No announcement yet.

The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal eagles, what’s the deal with the perjury allegation against Kavanaugh? Is it significant?

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...-hearings.html
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
      Legal eagles, what’s the deal with the perjury allegation against Kavanaugh? Is it significant?

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...-hearings.html
      No. Decidedly insignificant.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
        No. Decidedly insignificant.
        A couple of people who I thought were non-partisan said he would face impeachment with a dem controlled house. It sounded like hyperbole.
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

Comment

A couple of people who I thought were non-partisan said he would face impeachment with a dem controlled house. It sounded like hyperbole.
          They might impeach him in the House if the trump era of nuttiness truly has no bounds. But they would never convict him in the Senate. Nor should they.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

They might impeach him in the House if the trump era of nuttiness truly has no bounds. But they would never convict him in the Senate. Nor should they.
            Is that because it's perjury-lite, and not 'significant' perjury? Because it seems like he did commit perjury in the strictest sense.
            - SeattleUte

Comment

Is that because it's perjury-lite, and not 'significant' perjury? Because it seems like he did commit perjury in the strictest sense.
              Perjury is a specific intent crime. Its not just did you testify inconsistently, or make a mistake, or get it wrong, you have to specifically intend to give false testimony. Here, I haven't seen anything that would come close to meeting that standard. If you listened to Kavanaugh, when presented with the emails including the "draft" documents, he claimed that he had not realized at the time it was a draft or where it came from. It would be very, very difficult to overcome that testimony to show the required specific intent.

Here is an article talking about it.
              https://www.vox.com/2018/9/7/1782932...earing-perjury
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Perjury is a specific intent crime. Its not just did you testify inconsistently, or make a mistake, or get it wrong, you have to specifically intend to give false testimony. Here, I haven't seen anything that would come close to meeting that standard. If you listened to Kavanaugh, when presented with the emails including the "draft" documents, he claimed that he had not realized at the time it was a draft or where it came from. It would be very, very difficult to overcome that testimony to show the required specific intent.

Here is an article talking about it.
                https://www.vox.com/2018/9/7/1782932...earing-perjury
                Ok thanks for the article. That helped.
                - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                  https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0162f472b242e

OMG! Brett Kavanaugh was planning a sailing trip! (Sails are white and this shows clearly that he is racist.)
                  Where else would he conspire to overturn Wade?

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0162f472b242e

OMG! Brett Kavanaugh was planning a sailing trip! (Sails are white and this shows clearly that he is racist.)
                    I just wasted part of my life reading an article about parsing a 17 y/o email. Inane doesn't go far enough.
                    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Democrats are again vilifying someone that doesn’t deserve to be vilified. It reminds me of what they did to Romney during the 2012 election. I’m not sure why they can’t just have disagreements with policy instead of trying to demonize anyone and anything that isn’t on their team. It’s frankly disgusting and a reminder of why I’m struggling to even vote for Beto O’rourke (despite the fact his name reminds me of that Mexican fast food chain in Utah). Oh, I’ll still vote for Beto, but man the dems sure make it tough.
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• High school? Good grief.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            High school? Good grief.

Time for another lynching by the democrats!

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              High school? Good grief.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                                Speaking of mob justice...for over a hundred years (that’s a century for those keeping track at home), UT has held a pep rally called the torchlight parade on the Wednesday night before OU-Texas. True to its name, it involves thousands of students carrying torches in a winding route to the Tower, where the cheerleaders and band lead the rally.

Last year the parade was preceded by the tragic white-supremacist rally in Charlottesville, which also involved torches. In the interest of public relations, the University decided not to include the traditional torches in the rally. Makes sense, right? Too soon. Today the university announced it will never use torches again due to the “racist connotations and overtones.”

Comment

Working...
                                X