The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Knock it off. The US constitution was signed in 1787. The world's first vaccination occurred in England in 1796. Medicine was a joke until the mid to late nineteenth century - it probably did as much harm as it did good.
    Have you not considered that SU likes it that way?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Knock it off. The US constitution was signed in 1787. The world's first vaccination occurred in England in 1796. Medicine was a joke until the mid to late nineteenth century - it probably did as much harm as it did good.
      This is beside the point. But it wasn't a total joke. Stop being such a smarty pants.

https://www.britannica.com/science/h...e-18th-century

Vaccines didn't just happen from one day to the next. Medicine was launched.
      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
        No. He's the one who wanted life terms for senators as well as judges.
        But how did he feel about tractors?
        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
          This is beside the point. But it wasn't a total joke. Stop being such a smarty pants.
          Folks, this is the closest thing we have to SU admitting he is wrong about something.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
            Theodoric of York, Medieval Barber! They should have included a dental plan as well; poor George.
            Speaking of George, he was a fan of bloodletting. Might actually be what killed him - or at least contributed to his death.

Bloodletting was also popular in the young United States of America, where Benjamin Rush (a signatory of the Declaration of Independence) saw the state of the arteries as the key to disease, recommending levels of bloodletting that were high even for the time. George Washington asked to be bled heavily after he developed a throat infection from weather exposure. Within a ten-hour period, a total of 124–126 ounces (3.75 liters) of blood was withdrawn prior to his death from a throat infection in 1799
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodl...n%20in%201799.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Speaking of George, he was a fan of bloodletting. Might actually be what killed him - or at least contributed to his death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodl...n%20in%201799.
              That reminds me of the scene in the John Adams miniseries where he’s sick in the Netherlands and the doctor is bloodletting him. Yuck!
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                That reminds me of the scene in the John Adams miniseries where he’s sick in the Netherlands and the doctor is bloodletting him. Yuck!
                It is crazy how common it was. On top of all of the erroneous theories on what it was supposed to accomplish, I guess it gave some kind of temporary feeling of euphoria, which helped convince people it was beneficial.

Comment

It is crazy how common it was. On top of all of the erroneous theories on what it was supposed to accomplish, I guess it gave some kind of temporary feeling of euphoria, which helped convince people it was beneficial.
                  Lightheadedness?
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Perhaps because it was the scientific consensus of the time?

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                      I wonder what scientific consensus we have today that will be looked down upon in another 200 years the same way we view blood letting.

Comment

• The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                        Nope. The medical community didn’t even start using the scientific method until the late 1800s. Prior to that it was mainly the observational method and folklore. It was precisely the scientific method that debunked bloodletting.

Comment

Nope. The medical community didn’t even start using the scientific method until the late 1800s. Prior to that it was mainly the observational method and folklore. It was precisely the scientific method that debunked bloodletting.
                          I don't think he meant scientific method. Just general agreement among practitioners that it worked.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

What!? This is absolutely not true. The Enlightenment is defined as the beginning of the scientific revolution and rediscovery of the scientific method. Of course, they didn't have all the answers, but that is what science is all about. What nonsense have you been reading?
                            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                              I don't think he meant scientific method. Just general agreement among practitioners that it worked.

So, like, a group of doctors who believe what they are doing helps cure their patients because that is what they have personally observed in their limited, anecdotal experience? Glad we have the scientific method now to prevent a group like that from speaking up and misleading people.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Medicine employed the scientific method in the eighteenth century, long before the"late 1800s."

https://www.rcseng.ac.uk/-/media/fil...d-medicine.pdf

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Working...
                                X