Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Space, *quit swearing in titles*; space.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like spacex successfully landed their first stage back in Florida.

Comment

Comment

My son wil be spending a month or so at SpaceX starting in January. He said the facility is incredible.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

It would be cool to work there but the reputation is that it's a meat-grinder. Some people enjoy that type of environment but not me. Maybe if I was younger. Now that I'm old and fat and mean, I like going home on weekends.

Comment

Here is the landing video.

Comment

Space X lands one at sea...

Doesn't look quite like a bullseye but close enough.
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                Space X lands one at sea...

Doesn't look quite like a bullseye but close enough.
                50 MPH winds on that landing.

Comment

Comment

Amazing.
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

Sending a probe to Alpha Centauri... in only about 20 years:

Inside a Billionaire’s New Interstellar Mission

[...]
                      Aerospace engineers have spent decades trying to push spacecraft to extreme speeds, and with great success. The New Horizons probe that just whistled by Pluto is our fastest flying spaceship. It can cover more than one million miles per day. But if we aimed New Horizons at Alpha Centauri, it would reach the star tens of thousands of years from now. Interstellar travel with existing propulsion technology is all but unimaginable.

But, new technology might be on the way.

At noon today, Yuri Milner, the Russian tech billionaire, will join Stephen Hawking atop Manhattan’s Freedom Tower, where the pair will announce Starshot, a $100 million dollar research program, the latest of Milner’s “Breakthrough Initiatives.” (Mark Zuckerberg will serve on Starshot’s board, alongside Milner and Hawking.) With the money, Milner hopes to prove that a probe could make the journey to Alpha Centauri in only 20 years.
                      [...]
                      http://www.theatlantic.com/science/a...ntauri/477669/

Sounds kind of crazy but what else is people like Mark Zuckerberg going to do with all that money?
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                        Sounds kind of crazy but what else is people like Mark Zuckerberg going to do with all that money?
                        Build one of these:

big_boy_rocket.jpg
                        You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Falcon Heavy demo flight was today. Sounds like the center core didn't successfully land on the drone ship but the two side boosters made it back to the cape.

The payload:

Side booster landings:

Comment

Watching the side boosters land simultaneously, with all the people cheering in the background, was pretty awesome.

I don't think there's any news about the center core yet, but yeah, that probably means that it crashed.
                            "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                            "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                            This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                            "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                            "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Livestream of Elon's old car in space:
                              "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                              "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                              This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                              "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                              "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Those boosters landing together was the most badass thing I've seen in a long time.

Comment

Working...
                                X