Clear All

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Can I take that back?

McConnell is a piece of shit
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      I was just wondering how a split Supreme Court decision is settled. Guess we may find out when the mail in ballot case comes before the court. The only question is which political party sued first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      A split decision is no decision. Basically, it’s like they never granted certiorari.
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Tic View Post
        Problem is, the Republicans don’t pick up any new votes on that issue. The Trumpster base isn’t going to expand and they’re already highly motivated to vote so nothing changes. But it will indeed catalyze the hard left that was unenthusiastic about Biden, and some independents that are wary of the balance of SCOTUS tipping too far right.

I don’t think that’s true at all. Just in my own circles I know three people who were on the fence before and are pushing toward Trump now that there is a vacancy.

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
          I don’t think that’s true at all. Just in my own circles I know three people who were on the fence before and are pushing toward Trump now that there is a vacancy.
          It could be that he really will widen his base, and grab some more moderates, or perhaps what you're seeing is people aren't ashamed to say they're voting for Trump now that they have a "good reason". Perhaps this will make polling more accurate as a result.

Comment

So you really know folks who were going to support Biden and just now are deciding to vote for Trump? Interesting. (If they are LDS lifelong Republicans who were making noise about voting Democrat for the first time ever, I have news for you: no, they weren’t going to do it anyway).

Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
            --William Blake, via Shpongle

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
              So here is a question for the democratic learning folks here. In your world view, what is more damaging to the country. A conservative Supreme Court or 4 more years of Trump?
              Easy call. Four more years of Trump.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Tic View Post
                So you really know folks who were going to support Biden and just now are deciding to vote for Trump? Interesting. (If they are LDS lifelong Republicans who were making noise about voting Democrat for the first time ever, I have news for you: no, they weren’t going to do it anyway).

More like they were leaning Biden or opting out, but are now leaning trump. But I know several. Heck, I might be one of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Easy call. Four more years of Trump.
                  Exactly. Which is why I think it is advantageous to just get the nominating in and in the process. Eliminate that carrot for some Swing voters
                  "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

I don’t understand this. Did they think RBG was going to live until 2025?

Comment

More like they were leaning Biden or opting out, but are now leaning trump. But I know several. Heck, I might be one of them.
                      I honestly do not understand this. What possible wins that could come from a solid conservative majority would be worth another 4 years of daily presidential-induced chaos?
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

I wouldn't presume to speculate about who you, or any other given LDS voter out there, would really vote for. There are always outliers. But I would wager that a strong majority of those church members who like to pride themselves on being "politically independent" actually have a long history of pulling the lever overwhelming for Rs in the voting booth. The passing of RBG just gives them a pretext to do what they were going to do anyway, whether they wanted to admit that to themselves or not.
                        Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
                        --William Blake, via Shpongle

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                          McConnell is a piece of shit
                          I agree, but he runs political circles around the democratic leadership. In just four years, Moscow Mitch has packed the federal courts with conservative male white judges that will last a generation. Dude is a political mastermind with absolutely no ethics or morals.
                          "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• A system that allows a one-term president to have a generational legacy over the judiciary is a broken system. Just like the one that incentivizes a dying SC justice to hold on to life, to deny that president the opportunity.

Term limits for SCOTUS. Failing that, I will support a mandatory retirement age.
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                              A system that allows a one-term president to have a generational legacy over the judiciary is a broken system. Just like the one that incentivizes a dying SC justice to hold on to life, to deny that president the opportunity.

Term limits for SCOTUS. Failing that, I will support a mandatory retirement age.
                              She should have retired under Obama. The term limits problems have been well articulated here already.

Comment

Yep, I know a lot of people that hate Trump's antics but they justified voting for him in 2016 because of this court appointees and because Hillary was awful. They are leaning Biden but I bet this pushes some of them back to Trump. I'm not one of them. I'm voting for Biden but I can see MJ and Moli Jr voting for Trump if it means a conservative justice replaces RBG on the supreme court.
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X