The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
    I think it's a Constitutional right for a citizen to be represented the same as their neighbor even if their political preferences are different. How is that off base?
    Take it up with your state's courts and legislatures.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
      Take it up with your state's courts and legislatures.
      State's courts? That's exactly what people did in these cases and they all ruled against the gerrymandering. So now the Supreme court has reversed it. Ok, maybe the legislatures then. The tide I think is to push back on the extreme partisanship fortunately.
      Last edited by BlueK; 06-27-2019, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Sure, but it's still a constitutional issue.
        No, it's not. That is what the supreme court just ruled, and with good reason. Unless the actions otherwise impinge on constitutional rights, the court can't dive in to that issue. The government, including the court, is not our parent and unless authorized should not be trying to fix all things some or even most of us dislike, Kagan's histrionic dissent notwithstanding.

At this point we are just repeating ourselves. You simply dislike the result, which is fine. I dislike the gerrymandering, but think the reasoning of the opinion (which does not endorse gerrymandering) is correct.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I think it's a Constitutional right for a citizen to be represented the same as their neighbor even if their political preferences are different. How is that off base?
          What provision(s) of the Constitution are you being this belief on?
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
            California is an example of Democrats doing the right thing. They’ve taken redistricting out of partisan hands. They could have an all D delegation if they wanted to.

It’s hard for people’s voices to be heard when their legislative seats are gerrymandered to hell
            Do you live in California? This place is so fucked it isn't even funny. The Democrats are running people out of the state in droves. They just changed the law so that the top two vote getters are THE ONLY TWO ON THE BALLOT. So...it doesn't matter who the Republicans put up, you will never get to vote for that candidate.

State is in debt. Homelessness is on the rise and out of control. Immigration policy and benefits is unsustainable. Pensions for government employees and service agencies (Police, Fire, Corrections) are underfunded. But you know what? An example to the entire fucking country says you.

Also...roads have gone to shit. Gas tax is right around .75 a gallon. We are building a fucking high speed rail between Merced and Bakersfield. I live in Bakersfield. You know what is between Merced and Bakersfield? Baby carrots, Almonds, Halo Oranges, Oil, and fucking tumbleweeds. 10.6 billion dollars for Bakersfield to Merced. THAT BOILS DOWN TO 89 MILLION PER MILE. A steal at half the price.

Comment

• Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
              Fix ALL gerrymandering. It's wrong regardless of who does it.
              I'm sure creekster has this covered, but the point of today's decision isn't that gerrymandering is a good thing. The point is that the Constitution leaves it to the state legislatures to fix. The Supreme Court, not an elected body that is appointed for life, has no power to fix it. Ultimately, the decision today could be characterized as a supremely democratic holding. It also follows precedent. In the final analysis, if gerrymandering is a product of the democratic process, doesn't that arguably redeem it? If the voters don't like it, they have recourse.
              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

State's courts? That's exactly what people did in these cases and they all ruled against the gerrymandering. So now the Supreme court has reversed it. Ok, maybe the legislatures then. The tide I think is to push back on the extreme partisanship fortunately.
                The Supreme court decision was from federal district courts, not state courts.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                  California is an example of Democrats doing the right thing. They’ve taken redistricting out of partisan hands. They could have an all D delegation if they wanted to.

It’s hard for people’s voices to be heard when their legislative seats are gerrymandered to hell
                  Good for California! This is actually how the Supreme Court says it should be done.
                  When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                    Do you live in California? This place is so fucked it isn't even funny. The Democrats are running people out of the state in droves. They just changed the law so that the top two vote getters are THE ONLY TWO ON THE BALLOT. So...it doesn't matter who the Republicans put up, you will never get to vote for that candidate.

State is in debt. Homelessness is on the rise and out of control. Immigration policy and benefits is unsustainable. Pensions for government employees and service agencies (Police, Fire, Corrections) are underfunded. But you know what? An example to the entire fucking country says you.

Also...roads have gone to shit. Gas tax is right around .75 a gallon. We are building a fucking high speed rail between Merced and Bakersfield. I live in Bakersfield. You know what is between Merced and Bakersfield? Baby carrots, Almonds, Halo Oranges, Oil, and fucking tumbleweeds. 10.6 billion dollars for Bakersfield to Merced. THAT BOILS DOWN TO 89 MILLION PER MILE. A steal at half the price.
                    But I hear now they have banned those awful e-cigarettes in San Fran and are handing out those funny looking drink straws for free since restaurants stop giving them to folks... how bad can it be?

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                      But I hear now they have banned those awful e-cigarettes in San Fran and are handing out those funny looking drink straws for free since restaurants stop giving them to folks... how bad can it be?
                      LOL... You have to hand it to MickyD's for being creative (not to mention environmental for recycling those fancy plastic drinking straws):

"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Yes, it is hard to think of California as a shining example in almost anything. And if the silicon valley boom ever goes bust, as it will someday, things will get very, very messy.

The funny thing is that the result of California's anti-gerrymandering reform is that seats never change parties. The supposedly neutral commission drew lines that have resulted in an almost guaranteed democratic majority in perpetuity, which is the precise result that BlueK and others seem to fear. I love a lot of things about living in california, but nothing about state government is on that list.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Yes, it is hard to think of California as a shining example in almost anything. And if the silicon valley boom ever goes bust, as it will someday, things will get very, very messy.
                          Yeah, if Drumpf keeps up with these damn Chinese tariffs that might happen... Apple is scrambling to move its manufacturing already. Maybe they should consider setting something up in Mexico for all those central america immigrants. Those dudes have small hands and might be good at it. Apple could get Beto to run it.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

The funny thing is that the result of California's anti-gerrymandering reform is that seats never change parties. The supposedly neutral commission drew lines that have resulted in an almost guaranteed democratic majority in perpetuity, which is the precise result that BlueK and others seem to fear. I love a lot of things about living in california, but nothing about state government is on that list.
                            The California government is going to kill off the things of this state that are enjoyable. Just be patient.

Comment

My congressional district had 2 republicans as the finalists on the ballot. It was weird.

Comment

My Dad always says this. I never really understand its real meaning.

Comment

Working...
                                X