The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    A system that allows a one-term president to have a generational legacy over the judiciary is a broken system.
    I agree with you that the Democrats broke the system.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
      She should have retired under Obama. The term limits problems have been well articulated here already.
      Yep. And I will continue to highlight the problems with the current system!
      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
      - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        I agree with you that the Democrats broke the system.
        Ha! I am so glad that evil Mormon democrat Harry Reid is gone.
        "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
          So which is it?

The thought of Dems packing the court genuinely fills me with dread. If that happens, just break this stupid country up. I really wish we could just agree to a more federalist system. Let counties and states have more power than the feds. It is the only way to save this country.
          You serious Clark? The Dems are going to break the country up? Jesus

Comment

• Originally posted by Now who’s the dean? View Post
            Yeah, strange talk. It ignores how Trump has abused federal police force and how Barr is acting like a criminal accomplice. It's hard to take Libertarians serious when they are just more hard right instead of 3rd way.
            Then again, the Koch brothers have had a ton of influence over the Libertarian Party and pushed it in that direction. The are the biggest backers of the Reason Foundation (which is responsible for the not-exactly non-partisan Reason Magazine).

Libertarian is like communism. It sounds like good on paper and has some worthy principles, but applied in the most extreme form is unsustainable. I want meat inspectors, the FDA, safety regulations etc. Look no further than prisons to see that privatization can often make government programming worse.

Also, let's put to bed the notion that a group of primarily autonomous states could actually function. Someone is definitely an American before they are a Rhode Islander. We've thrived as a unified nation not a bunch of fiefdoms. There's an argument for more local control and states rights (Trump is horrid on this master, just look at his efforts to strong Dem govs. regarding covid response) but 50 little countries is idealogical foolishness.
            Last edited by frank ryan; 09-19-2020, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Now who’s the dean? View Post
              Uh, no. I didn't say the Dems will break it up. I say break it up. Look, at heart I am a Hayekian libertarian. But that reality ain't happening anytime soon. So in practice I guess I am a federalist. Right now we have 2 parties vying to control and micromanage the population as monolith. And it can't govern on such a grand scale. Congress has abdicated it's role to the executive. And the executive is dependent on the courts to essentially legislate on it's behalf. With so much polarization, how can we get out of this mess? Allow for decision making to occur close to home and less in Washington. But I still think we should break it all up
              Last edited by USUC; 09-19-2020, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Yep, I know a lot of people that hate Trump's antics but they justified voting for him in 2016 because of this court appointees and because Hillary was awful. They are leaning Biden but I bet this pushes some of them back to Trump. I'm not one of them. I'm voting for Biden but I can see MJ and Moli Jr voting for Trump if it means a conservative justice replaces RBG on the Supreme Court.
                Fix your shit, man. No other success can compensate for failure in the home.
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Interesting tweet thread on the history of Supreme Court vacancies right before and after an election:

https://twitter.com/profbriankalt/st...123492425?s=21

If those numbers are right, there has been 16 vacancies between the March preceding the general election and Inauguration Day. Of those 16, 7 vacancies were filled during the lame duck section.

The political “elites” in the media will tell you otherwise, but there are no “norms” when it comes to filling Supreme Court vacancies. The only norm that matters is that people with political power will exercise it ... every time. And why shouldn’t they?

Comment

• Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                    Interesting tweet thread on the history of Supreme Court vacancies right before and after an election:

If those numbers are right, there has been 16 vacancies between the March preceding the general election and Inauguration Day. Of those 16, 7 vacancies were filled during the lame duck section.

The political “elites” in the media will tell you otherwise, but there are no “norms” when it comes to filling Supreme Court vacancies. The only norm that matters is that people with political power will exercise it ... every time. And why shouldn’t they?
                    They should. Unless they set the new rules last time this happened. Specifically set the rules for this exact scenario with this exact President at this exact time.
                    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                      Interesting tweet thread on the history of Supreme Court vacancies right before and after an election:

Yeah, I saw something similar to that today. If the GOP replaces RBG and they do it within the rules, I can’t blame them. Both political parties bend the rules to get what they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Yeah, I saw something similar to that today. If the GOP replaces RBG and they do it within the rules, I can’t blame them. Both political parties bend the rules to get what they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        It would be one of the greatest, most blatant acts of political hypocrisy in history.

Mitt has vowed to wait on a vote. Good for him.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Mitt has vowed to wait on a vote. Good for him.
                          I hadn't seen that but I'm not surprised. Glad he said that. I think that makes three R senators that have stated they won't support any nom, right? So they need one more I think.
                          "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                          "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                          This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                          "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                          "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            It would be one of the greatest, most blatant acts of political hypocrisy in history.
                            Hyperbole much?

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Tic View Post
                              I wouldn't presume to speculate about who you, or any other given LDS voter out there, would really vote for. There are always outliers. But I would wager that a strong majority of those church members who like to pride themselves on being "politically independent" actually have a long history of pulling the lever overwhelming for Rs in the voting booth. The passing of RBG just gives them a pretext to do what they were going to do anyway, whether they wanted to admit that to themselves or not.
                              I would wager that the vast majority of mormons in Utah, at least, will pull the lever for Trump. For a religion that fancies itself on being God's first string, it's hard to imagine that so many of them are morally indifferent.
                              "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                                I hadn't seen that but I'm not surprised. Glad he said that. I think that makes three R senators that have stated they won't support any nom, right? So they need one more I think.
                                Really wish there were already three. So, with the constitution hanging by a thread, Mitt could ride in as the fourth.
                                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Working...
                                X