Obama and Socialism

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • KillerDog
    a.k.a. K-dog
    • Feb 2009
    • 4196

    #16
    Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Maybe if self-defined "socialists" had not murdered over 100 million people in the twentieth century the word woudn't be so freighted. Smarty pants, have you ever consdiered what Nazi and USSR are acronyms for?
    I know what they stand for. The interesting thing to me is the inability of regular people to separate the National Socialists' eugenics from their socialism or the USSR's socialist economic concepts from Uncle Joes dictatorial bent. In short, it wasn't socialism that made them murderers. I'm no socialist, I think socialism doesn't solve problems but socialism also doesn't murder people and send them to camps. Dictatorships do.

    Comment

    • JohnnyLingo
      La Naranja
      • Nov 2008
      • 3976

      #17
      Originally posted by YOhio View Post
      Did you not read this post?
      I did, but I see a difference between throwing a ton of money at GM and outright taking control.

      It may be a small difference, but it's there.

      And to reiterate, I didn't like it when W did it at the time, either. He believed the socialist rhetoric that the only way to save the country was to throw taxpayer money at the problem.

      Comment

      • KillerDog
        a.k.a. K-dog
        • Feb 2009
        • 4196

        #18
        Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
        So you say this, and then say this?



        Where did W oversee government takeovers of major US corporations?
        LOL! If you think Bush left businesses alone, you weren't paying attention. He increased control every time he could. He set Obama up to take control of GM. He forced companies to take government money they didn't want so they would be under his thumb (see banking). He forced companies to do lots of things. If you truly condemn socialism, open your eyes and start looking for it. Drop the partisan bullshit.

        Comment

        • JohnnyLingo
          La Naranja
          • Nov 2008
          • 3976

          #19
          Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
          LOL! If you think Bush left businesses alone, you weren't paying attention. He increased control every time he could. He set Obama up to take control of GM. He forced companies to take government money they didn't want so they would be under his thumb (see banking). He forced companies to do lots of things. If you truly condemn socialism, open your eyes and start looking for it. Drop the partisan bullshit.
          You may want to read the post directly above yours.

          Comment

          • SeattleUte
            Faith crisis consultant
            • Nov 2008
            • 20837

            #20
            Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
            I know what they stand for. The interesting thing to me is the inability of regular people to separate the National Socialists' eugenics from their socialism or the USSR's socialist economic concepts from Uncle Joes dictatorial bent. In short, it wasn't socialism that made them murderers. I'm no socialist, I think socialism doesn't solve problems but socialism also doesn't murder people and send them to camps. Dictatorships do.
            I wouldn't be so sure about that. I think here is a context where fears of a slippery slope are valid. See the Weimarer republic, the fate of Republican Greece and Rome. It's a lot harder to roll back government intrusion into private activity than to extend it.
            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

            --Jonathan Swift

            Comment

            • JohnnyLingo
              La Naranja
              • Nov 2008
              • 3976

              #21
              So after that tangent, here are my conclusions:

              1. Obama IS a socialist, but that's really not so bad.

              2. W was a socialist, too.

              Comment

              • TripletDaddy
                sweet triple
                • Nov 2008
                • 58186

                #22
                Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                LOL! If you think Bush left businesses alone, you weren't paying attention. He increased control every time he could. He set Obama up to take control of GM. He forced companies to take government money they didn't want so they would be under his thumb (see banking). He forced companies to do lots of things. If you truly condemn socialism, open your eyes and start looking for it. Drop the partisan bullshit.
                To put things in perspective, lingo just recently graduated college. That would make him about 24 or 25?

                This means that he was about 16 when W first took office. He spent 2 years of W's term overseas and the rest of it as an undergrad, not really working and not really paying taxes (just like all of us when we were in school). He wasn't even born when Reagan took office.

                At first I thought Lingo was gracing us with his poor attempts at trolling, but it is becoming more and more clear that he really doesn't understand the first thing about law, economics, taxes, politics, etc. I take him at his earlier word. He really doesn't know. And since he is barely out in the world, it seems that most of his politics stems from his mom and dad, as opposed to really thinking about/experiencing these issues.

                This is not surprising. Lingo does not support Obama, yet has admitted to not really knowing much about his policies. Lingo is a xenophobe that shows no empathy when illegal aliens die in car crashes, yet he lives in a state that doesn't really have to grapple with illegal immigration to any remarkable degree. The list could go on and on.
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                sigpic

                Comment

                • KillerDog
                  a.k.a. K-dog
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 4196

                  #23
                  Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                  You may want to read the post directly above yours.
                  I think taking control is taking control. It doesn't matter if the control is open and notorious unless you are trying to get real property rights.

                  Comment

                  • JohnnyLingo
                    La Naranja
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 3976

                    #24
                    Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                    I think taking control is taking control. It doesn't matter if the control is open and notorious unless you are trying to get real property rights.
                    Fair enough. I had forgotten about TARP and the controls that came with it, among other things.

                    Fine. W was a socialist. So is Obama. Are we really okay with this?

                    Comment

                    • KillerDog
                      a.k.a. K-dog
                      • Feb 2009
                      • 4196

                      #25
                      Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                      Fair enough. I had forgotten about TARP and the controls that came with it, among other things.

                      Fine. W was a socialist. So is Obama. Are we really okay with this?
                      I'm not but my people have been outvoted for a long time by those who feel sorry for everyone else. Ever since FDR bullied the SCOTUS into telling businesses how much they could pay, we've been in trouble.

                      Comment

                      • JohnnyLingo
                        La Naranja
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 3976

                        #26
                        Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                        I'm not but my people have been outvoted for a long time by those who feel sorry for everyone else. Ever since FDR bullied the SCOTUS into telling businesses how much they could pay, we've been in trouble.
                        Wait, how much businesses could pay? Or how much they could charge? You're talking about FDR's NRA, right?

                        Comment

                        • Swimmer
                          The "Open Book" Member
                          • Feb 2009
                          • 180

                          #27
                          Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                          So let's just establish what it would take for you to agree that Obama is a socialist, in the hypothetical instance that he is.

                          Does that seem fair?
                          That is a fair suggestion, and I am more than willing to attempt to do so, but I would truly like to know what is so wrong with moving in a more Socialistic direction? We have been living a life of capitalistic greed for many years and it hasn't seemed to work out very well. And NO, I do not want to live in a political environment of complete governmental control, but I see nothing wrong with making things a bit more equitable in this country. I am ready, willing, and able to take all the criticism that is most assuredly coming my direction.
                          “According to the teachings of Buddhism, the worst thing that you can do to your karma is to say to someone else that their faith is bad”

                          Comment

                          • byu71
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 22070

                            #28
                            Originally posted by Swimmer View Post
                            That is a fair suggestion, and I am more than willing to attempt to do so, but I would truly like to know what is so wrong with moving in a more Socialistic direction? We have been living a life of capitalistic greed for many years and it hasn't seemed to work out very well. And NO, I do not want to live in a political environment of complete governmental control, but I see nothing wrong with making things a bit more equitable in this country. I am ready, willing, and able to take all the criticism that is most assuredly coming my direction.

                            It hasn't worked very well. You mean based on a very short snapshot in time.

                            Let's see. Over the past 60 years which has worked better. American Capitalism or European Socialism.

                            Comment

                            • JohnnyLingo
                              La Naranja
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 3976

                              #29
                              Originally posted by Swimmer View Post
                              That is a fair suggestion, and I am more than willing to attempt to do so, but I would truly like to know what is so wrong with moving in a more Socialistic direction? We have been living a life of capitalistic greed for many years and it hasn't seemed to work out very well. And NO, I do not want to live in a political environment of complete governmental control, but I see nothing wrong with making things a bit more equitable in this country. I am ready, willing, and able to take all the criticism that is most assuredly coming my direction.
                              I'm just saying I didn't see much of this before the election. I agree that socialism is merely another political school of thought. One that I disagree with, but just a collection of ideas. But if you ever accused Obama of being one back in September, you got shouted down instantly.

                              Today, it appears people are more willing to embrace socialistic change and treat it like it's no big deal. I respect that, but I'm looking for people who ranted against labeling Obama a socialist nine months ago and are now quiet.

                              Comment

                              • il Padrino Ute
                                Junior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 19161

                                #30
                                Originally posted by Swimmer View Post
                                That is a fair suggestion, and I am more than willing to attempt to do so, but I would truly like to know what is so wrong with moving in a more Socialistic direction? We have been living a life of capitalistic greed for many years and it hasn't seemed to work out very well. And NO, I do not want to live in a political environment of complete governmental control, but I see nothing wrong with making things a bit more equitable in this country. I am ready, willing, and able to take all the criticism that is most assuredly coming my direction.
                                Define "a bit more equitable", please. When I hear that phrase, I interpret it as taking from those who have earned what the have and giving it to those who are not willing to earn it.

                                I will agree that capitalism can create gaps between the haves and have nots, but I tend to believe that it happens because the have nots in general are not willing to do what it takes to become one of the haves.
                                "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                                "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                                Comment

                                Working...