixed income I have in cash. Values could drop more than the income flow over the next few years.

                    Me personally, I am guessing over a 3 year period in equities I will come out 0% or better. So better than cash.

                    Because of my age I do keep 3 years worth of estimated yearly expenses in cash. However, one allocation does not fit all. You have to take in the "can't sleep" factor.

                    If someone averages 10% over 5 years that's great unless they stressed out getting there.

                    Of course I am just sharing my opinion in general here because it seems today I like to hear myself talk.
                    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    My thinking is that as one approaches retirement or is in retirement, to leave 3-5 years of living income out of the stock market. Most market corrections take that amount of time. That way one doesn't have to sell stocks/funds to pay the bills while the market is down. The trade off is that one has to accept a lower return on that 3-5 years of living income.
                    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

                    Comment

                    • Moliere
                      One man.....one pie
                      • Oct 2009
                      • 27881

                      #190
                      Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                      I'm at least 15 years away from retirement, which I assume should lead me to consider a different portfolio than I have. It has about 48% equity. It's called 'moderate' though it is the 3rd most conservative model portfolio available to me. I'm pretty risk averse, but I am considering gambling and bumping up my portfolio a growth notch!
                      I've got some of mine in low price stocks, which are riskier but yield a very heathy rate of return over a long time horizon. I'm 25+ years from the typical retirement age so I'm fine with my portfolio bouncing around.

                      Keep in mind though that the average life expectancy is below 80 years (76 for US males). Granted no one person is the statistical average, but the septuagenarians I know in my ward are not the epitome of someone living a healthy, active lifestyle.


                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                      Comment

                      • Northwestcoug
                        Cocked and Loaded
                        • May 2011
                        • 18026

                        #191
                        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        With 15 years before retirement, you will likely withdraw your money over a period stretching from 15-40 years from now. That is long term by every definition.

                        That being said, you need to be comfortable with your plan.
                        Yeah, I know. I am meeting with my advisor this spring. He may finally persuade me...
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

                        Comment

                        • byu71
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 22070

                          #192
                          A lot of good thoughts. I like this thread.

                          Comment

                          • Jeff Lebowski
                            Corporate lackey for Jesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 69703

                            #193
                            Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                            I've got some of mine in low price stocks, which are riskier but yield a very heathy rate of return over a long time horizon. I'm 25+ years from the typical retirement age so I'm fine with my portfolio bouncing around.

                            Keep in mind though that the average life expectancy is below 80 years (76 for US males). Granted no one person is the statistical average, but the septuagenarians I know in my ward are not the epitome of someone living a healthy, active lifestyle.


                            Dude, you are killing me today.

                            The older you get, the higher your expected age at death. Actuary 101. Someone approaching age 65 can expect to live to 84 on average.

                            https://www.ssa.gov/planners/lifeexpectancy.html

                            Either way, it would be crazy to spend down your savings based on the AVERAGE age of death. 50% of folks live longer than that. You need to plan on living well into your 90's, just in case.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                            Comment

                            • Paperback Writer
                              Signature won a Pulitzer
                              • Nov 2010
                              • 5211

                              #194
                              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post


                              Dude, you are killing me today.

                              The older you get, the higher your expected age at death. Actuary 101. Someone approaching age 65 can expect to live to 84 on average.

                              https://www.ssa.gov/planners/lifeexpectancy.html

                              Either way, it would be crazy to spend down your savings based on the AVERAGE age of death. 50% of folks live longer than that. You need to plan on living well into your 90's, just in case.
                              Or build up a portfolio large enough so that annual returns pay the bills and the principle is not reduced. One way to reach that goal is to invest early and have a high allocation of equities.
                              “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                              "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

                              Comment

                              • Moliere
                                One man.....one pie
                                • Oct 2009
                                • 27881

                                #195
                                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post


                                Dude, you are killing me today.

                                The older you get, the higher your expected age at death. Actuary 101. Someone approaching age 65 can expect to live to 84 on average.

                                https://www.ssa.gov/planners/lifeexpectancy.html

                                Either way, it would be crazy to spend down your savings based on the AVERAGE age of death. 50% of folks live longer than that. You need to plan on living well into your 90's, just in case.
                                I'm not sure where I said or even implied this.

                                I'm just making the case for a less risky investment portfolio as you age. PAC is 64, so his portfolio should look different than mine.


                                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                                Comment

                                Working...