The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
    Human memory just isn't very reliable, and it certainly isn't as reliable as we *think* it is.
    Exactly. I am shocked this isn't getting more coverage in the press.

The more I think of BK's performance, the more I think he didn't appear very SCOTUS-worthy with the highly partisan and vitriolic nature of his response. Yeah I get the personal nature of the moment, but yowza.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

The more I think of BK's performance, the more I think he didn't appear very SCOTUS-worthy with the highly partisan and vitriolic nature of his response. Yeah I get the personal nature of the moment, but yowza.
      How did he do as far as a Supreme Court demeanor during the first round of questioning? This entire testimony was about whether or not he sexually assaulted somebody with extremely flimsy evidence. I would make my conclusions about his demeanor based more upon the questioning he received about actual legal questions.
      Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
      -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
      -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• What is the FBI investigation seeking to find? I tend to agree with Northwest's conclusion that the entire purpose of the FBI investigation is to provide Murkowski and Collins, and peripherally perhaps Manchin and Heitkamp, more cover to vote for the guy. But I wonder what the FBI can investigate that has any questions yet to be answered. It will still be a "she said/he said" without any level of corroborating evidence unless you just don't want the guy on the Supreme Court because he will not likely rule the way you want or because of irrational Trump bitterness.
        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
        -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
        -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
          Human memory just isn't very reliable, and it certainly isn't as reliable as we *think* it is.
          But she would never, ever forget the person that tried to assault her. It’s burned into her memory so she would never forget.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
            What is the FBI investigation seeking to find? I tend to agree with Northwest's conclusion that the entire purpose of the FBI investigation is to provide Murkowski and Collins, and peripherally perhaps Manchin and Heitkamp, more cover to vote for the guy. But I wonder what the FBI can investigate that has any questions yet to be answered. It will still be a "she said/he said" without any level of corroborating evidence unless you just don't want the guy on the Supreme Court because he will not likely rule the way you want or because of irrational Trump bitterness.
            Exactly. And why not dig into it for a week? You still get your vote before the election.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

I find the great lack of questions from the left about BK's 300+ opinions disturbing in this whole process. All the dems wanted to do is question BK about things from his high school years. Given the great lack of actual evidence of Ford's claims I don't blame him to be mad. The response seems inline with previous a SCOTUS candidate that also faced "high-tech lynchings" from the left. The question that the left should be asking is if BK is going to hold this circus against them once he is seated on the SCOTUS.
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Exactly. And why not dig into it for a week? You still get your vote before the election.
                I agree. The FBI has a lot to be digging into... Ford's phone records, bank records, financial records, which dems that met with her or may have paid her, etc. This may take more than a week, however.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                  She mentioned how her background is in the legal field, so she was going to use legal terms, etc. Preponderance is the lowest bar for proof, the easiest standard to meet.
                  Well there's administrative law which I think is"some evidence". That's the standard I think they would really be using

Comment

• Did the prosecutor also scrutinize Kavanaugh? Seems odd that they used her at all. It's not a criminal trial.

Comment

Plus it sounds like the FBI's investigation is limited by the White House, so there won't be any real risk to the nominee.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                        Did the prosecutor also scrutinize Kavanaugh? Seems odd that they used her at all. It's not a criminal trial.
                        The prosecutor was working for the GOP'ers. The dems were to damn cheap to pay for their own.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                          Any chance that BK is compromised? Does this process taint his voice on the SC moving forward?
                          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Whether it is the process that has compromised him, or just his bias, I agree with you. Short of the FBI digging anything significant up, I think we're stuck with what we have.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                            Any chance that BK is compromised? Does this process taint his voice on the SC moving forward?
                            Yeah, I am guessing that BK may not be very nice for the left, especially for issues that may make it to the SCOTUS that may be near and dear to Dr. Ford's heart... (or maybe her stock options).
                            Last edited by Uncle Ted; 10-01-2018, 09:24 AM.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                              Yeah, I am guessing that BK may not be very nice for the left, especially for issues that may make it to the SCOTUS that may be near and dear to Dr. Ford's heart... (or maybe stock options).
                              Geez, UT. Those are nasty accusations.

Comment

• Kavanaugh's Yale classmates who say he's lying about his drinking habits want to talk to the FBI, but are reportedly being ignored

An attorney for Elizabeth Rasor, Judge's college girlfriend who says Kavanaugh's friend Mark Judge once told her that he and other boys took turns having sex with a drunk woman during high school, has "received no substantive response" from the FBI after making Rasor's desire to speak with the FBI clear to both the bureau and the Senate Judiciary Committee.
                                "She feels a sense of civic duty to tell what she knows," the attorney, Roberta Kaplan, told The New Yorker. "But the only response we've gotten are e-mails saying that our e-mails have been 'received.'"

Rasor's story appears to align with separate allegations made by Julie Swetnick, who alleges that Kavanaugh and Judge were present during "'gang' or 'train' rapes" of teenage girls at high-school parties in the early 1980s.

The president claims that he has given the FBI "free rein" to investigation the claims, despite reports that the White House is working in concert with Senate Republicans to determine the parameters of the weeklong probe.

The FBI reportedly plans to interview four witnesses — Mark Judge; Deborah Ramirez, a Yale classmate of Kavanaugh's who says he drunkenly exposed himself to her; Leland Keyser, a friend of Ford's who allegedly attended the gathering where Ford says she was assaulted; and P.J. Smyth, a friend of Kavanaugh's who Ford says also attended the small house party.

The lead lawyer for Ford, who testified last week that Kavanaugh pinned her to a bed and groped her at the 1982 party, said her client has not been contacted by the FBI.
                                https://www.businessinsider.com/kava...rce=reddit.com

If the FBI is restrained to those witnesses, it's a foregone conclusion that Kavanaugh will be fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X